OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

I like the idea of playing teams of similar ranking, however I would like to see it on a world level rather than just a Uefa one . Take the rankings directly after a world cup final then create mini leagues of 8 teams to play each other on a home and away basis.

14 games on top of WC and Euro qualifiers is about 34 games over a 4 year period plus any finals appearances which is roughly what it is now.

Based on current ranking prior to tonight our league would consist of, Uganda, UAE, Gabon, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Northern Ireland, Dominican Republic and Estonia. There are a few wee spots among that lot that could do with a wee visit from the GAWA.

If we had taken the rankings following the end of WC10, our friendlies up until WC14 would have been: Bosnia, Ecuador, Austria, Benin, Hungary, Cyprus, Iran.

I like your thinking but that's going to cost a bomb!

Guest nicormp

I know, but out of the current rankings, how many of that group other than estonia have we ever played? Dont forget it would be over a 4 year period and we are unlikely to be booking tickets for Russia or Qatar. Would make a nice change from our normal european opposition in friendlies. I would be happy with one trip each year. Cuba in 2015, dominican republic 2016, trinidad and tobago 2017.

FIFA ranking points would be restricted to any of the federations qualifying and finals tournament (conmemobol, concacaf, Uefa, etc) coupled with WC qualifying and finals. Would stop the likes of England being ranked 4th in the world as they were earlier this year despite not being top of their qualifying group at the time nor getting past the QF of a tourney since 1996.

I think the only way they could create such a league structure would be if they abolished the Euro qualifying groups. I could see them saying that the top x ranked sides automatically qualify for the European Championships, with the remaining sides being determined by playoffs with league placings used to determine who is seeded for the playoffs. That would then leave them with c. 2 years worth of international fixtures to play the league matches.

However, can't see it happening and it would be a shame if the smaller nations lost the opportunity to regularly take on the bigger sides.

I like the idea of playing games with a bit more importance than friendlies, it's ok in theory but put into practice I'm not so sure. There's an awful lot to consider if was going be given the go ahead. I think opening it up to FIFA members would be better than just UEFA but then it'll cost FAs and fans alike a fortune, I'm not sure it's something the IFA can afford never mind some of the other smaller associations. Is there not a danger that this could make the rich associations richer and the poor associations poorer? Division 1 will draw massive crowds, will the likes of Albania v Northern Ireland (or vice versa) in the middle of November really attract that many people (other than the diehards)?

Is this potentially just a scheme to replace the the traditional qualifying groups and make sure the 'big' teams always go to finals?

Is this potentially just a scheme to replace the the traditional qualifying groups and make sure the 'big' teams always go to finals?

No, it's to replace friendlies.

I know, but out of the current rankings, how many of that group other than estonia have we ever played? Dont forget it would be over a 4 year period and we are unlikely to be booking tickets for Russia or Qatar. Would make a nice change from our normal european opposition in friendlies. I would be happy with one trip each year. Cuba in 2015, dominican republic 2016, trinidad and tobago 2017.

FIFA ranking points would be restricted to any of the federations qualifying and finals tournament (conmemobol, concacaf, Uefa, etc) coupled with WC qualifying and finals. Would stop the likes of England being ranked 4th in the world as they were earlier this year despite not being top of their qualifying group at the time nor getting past the QF of a tourney since 1996.

I'm sold!

I like the idea of playing games with a bit more importance than friendlies, it's ok in theory but put into practice I'm not so sure. There's an awful lot to consider if was going be given the go ahead. I think opening it up to FIFA members would be better than just UEFA but then it'll cost FAs and fans alike a fortune, I'm not sure it's something the IFA can afford never mind some of the other smaller associations. Is there not a danger that this could make the rich associations richer and the poor associations poorer? Division 1 will draw massive crowds, will the likes of Albania v Northern Ireland (or vice versa) in the middle of November really attract that many people (other than the diehards)?

No more than go today to big countries' games. And with Collective tv bargaining I can't see how we'd lose out. And I'm sure FIFA would be happy to help the wee boys out as there are votes to be won!

Well, the 'World League' won't happen, to hard to do.

But the 'Europe League' could work in theory. It would need to be two up two down though.

Though out of the group we would be in I could see at least three teams finishing above us.

Something has to be done about friendlies, sitting through a NI friendly complete with cry-offs has become gawdawful.

I think playing teams around your theoretical skill level is a good thing - I'm sure the lowest ranked teams quite fancy the idea as it gives them the chance to win a few games and improve in relative terms.

Can't see the clubs being too happy - more 'competitive' games.

I wouldn't fancy our chances against Gibraltar, they seem to be getting a houl of anyone with a Gib Granny to play for them.

Would this league really run over a 4 year period, seems a bit long.??

Guest nicormp

I am not proposing a promotion/relegation league as such, rather it would depend where you are in the rankings immediately after a world cup final. Each division would consist of 8 teams. The 32 teams who contest the world cup finals would form the top 4 divisions. All of the quarter finalists would be Division 1, losers of the round of 16 would be division 2, whilst the 3rd place in each of the groups would be div 3 and bottom place team would make up division 4. Croatia who did not qualify for WC10 but were ranked 10th in the world would go into division 5. For the skeptic who thinks we would end up playing the same teams all the time, look at Belgium for example, directly after the WC10 final they would have been in drawn in a world league division 7 whereas right now they would be division 1. Even ourselves who are currently in division 11 would have been in division 14 last month. I do not think it would be too difficult to accomplish a "world league" every 8 teams according to rankings form a division, all the way from top to bottom. I suppose there could be a trophy produced for each division, but other than that there would be no ranking points to play for. Think of it as a set of 14 friendlies that have been pre-organised by FIFA on the IFAs behalf, with the incentive that the better OWC perform in WC or Euros, the better a set of friendlies you will get.

I am not proposing a promotion/relegation league as such, rather it would depend where you are in the rankings immediately after a world cup final. Each division would consist of 8 teams. The 32 teams who contest the world cup finals would form the top 4 divisions. All of the quarter finalists would be Division 1, losers of the round of 16 would be division 2, whilst the 3rd place in each of the groups would be div 3 and bottom place team would make up division 4. Croatia who did not qualify for WC10 but were ranked 10th in the world would go into division 5. For the skeptic who thinks we would end up playing the same teams all the time, look at Belgium for example, directly after the WC10 final they would have been in drawn in a world league division 7 whereas right now they would be division 1. Even ourselves who are currently in division 11 would have been in division 14 last month. I do not think it would be too difficult to accomplish a "world league" every 8 teams according to rankings form a division, all the way from top to bottom. I suppose there could be a trophy produced for each division, but other than that there would be no ranking points to play for. Think of it as a set of 14 friendlies that have been pre-organised by FIFA on the IFAs behalf, with the incentive that the better OWC perform in WC or Euros, the better a set of friendlies you will get.

Your idea falls down on the fact that the 32 teams at the WC finals,are not the "best" 32 teams in the World.

Guest nicormp

I think i already acknowledged that the 32 teams at a WC finals are not the best 32 in the world with the example of Croatia being ranked 10th and not qualifying for the finals. It is possible to pick holes in any plan and i definitely wont be pitching my idea to FIFA any time soon. I have no problems with anyone having an opinion on why something wont work but at least suggest a better alternative. My query would be why should Croatia be rewarded with a place in division 2 when they couldn't qualify for the WC. As the highest placed non-qualifier i would however have no problem with them replacing the tournament hosts, unless the hosts were ranked higher. If that were to happen then the non qualifier could move into div 4 whilst the hosts could drop down into div 5.

The teams with higher ranking positions than some of the 32 who make the WC will get their reward when it comes to the next qualifying tournament, in that they will be seeded higher, whilst my idea is to reward teams for WC success first before applying the rankings to determine your next couple of years of friendlies.

Indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

It's the first time I've heard them mention qualification places in conjuction with it.

Nations League: World Cup & Euro qualifying spots on offer

A "League of Nations" that will see countries qualify for the World Cup and European Championship is expected to be given the go-ahead by Uefa on Thursday.

Games would be played in odd-numbered years on dates reserved for friendlies, starting after the 2018 World Cup.

European football's governing body's executive committee has already backed the competition, which would replace major tournament qualifying play-offs.

England are expected to be in a 14-team top tier of four divisions.

An exact format has yet to be confirmed but Spain, Germany, Italy and Netherlands are also likely to be in the top division, which would feature semi-finals and a final at neutral venues.

In the lower divisions, there would be a final to decide promotion, as well as qualifying places for the World Cup and European Championship.

The league will not replace major tournament qualifiers, but would decide the qualification spots - usually four - currently won via play-offs.

While matches will be played on dates reserved for friendlies, there will still be flexibility for smaller countries to arrange high-profile fixtures with bigger European teams and for nations to play friendlies against national sides from outside Europe.

The Football Association is in favour of the plan, with chairman Greg Dyke saying earlier this month: "The hard thing is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive."

Aye right Greg. Just wait 'til you're getting your own ass handed to you most games.

I'm with you lads. I've definitely heard worse ideas than this.

I don't really care what effect it has on the big nations but from our perspective if it restricts the IFA's ability to take suicidal friendies against top class south americal opposition when all our players are on the beach then I welcome it.