OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

seems like a much better option than cry-off friendlies

Nations League: New European tournament to be confirmed

A "League of Nations" that would be a third major tournament for European countries after the World Cup and European Championship is expected to be given the go-ahead by Uefa on Thursday.

Games would be played in odd-numbered years on dates reserved for friendlies, starting after the 2018 World Cup.

No exact details have been confirmed, but there would be up to four divisions with promotion and relegation, plus a 'final four' competition in the summer.

England would likely be in a top tier.

League of Nations key points
  • Played biennially in odd-numbered years
  • Winners of the lower divisions could be granted entry to the European Championships
  • The first tournament is scheduled for after the 2018 World Cup
  • There will be up to four divisions, with the top tier expected to feature England

The 54 member associations of European football's governing body will vote on the proposal at its annual congress in Kazakhstan.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino has confirmed an agreement to set up the new tournament should be reached on Thursday.

He said: "What has triggered what is being called the Nations League is the international calendar and the dates for friendly matches.

"We have been looking at optimising the structure of the calendar without bringing in any more dates.

"There are teams everyone wants to play against and other teams who struggle to get the opponents they'd ideally like. For all national associations, the fact is that national team matches are key for their development."

On rankings, England would be in the top division alongside the likes of Spain, Germany and Italy. Each division would then be divided into groups with the winners qualifying for a semi-final and final, played at neutral venues.

Winners of the lower divisions could be granted entry to the European Championship.

Northern Ireland and Wales - ranked 47 and 48 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the bottom division.

Scotland's ranking of 24 could see them meeting the likes of Sweden, Croatia and Poland in the league.

While matches will be played on dates reserved for friendlies, there will still be flexibility for smaller countries to arrange high-profile fixtures with bigger European teams and for nations to play friendlies against national sides from outside Europe.

The Football Association is in favour of the plan, with chairman Greg Dyke saying earlier this month: "The hard thing is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive."

seems like a much better option than cry-off friendlies

Friendlies in all but name.

We could find ourselves plodding round the bottom division playing the other lower ranked teams repeatedy, no real appeal to fans or players and we lose the chance of the odd big friendly and the income that would come with it.

Winners of the lower divisions could be granted entry to the European Championship.

Here's me, wha?

Hmmmmm ..... :think: ...... I think I see some flaws.

OK, for the sake of argument, we take the bottom 14 team in Europe (see link). They play against each other and the best one qualifies.

So, Lithuania could qualify from the basket case group while Denmark or the Czech Republic get left at home?

Also, aside from England, Wales and Scotland (for the time being at least) all these teams are foreign and therefore can't be trusted. What chance someone engineers their results to drop down a division and give themselves a better chance of qualification?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

This makes no real sense. There's simply not enough international dates never mind friendly dates to fit this in. If there's 4 divisions then there'll be at least 13 teams in each group. Even allowing for only playing each other once you'll still need 12 dates. Only possible if there's no qualifiers, or qualifying is cut right back, ie, groups of 3 or 4. In theory its sounds like a great idea, but logistically a nightmare.

It will be interesting to see what they say on Thursday, the devil will be in the detail.

OK, big "ifs", but if we got promoted, and if ROI got relegated, we could find ourselves in the same Group and liable to play them regularly for some years to come.

And this would be in addition to our chances of drawing them in the Euro or World Cup Qualifiers....

Depressing, isn't it?

This makes no real sense. There's simply not enough international dates never mind friendly dates to fit this in. If there's 4 divisions then there'll be at least 13 teams in each group.

Could be wrong, but isn't the plan that each Division would be sub-divided into four Groups of 3 or 4? Then the winner of each Group would play each other in a Semi-Final and Final, to determine the Divisional Winner.

Which, thinking about it as regards my prevous post, would lessen the chance of meeting the same team(s) regularly, since whilst all in the same Division, the Groups would (presumably) change for each tournament?

OK, big "ifs", but if we got promoted, and if ROI got relegated, we could find ourselves in the same Group and liable to play them regularly for some years to come.

And this would be in addition to our chances of drawing them in the Euro or World Cup Qualifiers....

Depressing, isn't it?

Could be wrong, but isn't the plan that each Division would be sub-divided into four Groups of 3 or 4? Then the winner of each Group would play each other in a Semi-Final and Final, to determine the Divisional Winner.

Which, thinking about it as regards my prevous post, would lessen the chance of meeting the same team(s) regularly, since whilst all in the same Division, the Groups would (presumably) change for each tournament?

That's the problem, the plans at the moment are vague at best. I would be worried sub groups from within each division as this looks to a step towards old pre qualifying chesnut. Before we know it we'll be having qualify for the qualifiers through this Nations League.

We could find ourselves plodding round the bottom division playing the other lower ranked teams repeatedy, no real appeal to fans or players and we lose the chance of the odd big friendly and the income that would come with it.

something we need to address is beating lower ranked teams!!

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - ranked 31, 34 and 39 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the third of four divisions using the current national team coefficient.

so i could see a full WP for that one, also with a chance of promotion surely thats an incentive to play "bigger" teams

That's the problem, the plans at the moment are vague at best. I would be worried sub groups from within each division as this looks to a step towards old pre qualifying chesnut. Before we know it we'll be having qualify for the qualifiers through this Nations League.

I think you could be right about the pre-qualifying thing. UEFA will have had to come up with a format which satisfies the bigger nations wish to avoid playing the minnows and at the same time make it attractive enough for the smaller countries to support a proposal too.

It will be interesting to see how it develops.

something we need to address is beating lower ranked teams!!

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - ranked 31, 34 and 39 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the third of four divisions using the current national team coefficient.

so i could see a full WP for that one, also with a chance of promotion surely thats an incentive to play "bigger" teams

Anything has got to be better than what is currently happening.

What it could mean is the potential financial incentives of progressing up through the leagues and getting those glamour matches and bigger revenue as well as the incentives for the players in playing against the best teams.

Would still require us to actually start winning games, so maybe getting a bit carried away!

Before we know it we'll be having qualify for the qualifiers through this Nations League.

I think you could be right about the pre-qualifying thing.

I hadn't thought of that, but you may well be right. That said, you'd imagine it would be difficult for UEFA to introduce as most nations either are a bit crap or will be at some point. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that.

Northern Ireland and Wales - ranked 47 and 48 respectively by Uefa - could find themselves playing each other in the bottom division.

Scotland's ranking of 24

where did you get that chopper?

it says here on the BBC that

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - ranked 31, 34 and 39 respectively by Uefa

Here's me, wha?

Hmmmmm ..... :think: ...... I think I see some flaws.

OK, for the sake of argument, we take the bottom 14 team in Europe (see link). They play against each other and the best one qualifies.

So, Lithuania could qualify from the basket case group while Denmark or the Czech Republic get left at home?

Also, aside from England, Wales and Scotland (for the time being at least) all these teams are foreign and therefore can't be trusted. What chance someone engineers their results to drop down a division and give themselves a better chance of qualification?

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

Your link is not the Ranking for National Teams in UEFA.....it is the Ranking of each Country for the purposes of the CL & Europa League qualification/seeding and based on the performances of club sides in Europe....not International Matches.

I am actually in favour of this proposal...but like a few others, my immediate thought was...this is the 1st step towards pre-qualifying for qualifiers :rcard::rcard::rcard:

Last 'big' friendly? France '98? Albania?