OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

Whoever qualifies from division 4 will have done through a succession of sh*t results, follows by a couple of draws/victories against minnows. That team will be the laughing stock with everybody, quite rightly, saying they've no right to be there. Where's the joy in that? Where is the big stand up and scream your nads off moment of sheer ecstasy? Where is the glory?

I'll be happy enough with that if we qualified. No one likes us... we don't care and all that.

I'll be happy enough with that if we qualified. No one likes us... we don't care and all that.

It's not the dream though is it?

Mind you, hypocritical it may be, but it wouldn't stop me trying to find out (1) the price of a pint (2) if they have a square (3) if anybody is running a bus (4) the capacity of the stadium (5) where the hotels are (6) if there any laws preventing us hoofing balls into the air and shouting yeeeeeeeeeeoh ..... etc etc.

Well, here's the full explanation .......... probably.

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Here's the mad bit.

• The four remaining UEFA EURO 2020 places will be allocated to the winners of play-off matches which will take place in March 2020:

- 16 teams will take part in the play-offs and are grouped four by four. Each group plays for one qualification spot.

- Each of the four Nations League divisions receives four play-off qualification positions to be allocated to each of the four group winners within that division.

- If any winners are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, then their play-off position will be allocated to the next best ranked team of the division in question, taking into account the global ranking within the division, then if necessary to the following division in decreasing order taking into consideration the global ranking of the relevant division.

And here is the stark raving, gibbering, maniacal, madder than Brian Mad of Madcastle, lunatic, insane ..... errr ..... controversial bit.

- The four teams in each division will play two one-off semi-finals and one one-off 'final' to determine each of the four play-off winners.

Signed, sealed and delivered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30339128

Nations League: New Uefa competition set for 2018 & 2019

Uefa has formally approved the new Nations League to replace most international friendlies.

The competition, featuring promotion and relegation, will first be played between September and November 2018.

The 52 countries will be split into four divisions, each featuring four groups of three or four teams.

Each team will play six games with the four group winners in the top division playing the semi-finals and final in June 2019 to determine the winner.

The best team in each of the four divisions who have not already qualified for Euro 2020 will play off in March 2020 for the final four places in the tournament, which is being played in 13 countries across Europe with the semi-finals and final at Wembley Stadium.

The Euro 2020 qualifiers will be played between March and November 2019 - after the initial Nations League competition.

In each division, four group winners are promoted (or play in the final four) and four teams are relegated for the next competition, which will be played in 2020.

There will be a winning team every odd year, while, for the 2022 World Cup, the same principles will apply but will be adapted to the number of qualification slots available and final tournament dates.

If these games are replacing (most) friendlies, does that mean that the National Associations will be able to insist on players turning up, for a medical examination, if need be?

I assume so.

Signed, sealed and delivered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30339128

"The 52 countries will be split into four divisions, each featuring four groups of three or four teams.

Each team will play six games with the four group winners in the top division playing the semi-finals and final in June 2019 to determine the winner."

A group of three teams with each team playing six games. I make that three games against each of the other two sides in the group.

The best team in each of the four divisions who have not already qualified for Euro 2020 will play off in March 2020 for the final four places in the tournament, which is being played in 13 countries across Europe with the semi-finals and final at Wembley Stadium.

Haul on. How can 4 teams play off for 4 places?

Right, so 4 from each division play off eachother for a spot each. Being in the 4th tier could be a blessing in disguise then qualification wise.

One other interesting aspect.

I assume these League games will count as "competitive" i.e. will tie in dual-national players.

Will this have any impact on our position re defectors?

Can't make up my mind whether it will.

http://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/the-uefa-nations-league-explained/

Finally, in Group 4 we will see all four league winners progress to the play-offs. That would mean that Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland and Georgia would get to play-off for a spot at the European Championships.

Show me the the glory in qualifying that way.

The tournament itself is a good idea. Linking it to qualification is bonkers.

How are they going to fit in 6 matches between September and November.

And if promotion and relegation is used how does that work alongside coefficient/rankings, what if a team does not get promotion but separately has shot up the rankings.

Crazy idea the whole thing.