Jun 1 - Friendlies

Switzerland 1 - 0 Belarus

Jun 9 - World Cup Qualifiers First round

Faroe Islands 0 - 2 Switzerland

Aug 31 - World Cup Qualifiers First round

Switzerland 3 - 0 Andorra

Sep 3 - World Cup Qualifiers First round

Latvia 0 - 3 Switzerland

It's a cliche but they DID have an easier group than most second placed teams. Latvia, Faroe Islands and Andorra, and some of those results they scraped through, particularly Andorra away (bottom team!). They beat Belarus 1-0 in a friendly (so did we - 3-0). Their most impressive win was 13 months ago v. Portugal who were without Ronaldo and still celebrating winning the Euros.

Not scared of them in the slightest. Toothless, and there for the taking. Boys fired up for a big scoring home win and go there to keep a clean shate and have a party.

#baslebrushed

Interesting, Not a scary record at all. So they must have beat Portugal earlier in the qualifying didn't they,

Interesting, Not a scary record at all. So they must have beat Portugal earlier in the qualifying didn't they,

Yes, when Ronaldo wasn't playing.

Bad lot - when can we start booking those Moscow to Ekaterinburg flights :clapping:

Just looked back at their Euro 2016 campaign. Beaten 2-0 home and away by England and beaten 1-0 in Slovenia. Won the rest of their games but were quite lucky. Were 2-0 down to Slovenia at home but scored 3 in the last 10 minutes. And were 1-0 down away to Lithuania but came back to win with an 84th minute winner. Need to defend for 90 mins against them ...

Then in the Euro finals, they beat Albania 1-0, and drew 1-1 with Romania and 0-0 with hosts France. Then went out in last 16, on penalties, after a 1-1 draw with Poland.

Pretty decent outfit but probably not much better than sides like the Czech Republic and Romania?

Having said that, Shaqiri is a seriously talented player and their 2 fullbacks are good

Their results away to Andorra any Hungary can encourage us as we have a better defence than them two it shows we can nick a goal or even two at Windsor against them.

Honestly though I think the clean sheet st home is so important even if it means a 0-0 I'd be more than happy knowing if we score one out there they'd need two.

Any of there lot suspended for the first leg ? That arsenal midfielder Xhaxa ( not sure of the spelling ) sent of against Portugal so I assume he will be banned ?

thats interesting not according to the match report

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41547438

they did have a couple of yellow cards maybe they will be missing?

We're not big on away goals though, so we need to be a bit more adventurous at home.

I suspect Michael will do like he did at home to the Czechs - deploy five at the back to avoid conceding, whilst hoping to nick one from a set-piece or breakaway (ideally both!).

For if we go out to Basel with even a 0-0 behind us, the Swiss will know they have to score, which should leave gaps for us to exploit.

In which case, if we score one, will the Swiss* get two?

That's what I'd do, certainly.

* - Some of them may speak a form of German, but their football bears rather less of a resemblance.

For anyone watching the Man Utd game tonight, Haris Seferovic plays up front for Benfica, and was Switzerland's main man during qualifying.

For anyone watching the Man Utd game tonight, Haris Seferovic plays up front for Benfica, and was Switzerland's main man during qualifying.

hope he scores tonight and then gets carried off injured :sarcastic:

I suspect Michael will do like he did at home to the Czechs - deploy five at the back to avoid conceding, whilst hoping to nick one from a set-piece or breakaway (ideally both!).

For if we go out to Basel with even a 0-0 behind us, the Swiss will know they have to score, which should leave gaps for us to exploit.

In which case, if we score one, will the Swiss* get two?

That's what I'd do, certainly.

* - Some of them may speak a form of German, but their football bears rather less of a resemblance.

We played 4 at the back v Czech. I'd rather that shape than the 5 at the back we started with v Germany

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this