OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
The Dowie

UEFA considering international leagues

The reason for linking it to qualifiers is to try and increase the share of TV revenue throughout the UEFA associations.

At present, the top nations mainly play one another in friendlies and command the highest appearance fees and TV rights.

By breaking that monopoly up to a degree, although not completely, UEFA and its member associations hope that they will get better TV revenue than from the current friendly international format.

If it offers Northern Ireland a better chance of qualifying for the final stages of a tournament, I couldn't care less if we get there by beating the Isle of Man.

Of course we'd like to do it at the first time of asking, but after sitting through twelve failed qualifying campaigns in a row, I'll take any route available.

Very few fans are enthusiathic about friendlies now, most people attend them out of habit and quite a few, in fact most, have been absolutely dire. Adding an incentive and generating a bit more enthusiasm for them in the process has to be a good thing surely?

If it offers Northern Ireland a better chance of qualifying for the final stages of a tournament, I couldn't care less if we get there by beating the Isle of Man.

Of course we'd like to do it at the first time of asking, but after sitting through twelve failed qualifying campaigns in a row, I'll take any route available.

I've been through every one of those twelve campaigns, but I can't agree with taking any route available. Limping past a couple of minnows, after an crap campaign, would be the ultimate anticlimax. Can you imagine the buzz after beating Luxembourg on penalties to grab that place in the finals? No, me either.

Like I said, I couldn't care less who we beat to qualify for a tournament finals.

You have your view, you're not keen - that's fair enough. I'd think Northern Ireland in the finals would create a 'buzz' however it happened.

I haven't seen 12 campaigns yet but agree completely with WL. Opening game of the finals you think the atmosphere would be anything less than ecstatic no matter what route we got in?

A play off is a play off. It is another layer of complexity but as an alternative to the dross friendlies we've had to endure it's a no brainer.

You have your view, you're not keen - that's fair enough. I'd think Northern Ireland in the finals would create a 'buzz' however it happened.

You're probably right. Once the finals started there would be a buzz and, hypocritical or not, I'd be there.

Opening game of the finals you think the atmosphere would be anything less than ecstatic no matter what route we got in?

We'd have a great time, no doubt about it. I just think that any team has to earn the right to be there. They have to deserve it. Whatever team comes through Division 4, in this new format, won't have deserved it. They might as well have got their finals spot out a lucky bag.

A play off is a play off. It is another layer of complexity but as an alternative to the dross friendlies we've had to endure it's a no brainer.

It's undoubtedly a better option than more friendlies. I just wouldn't link qualification to it, at least not from Division 4.

For us, this certainly has benefits. As a matter of principle, though, qualifying teams for the World Cup who haven't been good enough to qualify properly is a dog's arse of an idea.

Agree - the qualification thing is a bit mad. That said, I like the general idea of smaller leagues, promotion & relegation.

The division winners should go into a playoff with 1vs4, 2vs3 and the winner getting a place... Singular.

Anything else would just take the shine off it.

May as well just take it in turns to win the group.

Glad:

• eight competitive home games (rather than five) in every two year cycle
  • distinct competition every year
  • test against teams of similar standard with chance to rise to higher standard

Bad:

• possible precursor to either a) all competitions in hierarchical divisions or B) pre qualifying for World Cup/ Euros
  • players/ their clubs may not take the new competition seriously

Mad:

• qualifying for WC/ EC finals by winning effectively a Division 4 play-off

Can you imagine the buzz after beating Luxembourg on penalties to grab that place in the finals? No, me either.

Dunno like, I normally agree with you, but I'd be excited about qualification under pretty much any circumstances....if we qualified by virtue of the fact that "N" comes before another letter of the alphabet I'd be swinging from the rooftops singing "We're not Brazil" every single night for a month.

Earlier this month, UEFA issued a handy "All You Need To Know" cribsheet to the new Euro Nations League (each country to play four or six games in Autumn 2018):

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Clear. As. Mud. :wacko:

The best guide I've found is below, but even now my head still hurts:

https://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/the-uefa-nations-league-explained/

And I don't recommend you read it whilst the 2018 World Cup Draw is being made later this afternoon, in case it leads to this:

tumblr_mhpeu3xVP71qa3v7yo1_400.gif

What group are we likely to be in?

It will all depend on how we do at the EUROs and in the qualifiers for Russia. The 2014 WC and qualifiers, EURO16 and qualifiers and 2018 WC qualifiers count in varying proportions to the ranking.

I would say it is almost certainly going to be Division 2 or 3. As it sits now we are 24th and so the bottom seed in Div 2. But France did not play EURO qualifiers and because the 2018 ones count double for them they will almost certainly overtake us so we are in reality sitting as the top seed in Div 3.

I hope that makes sense, the whole thing and everything to do with it seems to be as complicated as they can make it. :scratch_one-s_head: