OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

On 24/01/2018 at 6:08 PM, P.McCarroll said:

Oh dear. I feel your pain....had a close family wedding on the day of the Azerbaijan games and was trying to watch it on my phone under the table.

I got caught on by the groom watching the San Marino game on mine.

6 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Reminds me of a wedding I was at, where the groom started his speech as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, friends, treasured guests and of course my lovely bride Rebecca, today is the happiest day of my life." Glancing briefly at his watch, he went on "Portsmouth have just beaten Bolton to go top of the Premier League!"

P.S. Pompey's spell in the Prem lasted nearly as long as the marriage...

7 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

You'd have thought he'd have had better things to do on his wedding day than snooping around after you. Like watching the match himself.

Nations League preview show running on Sky last few days. Not bad build up.

”Only the bold, only the courageous, only the great of the nations league”......some anthem.

I've just seen that Switzerland bate Iceland 6-0. What happened there?

35 minutes ago, richboy said:

I watched quite a bit of that game. Iceland were playing for a 0 0, once it went to 1 0/2 0 Iceland hadn't a clue how to adjust. Switzerland played very well and tore them to shreds, could have been more than six too. 

Makes our result against them seem better. I feel like I should have written "Switzerland bate Iceland (six) - 0".

1 hour ago, richboy said:

Iceland Froze😩

Having had a proper match with potential for back door qualification for 2020 instead of a friendly recently, I have reconsidered and think this format is an improvement 🙂

I'm still not sure of it's overall worth. That will play out over several years I guess

I was looking at the ultimate qualifying route from the Nations League. And it won't be finally decided until the end of March 2020.

Likely this has been discussed before and I may have missed it ....

Play-offs / Semi-finals26–28 March 2020 / Finals29–31 March 2020

Each play-off path will feature two single-leg semi-finals, and one single-leg final. The best-ranked team will host the fourth-ranked team, and the second-ranked team will host the third-ranked team. The host of the final will be decided by a draw, with semi-final winner 1 or 2 hosting the final. 

So, at three days notice, there'll be play off final at any one of four locations across Europe, three of which are potential away trips for participants?

The ultimate scramble for flights.

Imagine the mental breakdown at the IFA ticketing section......

11 hours ago, The Dowie said:

I was looking at the ultimate qualifying route from the Nations League. And it won't be finally decided until the end of March 2020.

Likely this has been discussed before and I may have missed it ....

Play-offs / Semi-finals26–28 March 2020 / Finals29–31 March 2020

Each play-off path will feature two single-leg semi-finals, and one single-leg final. The best-ranked team will host the fourth-ranked team, and the second-ranked team will host the third-ranked team. The host of the final will be decided by a draw, with semi-final winner 1 or 2 hosting the final. 

So, at three days notice, there'll be play off final at any one of four locations across Europe, three of which are potential away trips for participants?

It is not quite that bad. The draw for final host is made before the semi finals, so only two potential final venues. Two teams know if they win they are at home, the other two know if they win they are away to the winner of the other semi. Still a ballix for half the participants. 

Think I would have preferred one country to host all three matches, say the highest seeds.  At least that way you would know in advance where you need to be!

Uefa Nations League: Countries to get paid more money for taking part

Each of the 55 European countries in the Nations League will receive more money, Uefa has confirmed.

The overall winning country will collect 10.5m euros (£9.18m), an increase from the original figure of 7.5m euros (£6.55m).

Each nation's "solidarity payment", is being increased by 50%, with more prize money also for the four league winners.

The increase in money was made possible by "Uefa's solid financial situation" and "earnings from Euro 2016".

It means England, who are in the top section, will earn a minimum of 2.25m euros (£1.97m), while second-tier Northern Ireland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland will collect at least 1.5m euros (£1.31m), with Scotland, in the third level, picking up no less than 1.125m euros (£982,950).

The competition is split into four leagues, based on each nation's coefficient ranking, with 12 teams in Leagues A and B, 15 in League C and 16 in league D with the first-phase matches taking place during the international breaks in September, October and November.

One winner from each league will earn a spot at Euro 2020, with the top four nations from League A battling to become the overall Nations League champion in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45815169