OUR WEE COUNTRY

Just been on 'tripadvisor' to what Basel has in store for us and I see that one of the oldest fairs in Europe (547th year in November) is being held while we are there and 'lo and behold' it finishes on the 12th - looks like there should be a great atmosphere around the city with plenty of grub, beer, a variety of rides (no sniggering) for those who want to lose both their grub and beer and dear knows what else taking place.

The Basler Herbstmesse for those who like to check these things out in advance.

Probably explains the reason that there weren't too many options when it came to reasonably priced hotels although there did seem to be plenty of hostel beds still available for Jackie's crew :biggrin:

Looking forward to it - been a long wait to qualify for a World Cup and I'm convinced it will happen.

Just been on 'tripadvisor' to what Basel has in store for us and I see that one of the oldest fairs in Europe (547th year in November) is being held while we are there and 'lo and behold' it finishes on the 12th - looks like there should be a great atmosphere around the city with plenty of grub, beer, a variety of rides (no sniggering) for those who want to lose both their grub and beer and dear knows what else taking place.

The Basler Herbstmesse for those who like to check these things out in advance.

Probably explains the reason that there weren't too many options when it came to reasonably priced hotels although there did seem to be plenty of hostel beds still available for Jackie's crew :biggrin:

Looking forward to it - been a long wait to qualify for a World Cup and I'm convinced it will happen.

Have the same feeling Stephen .

Have the same feeling Stephen .

Me also. Most of us have waited a lifetime for this, and this is the closest we have got, it may be the closest we will ever get. Teams like Switzerland qualify often - their time will come again, and again. But this is our time, this is a rare chance for us to do it so we have to take it.

And I don't care how we win, or good we are in the two matches, we just want to win and have a party in Basel and Russia.

#baselbrushed #swissrolled

What stephen, silver and Jonny said. Any win over two legs will do, achieved any conceivable way. I think we'll do it, and Basel on the night of the 12th November will be a madhouse.

:owc:

What stephen, silver and Jonny said. Any win over two legs will do, achieved any conceivable way. I think we'll do it, and Basel on the night of the 12th November will be a madhouse.

We have a flight back to Gatwick from Basel at 06.55 on the Monday, practically a lie-in after getting the 06.05 back from Oslo :biggrin:

We have a flight back to Gatwick from Basel at 06.55 on the Monday, practically a lie-in after getting the 06.05 back from Oslo :biggrin:

:crying::clapping:

Add me to that.

A quick search tells me the average pint is 6 quid their money and Mcdonalds a tenner. Plenty of orish bars too. Sorted.

A quick search tells me the average pint is 6 quid their money and Mcdonalds a tenner. Plenty of orish bars too. Sorted.

Going by the good folk of 'Tripadvisor' it seems as if the places to get a half decent meal at reasonable prices are the supermarkets and they list the 'Coop' and 'Migros' as two examples - good selections of hot meals with seating provided.

Six quid a pint relates to about four and a half then with a wee bit of research and as I mentioned earlier there is a big fair on in the town so there should be plenty on offer - let's just hope they follow the example of the German Xmas markets and have lumumbas on sale (heaven on a chilly day). And with those markets you should be able to avoid McDs which is always a positive step.

As for the Oirish pubs...................

I'm planning a Three Nation Pub Crawl, starting in our Basel hostel, up to a shisha lounge in Germany, over to Le Shakespeare in France and back to the tiki bar in Basel.

The only question is: will I need Euro as well as Swiss Francs? :drinks:

I'm planning a Three Nation Pub Crawl, starting in our Basel hostel, up to a shisha lounge in Germany, over to Le Shakespeare in France and back to the tiki bar in Basel.

The only question is: will I need Euro as well as Swiss Francs? :drinks:

Has Mr Hart been binned as the chief pub crawl organiser then Chris :crying:

And you've spelt 'titi' wrong by the way :blum3:

Talking to guy in work there who is a Liverpool fan and been a couple of times recently, drink he says is not too much more than here, some places would be more London type prices. But plenty of offsales and two nice squares.

For the Europa league final everything was locked closed in the squares but still offsales available. But I imagine the Swiss will be out for a party as much as us for this one!

I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and it's pricey whichever way you look at it. But, the flag's a big plus.

:sarcastic::sarcastic:

Talking to guy in work there who is a Liverpool fan and been a couple of times recently, drink he says is not too much more than here, some places would be more London type prices. But plenty of offsales and two nice squares.

For the Europa league final everything was locked closed in the squares but still offsales available. But I imagine the Swiss will be out for a party as much as us for this one!

Liverpool were there and everything was locked closed in the squares - bit of a connection there I believe :crying:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this