Jump to content
OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

Recommended Posts

Good question. Anyone know for sure? I'd assume the groups get redrawn each time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume there will be a draw at the start of 2020 to determine the fixtures for each league in same way as this year. Would be a bit strange to limit it to same section A3, B3, etc as just end up playing same teams after another cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the next draw of the nations league will be in 4 years time in 2022, in preparation for the 2024 euro championship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dana82 said:

Surely the next draw of the nations league will be in 4 years time in 2022, in preparation for the 2024 euro championship?

Every two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dana82 said:

So this to be used for world cup qualification too ?

No, FIFA operate their own qualification system for the W.Cup, separate from those used by UEFA for their own European Championships and Nations League.

However, the EC and NL are both critical to W.Cup in one respect.

Formerly, FIFA seedings for the W.Cup qualifying draw used a system whereby both competitive games and friendlies counted towards ranking points.

Whereas UEFA only ever used competitive games for their ranking/seeding systems.

But now that UEFA have replaced most friendlies with (competitive) NL games, FIFA have decided also to disregard friendlies when drawing up their rankings, which in turn will have an effect on W.Cup qualifying draw seedings.

It's another reason why this NL is not just a lot of "glorified friendlies", but instead a competition which we should be taking very seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

No, FIFA operate their own qualification system for the W.Cup, separate from those used by UEFA for their own European Championships and Nations League.

However, the EC and NL are both critical to W.Cup in one respect.

Formerly, FIFA seedings for the W.Cup qualifying draw used a system whereby both competitive games and friendlies counted towards ranking points.

Whereas UEFA only ever used competitive games for their ranking/seeding systems.

But now that UEFA have replaced most friendlies with (competitive) NL games, FIFA have decided also to disregard friendlies when drawing up their rankings, which in turn will have an effect on W.Cup qualifying draw seedings.

It's another reason why this NL is not just a lot of "glorified friendlies", but instead a competition which we should be taking very seriously. 

I have read that the Nations League could be used for World Cup qualification including a possibility that one place each could be reserved for Leagues A & B only.  However I don't know for sure and don't believe it is published anywhere.  

One upside (or downside depending on your view) of the disappointing results for both NI and the RoI is that we are very unlikely to meet in a competitive game anytime soon.  We will both be 3rd seeds (barring very unlikely results next month) for the Euros and in the same pot in Group C for the next Nations League.  I believe we would both still most likely get a playoff if either fail to qualify.  however in this case it would lamost certainly be an away semi final.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has already been covered, but am I right in saying that unless we beat Austria by five clear goals (in order to finish 2nd in Nations League B3), we are certain to be seeded in Pot 3 for the Euro 2020 qualifying draw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would only need to beat them 2-0 for better head to head record or 1-0 could be enough depending on their result against Bosnia. A draw suits both of them to a degree (Bosnia promoted, Austria safe from relegation) so hardly surprising if they played out a draw if things are even with 15 to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Huntsman88 said:

Would only need to beat them 2-0 for better head to head record or 1-0 could be enough depending on their result against Bosnia. A draw suits both of them to a degree (Bosnia promoted, Austria safe from relegation) so hardly surprising if they played out a draw if things are even with 15 to go.

Ah ok, so if we were to win and be level on 3 points, the next determining factor is goal difference in our games v that team (in our case Austria) rather than overall GD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

Ah ok, so if we were to win and be level on 3 points, the next determining factor is goal difference in our games v that team (in our case Austria) rather than overall GD?

Yes, its your head to head record vs the team you are level on points with. Tiebreaker criteria in order is:-

1) Higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question;

2) Superior goal difference in matches played among the teams in question;

3) Higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question;

4) Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played among the teams in question;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

Ah ok, so if we were to win and be level on 3 points, the next determining factor is goal difference in our games v that team (in our case Austria) rather than overall GD?

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the
league phase, the following criteria are applied in the order given, to determine
their rankings:
a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
teams in question;
b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in
question;
c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams
in question;
d. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played
among the teams in question

Overall goal difference comes in after this, so essentially if it's the same score as the first match 1-0 as everything is cancelled out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×