OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

I think it is worth a try and better than meaningless friendlies.

Yes, but linking it to qualification is questionable.

The main point according to UEFA seems to be a way of making "friendlies" a bit more competitive, filling out the calendar and providing some more balanced fixtures for the minnows. The cynics among us would suggest that there is financial gain behind it all.

The Nations League is to run every two years in the autumn following each Euro or World Cup with the top four competition in the following June. It is not known yet if the second edition will provide play off spots for the World Cup. I would suspect not, I cannot imagine FIFA would be in favour.

The top four tournament in June 2019 determines the winner of the league only, it does not give the winners a Euro place, the A division has play offs in the following March along with the other divisions.

The timing of the play offs for the Euros does raise questions, well over a year after the league and only 3 months before the tournament. As turin says knowing the ranking for the play offs before the qualifying tournament could raise issues of integrity. I remember the Irish League format some years back leaving Bangor(?) needing to lose on the final day to avoid relegation.

What happens if all division A countries qualify for the Euros? That is quite possible. Who fills the places? There is potential for a lower ranked non qualifier from division B to get play off opponents from division C while the top 4 non qualifiers have to play each other. Some questions still to be answered.

There is financial gain but UEFA do share their money out with national associations and clubs.

If all 12 countries from Group A qualify I'm not clear either what will happen. If 11 make it then the 12th country will face lower ranked Group B or possibly Group C opponents.

We'll have to see how it pans out. I'm not convinced there'll be more than one running of this.

This is from UEFA's website :

The UEFA Nations League kicks off in September 2018, with UEFA's 55 member associations split into four leagues – but who will be in which?

Who goes into which league?

• The 55 participating teams are split for the competition's inaugural edition into four leagues, A–B–C–D, according to their position in the UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings following the end of European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017, play-off results will not be included).
  • League A will include the 12 top-ranked teams. The next 12 teams will be in League B, the next 15 in League C and the remaining 16 in League D.
  • Leagues A and B will consist of four groups of three teams.
  • League C will comprise one group of three teams and three groups of four sides.
  • League D will be formed by four groups of four teams.
  • All draw procedures to be confirmed.
  • After the initial edition begins there will be promotion and relegation between the leagues, and the ongoing UEFA Nations League rankings will determine seedings for all future European Qualifiers.
  • FULL DETAILS: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

How would the leagues look if they were decided today?

The latest Interim National Team Coefficient Rankings were published after the most recent European Qualifiers on 11 June 2017 (not to be confused with the separate FIFA rankings). If the leagues were decided by these rankings today, here is how they would look ...

LEAGUE A (teams to be split into four groups of three)
Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, England, Poland, Croatia, Iceland, Sweden

LEAGUE B (teams to be split into four groups of three)
Slovakia, Russia, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Wales, Czech Republic, Slovenia

LEAGUE C (teams to be split into one group of three, and three groups of four)
Hungary, Denmark, Greece, Albania, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Israel, Scotland, Bulgaria, Norway, Cyprus, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Belarus

LEAGUE D (teams to be split into four groups of four)
Finland, Estonia, Armenia, Georgia, Faroe Islands, Latvia, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Malta, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

These leagues are provisional, and the line-ups will only be confirmed after the European Qualifying groups end in October. There is plenty of opportunity for teams to move up and down the categories.

However, as things stand ...

• Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Poland, Iceland and Sweden would all have a chance of a first major national-team title competing in League A, with the winners emerging from a final-four tournament between the group victors in June 2019.
  • Former European champions the Netherlands and UEFA EURO 2016 semi-finalists Wales are among those currently set for League B.
  • EURO qualifiers Hungary, Romania and Albania could be in a competitive-looking League C.
  • One side from League D would be assured of a place at UEFA EURO 2020 via play-offs that March; of those, only Latvia have previously made a major final tournament (UEFA EURO 2004).

Note that Russia and Ukraine can be in the same League, but would not be drawn into the same group. The same applies to Armenia and Azerbaijan, if the current UEFA Executive Committee decisions still apply when the draw is made.

We'll have to see how it pans out. I'm not convinced there'll be more than one running of this.

If it's a money spinner, it'll be here to stay.

Note that Russia and Ukraine can be in the same League, but would not be drawn into the same group. The same applies to Armenia and Azerbaijan, if the current UEFA Executive Committee decisions still apply when the draw is made.

And if they both make the final?

This is from UEFA's website :

The UEFA Nations League kicks off in September 2018, with UEFA's 55 member associations split into four leagues – but who will be in which?

Who goes into which league?

• The 55 participating teams are split for the competition's inaugural edition into four leagues, A–B–C–D, according to their position in the UEFA National Team Coefficient Rankings following the end of European Qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup (as per 11 October 2017, play-off results will not be included).

• League A will include the 12 top-ranked teams. The next 12 teams will be in League B, the next 15 in League C and the remaining 16 in League D.

• Leagues A and B will consist of four groups of three teams.

• League C will comprise one group of three teams and three groups of four sides.

• League D will be formed by four groups of four teams.

• All draw procedures to be confirmed.

• After the initial edition begins there will be promotion and relegation between the leagues, and the ongoing UEFA Nations League rankings will determine seedings for all future European Qualifiers.

• FULL DETAILS: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

How would the leagues look if they were decided today?

The latest Interim National Team Coefficient Rankings were published after the most recent European Qualifiers on 11 June 2017 (not to be confused with the separate FIFA rankings). If the leagues were decided by these rankings today, here is how they would look ...

LEAGUE A (teams to be split into four groups of three)

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, England, Poland, Croatia, Iceland, Sweden

LEAGUE B (teams to be split into four groups of three)

Slovakia, Russia, Netherlands, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Wales, Czech Republic, Slovenia

LEAGUE C (teams to be split into one group of three, and three groups of four)

Hungary, Denmark, Greece, Albania, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Israel, Scotland, Bulgaria, Norway, Cyprus, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Belarus

LEAGUE D (teams to be split into four groups of four)

Finland, Estonia, Armenia, Georgia, Faroe Islands, Latvia, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Malta, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

These leagues are provisional, and the line-ups will only be confirmed after the European Qualifying groups end in October. There is plenty of opportunity for teams to move up and down the categories.

However, as things stand ...

• Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Poland, Iceland and Sweden would all have a chance of a first major national-team title competing in League A, with the winners emerging from a final-four tournament between the group victors in June 2019.

• Former European champions the Netherlands and UEFA EURO 2016 semi-finalists Wales are among those currently set for League B.

• EURO qualifiers Hungary, Romania and Albania could be in a competitive-looking League C.

• One side from League D would be assured of a place at UEFA EURO 2020 via play-offs that March; of those, only Latvia have previously made a major final tournament (UEFA EURO 2004).

Crazy to think that one of the teams in League D will be at the Euros.

Crazy to think that one of the teams in League D will be at the Euros.

In one sense, of course. But after depriving them of qualifiers against the likes of Germany, Spain, France or Italy etc, they have to throw them a bone somehow.

Besides, if you had said 10 (even 5) years ago that the likes of NI, Albania, Wales and Iceland would be adorning Euro2016, people would have said you're mad.

In one sense, of course. But after depriving them of qualifiers against the likes of Germany, Spain, France or Italy etc, they have to throw them a bone somehow.

Hold on I'm a little confused! Isn't this all in addition to the Euro qualifiers so the small teams will still get to play the likes of Germany, Spain, France & Northern Ireland?

Hold on I'm a little confused! Isn't this all in addition to the Euro qualifiers so the small teams will still get to play the likes of Germany, Spain, France & Northern Ireland?

Yeah, but this idea is meant to replace friendlies.

So without some sort of incentive, they'll just be so many more friendlies...

P.S. Not saying I agree with it, but in the end, one minnow amongst 24 finalists is hardly a big deal, when there shouldn't really be more than 16 finalists anyhow (imo)

Yeah, but this idea is meant to replace friendlies.

So without some sort of incentive, they'll just be so many more friendlies...

P.S. Not saying I agree with it, but in the end, one minnow amongst 24 finalists is hardly a big deal, when there shouldn't really be more than 16 finalists anyhow (imo)

Fair point.

Although I must admit I'd be miffed if we missed out on qualification and Kazakhstan were on the way to the Euros!

As well as giving 4 qualification spots it determines the seeding for "actual" qualifying which I think is a great idea, really does put something on every match.

Is there not a flaw in his argument, though? (Only briefly scanned it)

He's saying Finland are currently bottom of League C, and having little else to play for, would be better off losing their last couple of games to get relegated to League D, from where they've got a better chance of qualifying for Euro2020 as winners.

But what if those games were against the teams just above them i.e. teams who would also benefit from losing and thereby dropping down?

Get down to Paddy Power and lump on o.g.s, red cards and peno's!

Is there not a flaw in his argument, though? (Only briefly scanned it)

He's saying Finland are currently bottom of League C, and having little else to play for, would be better off losing their last couple of games to get relegated to League D, from where they've got a better chance of qualifying for Euro2020 as winners.

But what if those games were against the teams just above them i.e. teams who would also benefit from losing and thereby dropping down?

Get down to Paddy Power and lump on o.g.s, red cards and peno's!

Sounds a bit like Bangor then during that famous/infamous match against Ards where they stayed up by losing but would have been relegated had they won - probably the craziest day I ever had at a football game.