OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

So what happens in the situation where say 10 of the 12 teams in League A qualify for Euro 2020 via the standard qualifiers so there are only 2 teams able to compete in the League A play-offs?

Do 2 teams from League B take their place and, if so, how are these 2 teams determined?

One of the objectives from the Nations League was to allow smaller nations the chance to qualify. If teams have to move up to the play-offs in the league above then surely this defeats the point?

Eg. If we don't qualify via the standard qualifiers then I'd rather we were in a Play-off with other teams from League B rather than 2 teams from League A.

So what happens in the situation where say 10 of the 12 teams in League A qualify for Euro 2020 via the standard qualifiers so there are only 2 teams able to compete in the League A play-offs?

Do 2 teams from League B take their place and, if so, how are these 2 teams determined?

One of the objectives from the Nations League was to allow smaller nations the chance to qualify. If teams have to move up to the play-offs in the league above then surely this defeats the point?

Eg. If we don't qualify via the standard qualifiers then I'd rather we were in a Play-off with other teams from League B rather than 2 teams from League A.

My understanding is that in your scenario

1) The best 4 teams in B (not already qualified) still enter the B playoffs. the next 2 enter the A playoffs and teams come up form C if needs be.

2) Same story if only 1 team from A

Now if all 12 teams from A qualify I'm not sure what happens.

My understanding is that in your scenario

1) The best 4 teams in B (not already qualified) still enter the B playoffs. the next 2 enter the A playoffs and teams come up form C if needs be.

2) Same story if only 1 team from A

Now if all 12 teams from A qualify I'm not sure what happens.

Near enough but not quite, there is a slightly unusual twist in that it is only the group B winners who automatically enter the B play offs. So say two of the best 4 not already qualified are group winners then the two who are not winners go into a play off but which one is not yet determined. In the example 1) above the next ranked two who you would have thought logically enter the A play offs join the first 2 and there is a draw to see which two of the non group winners go into the A play offs and which the B play offs.

Group winners are protected in that they cannot play a team from a higher league.

If all 12 As qualify the slots are filled from below, in the UEFA example it ended up 2 from B and 2 from C.

Almost all the possibilities are covered here if you can wade your through it! https://uefa.app.box.com/v/UNL/file/226762295443

Near enough but not quite, there is a slightly unusual twist in that it is only the group B winners who automatically enter the B play offs. So say two of the best 4 not already qualified are group winners then the two who are not winners go into a play off but which one is not yet determined. In the example 1) above the next ranked two who you would have thought logically enter the A play offs join the first 2 and there is a draw to see which two of the non group winners go into the A play offs and which the B play offs.

Group winners are protected in that they cannot play a team from a higher league.

If all 12 As qualify the slots are filled from below, in the UEFA example it ended up 2 from B and 2 from C.

Almost all the possibilities are covered here if you can wade your through it! https://uefa.app.box.com/v/UNL/file/226762295443

I've read the document and think my assertion above is still valid.

Page 16 of 89 Bottom up process D to A

Group winners qualify for the playoffs

Group winners already qualified are replaced by the next highest ranked.

So my understanding is that League B say 2 Group winners are already qualified then they are replaced by the next 2 best sides not qualified.

Then move to league A - say all 4 winners are through and only 1 non qualified team left. They get the next 3 best not already in playoffs B to D.

Am I missing something?

I've read the document and think my assertion above is still valid.

Page 16 of 89 Bottom up process D to A

Group winners qualify for the playoffs

Group winners already qualified are replaced by the next highest ranked.

So my understanding is that League B say 2 Group winners are already qualified then they are replaced by the next 2 best sides not qualified.

Then move to league A - say all 4 winners are through and only 1 non qualified team left. They get the next 3 best not already in playoffs B to D.

Am I missing something?

Above by Gary, I have messed up editing again! :doh:

I think the text of page 16 is at odds with the examples they show. Have you followed any of their example scenarios through? They show the process in step by step detail and the next highest ranked do not "directly" replace the missing winners. I suppose UEFA mean the missing team is replaced in the play offs by the next highest but not necessarily in the specific slot?

Anyway following their scenario 1 you would expect from the initial text that in C next best ranked Norway would replace already qualified Denmark in the one open slot. Similarly in B you expect Bosnia, Wales and Turkey to replace the 3 qualified teams. (notice that you and we are ranked 11 and 12 :crying: ). In effect they appear to select all the teams who make the play offs before filling the slots, resulting in their example with Albania (not Norway) in the C play offs and Wales, Turkey and NI (not Bosnia) in the B play offs.

Scenario 1 starts about page 20, they have the final 16 teams determined by page 37 but it is around pages 40 to 43 before this draw for allocation becomes apparent. Same sort of thing happens in scenarios 2 and 3.

Edited by The Laird

OK I had't followed the examples. I was going by the text

The first example answers the question what happens if all 12 qualify from League A.

The 2nd one does actually contradict the text (ok my reading of the text :crying: ). I see from the 2nd example 2 League A non qualified teams. Croatia and Iceland.

Slovakia, Slovenia and RoI missed out in League B. There is a draw as you suggest above which meant Croatia and Iceland are split - one in A playoffs and one in B.

Thanks great find.

To be fair I initially read it exactly as you did (and I suspect most others apart from UEFA) and it was only following the examples that highlighted the difference.

This way is actually better for Northern Ireland (and the Republic) as it increases the chances of a home playoff semi final.

Flights and tickets etc could be a nightmare though given the tight turnaround. You could be away to Sweden in a playoff semi final with the winners travelling to the winners of the other semi final which could be Ukraine v Croatia.

Thanks for posting the link and your explanation- it's definitely helped me to get my head around how it all works.

The one part I'm still confused about is when they mention 'best ranked' or 'overall ranking'. What ranking are they referring to? The UEFA ranking?

Eg in the second example they've posted, why are Scotland deemed to be the best ranked team ahead of Serbia, Romania and Albania when they've all finished 2nd in their respective groups?

Thanks for posting the link and your explanation- it's definitely helped me to get my head around how it all works.

The one part I'm still confused about is when they mention 'best ranked' or 'overall ranking'. What ranking are they referring to? The UEFA ranking?

Eg in the second example they've posted, why are Scotland deemed to be the best ranked team ahead of Serbia, Romania and Albania when they've all finished 2nd in their respective groups?

It is just using fake results to illustrate the point. It will be done on points, GD etc among the 2nd placed teams in the Nations League. Every game will matter.

The overall UEFA ranking will become much less relevant now indeed it seems disciplinary record will be used ahead of it if teams are level on everything else.

Will the ifa make the nations league games part of the block booking or leave them separate like friendlies would have been?

Will the ifa make the nations league games part of the block booking or leave them separate like friendlies would have been?

Only two games for the nations league, could be treated as one offs or have a block booking for those two and another for the other qualifiers.