OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

I'd like to point out that this is not true and you will be hearing from my solicitors Messrs Sue Grabbitt & Runne.

Being called a Linfield fan should be good for a few million :biggrin:

I enjoy going to Irish League football but don't really have a team.

I knew he was telling lies Gary (and don't mention Carrick Jim, our wheels are off big time).

I knew he was telling lies Gary (and don't mention Carrick Jim, our wheels are off big time).

:biggrin: Ask Gary which IL team he has seen live most times!! :thumbsup:

:biggrin: Ask Gary which IL team he has seen live most times!! :thumbsup:

Sorry Jim, I'm not wearing it - as I said I spoke to a few Republic supporters in Paris during the summer who spoke glowingly of Gary so they can't all be bad judges of character!

Sorry Jim, I'm not wearing it - as I said I spoke to a few Republic supporters in Paris during the summer who spoke glowingly of Gary so they can't all be bad judges of character!

:sarcastic:

Following Sunday we have now climbed to 24th in the UEFA rankings which would be the lowest ranked team in League B.

Still a lot of changes to go, only 2 wins gap between 12th and 25th but just for interest our current possible opponents would be;

From pot 1 Austria, B&H, Wales, RoI

From pot 2 Netherlands, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine

So we could end up in a situation where we regularly play the ROI in a competitive fixture.

This will surely end well.

We've been promoted. Yaaaaay!

Oh, hang on.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2017/04/06/58e67127268e3e1b4f8b4683.html

Following on, the following twelve teams that would be in League B are: the Republic of Ireland, Russia, Austria, Sweden, Slovakia, Wales, Ukraine, the Netherlands, Northern Ireland, the Czech Republic, Turkey, and Hungary.

So when will it be finalised what group we would be in? After WC qualifying?

Yip.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2079553.html

• In the first edition of the competition, the participating sides will be classified according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings (ranking as per 15 November 2017, i.e. conclusion of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers)

This is really confusing. Reading the Wiki page and the UEFA page I have some grasp on it but my god they have over complicated this.

Am I right in saying the "Final Four" competition in June 2019 for teams in League A is to determine the overall winner and will be allocated a qualifying spot?

Are the "qualifying play-offs" in March 2020 the same thing only for teams in the lower leagues? I think I am right in saying its the highest placed from each Nations League B-D qualifying group that hasn't got qualified through the March-Nov 2019 goes in to this play-off?

What a melt!

As it stands:

LEAGUE A (teams to be split into four groups of three)

Germany, France, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, England, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Poland, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina

LEAGUE B (teams to be split into four groups of three)
Republic of Ireland, Russia, Austria, Sweden, Slovakia, Wales, Ukraine, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary

LEAGUE C (teams to be split into one group of three, and three groups of four)
Greece, Romania, Slovenia, Israel, Serbia, Denmark, Bulgaria, Albania, Scotland, Montenegro, Norway, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Armenia

LEAGUE D (teams to be split into four groups of four)
Estonia, Finland, Belarus, Georgia, Faroe Islands, Latvia, FYR Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Kosovo, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

Am I right in saying the "Final Four" competition in June 2019 for teams in League A is to determine the overall winner and will be allocated a qualifying spot?

Yes .......... probably ......... :mellow:

Are the "qualifying play-offs" in March 2020 the same thing only for teams in the lower leagues? I think I am right in saying its the highest placed from each Nations League B-D qualifying group that hasn't got qualified through the March-Nov 2019 goes in to this play-off?

That's my reading of it.

March 2020, before you know if you've qualified for a tournament that's being played in June 2020. UEFA, always thinking of the fans.

What a melt!

Bikkies isn't it?

As far as I can see they've come up with a plan where it could, quite conceivably, be in a team's best interest to throw a match.

No the winner of the Final Four will not be allocated a qualifying spot.

At the end of the Nations League the qualifying draw will be made with ten groups sending the top 2 to the finals.

Then for each Nations League section (A-D) the next best 4 that haven't qualified will be allowed playoff for one place via 2 semi finals and a final. Now it will probably mean that everyone in Group A and Group B who have not already qualified will have this final chance. Most (if not all) of the Group A countries will come through the qualifiers.

Here is how I think it will work.

12 Group A countries - say 10 qualify then the remaining 2 go to the March playoffs.

12 Group B countries say 7 qualify - the next best 4 go to the Group B March playoff and the remaining one goes to Group A March playoff.

15 Group C countries say 3 qualify. the next best 4 go to Group C March playoff and next best goes to Group A March playoff.

16 Group D countries say none qualify - 4 winners meet to decide a place in the finals.

That all seems pretty pointless. So the Nations league is pretty much a stand alone tournament as only 4 places are decided from that. The question has to asked if countries will buy into this. There is no point in promotion and relegation if there is not another nations league. When is the next nations league supposed to be run? Will it be 2 years before next World Cup or 4 years until next Euros?

There are a lot of worrying scenarios, such as, if you finish 2nd in your nations league group to a team who ends up in your qualifying group. You may be in a position where losing to them guarantees them 1st or 2nd in your qualification group therefore giving you a play off berth. I'm sure there's other similar issues when you study it

That all seems pretty pointless. So the Nations league is pretty much a stand alone tournament as only 4 places are decided from that. The question has to asked if countries will buy into this. There is no point in promotion and relegation if there is not another nations league. When is the next nations league supposed to be run? Will it be 2 years before next World Cup or 4 years until next Euros?

There are a lot of worrying scenarios, such as, if you finish 2nd in your nations league group to a team who ends up in your qualifying group. You may be in a position where losing to them guarantees them 1st or 2nd in your qualification group therefore giving you a play off berth. I'm sure there's other similar issues when you study it

It will be held every 2 years so the 2nd one will run in the Autumn of 2020 with the winners crowned in June 2021. I don't think there will be World Cup places on offer though for 2022.

Seeding for tournaments will be based on the Nations League.

I imagine promotion to the top league will be very lucrative with 2 potential home games v the big guys eg Germany or Spain.

The scenario you mentioned is possible albeit unlikely. It cannot happen in Group B as all 4 winners and all 4 runners up will be in Pot 2 for the Euro2020 draw. It could happen lower down.

In reality all teams in Group A and Group B of the UEFA Nations League will almost certainly qualify for Euro2020 or end up in the March playoffs for a place. 9 of the 24 teams in Group A & Group B would have to miss out on direct qualification for this not to be the case and even then only one of the 9 doesn't get a playoff.

However those March playoffs would require 2 wins in "one off" games to qualify. Home advantage could be crucial here as they are single venue mini tournaments. I think it is 2 semi finals and a final. I'm guessing the regulations may stipulate a minimum size stadium to host these games too.

I think it is worth a try and better than meaningless friendlies.

It will be a nightmare for away fans though with less time to plan trips.

The main point according to UEFA seems to be a way of making "friendlies" a bit more competitive, filling out the calendar and providing some more balanced fixtures for the minnows. The cynics among us would suggest that there is financial gain behind it all.

The Nations League is to run every two years in the autumn following each Euro or World Cup with the top four competition in the following June. It is not known yet if the second edition will provide play off spots for the World Cup. I would suspect not, I cannot imagine FIFA would be in favour.

The top four tournament in June 2019 determines the winner of the league only, it does not give the winners a Euro place, the A division has play offs in the following March along with the other divisions.

The timing of the play offs for the Euros does raise questions, well over a year after the league and only 3 months before the tournament. As turin says knowing the ranking for the play offs before the qualifying tournament could raise issues of integrity. I remember the Irish League format some years back leaving Bangor(?) needing to lose on the final day to avoid relegation.

What happens if all division A countries qualify for the Euros? That is quite possible. Who fills the places? There is potential for a lower ranked non qualifier from division B to get play off opponents from division C while the top 4 non qualifiers have to play each other. Some questions still to be answered.