OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

I think it is fair to say that worst case Northern Ireland will have the fallback of the March 2020 playoffs for a place in Euro2020 now. For that not to be the case less than 16 of the other 23 teams in League A & B would have to fail to qualify.

Whoever came up with this League of Nations idea should be Knighted.

So it is still possible to get into League A with two wins. Although it probably won't be enough.

That's probably a good thing.

Lithuania v Malta is one to watch next month as Lithuania need to lose to stay in league D.

Could you imagine if the winner went to League C, and the loser to League D?

Two teams trying to lose a match would be hilarious.

I genuinely doubt UEFA have any good intentions here,the Euros will become another Champions league with the participants known before a ball has been kicked...and doubt they want us at the party either.

I like your cynicism.

Designed so that the big boys in the main play each other = more revenue for them.

I still rest my case with that argument when i remember the classic night of Healy's hat-trick against 'one of the big boys' and they sold TWENTY THREE tickets for Windsor - big country my ballix.

Gained through experience.

The only way! We've probably lived through most of that experience together...

Make no mistake Asia ain't interested in Spain playing N.I

This will guarantee the major nations playing in the Euros, they've even stopped host nations getting automatic qualification...unless it's Spain, Germany etc

Having spent an awful lot of time in S E Asia in the last lot of years I can confirm that Asia couldn't give a toss who Spain (or Germany, France, Italy or whoever the so-called big teams are) are playing - unless it's Premier League football on the box they would prefer to watch two cockroaches fighting over what's left of your dinner.

Having spent an awful lot of time in S E Asia in the last lot of years I can confirm that Asia couldn't give a toss who Spain (or Germany, France, Italy or whoever the so-called big teams are) are playing - unless it's Premier League football on the box they would prefer to watch two cockroaches fighting over what's left of your dinner.

Unfortunately UEFA would like to promote the Euros as an add on to the Champions league and EPL and la classico, don't win friends with salad over there.

Unfortunately UEFA would like to promote the Euros as an add on to the Champions league and EPL and la classico, don't win friends with salad over there.

In my humble experience over there if the bars laid on free beer and had Pique nailing his bird (singer, can't remember her name) for the half time entertainment then they still wouldn't turn out to watch the so-called 'El Classico (OK, Pique might be double booked) - unless it's the ENGLISH Premier league then they don't give a flying one.

i was in a bar in Saigon a few years ago (twenty four hours, cheap beer - happy days) when United were playing Bayern and Atletico were playing Barca and I'll swear that there was not one person watching the latter game (there were about eight TVs and seven of them were showing United).

Universal Bar on Bui Vien should you ask :tongue2:

I still rest my case with that argument when i remember the classic night of Healy's hat-trick against 'one of the big boys' and they sold TWENTY THREE tickets for Windsor - big country my ballix.

Spain is an anomaly in big time football when it comes to travelling support - quite simply, they have no tradition of it whatever.

I've been in crowds of 90k at Barca and 60k(?) at Valencia for La Liga games, and the away "support" barely broke four figures at either.

I believe that instead they customarily go to local bars and supporters clubs to watch on TV when their team is playing away - even for derby games.

Just speculating because we're two places shy? Or based on more?