OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Starting XI v Switzerland (home).

Main decisions are:

C Evans or Saville

3 From Lafferty, Magennis, Dallas, Washington with Ward off the bench.

I thought Washington did well against the Germans so fancy him to start with Dallas and either Laffs of Magennis

Could always do a front 3 of:

Magennis Lafferty Washington

You consider game time to be important - fair point.

But you'd have McNair in ahead of Corry, despite the latter having had much more game time this season, inc. with NI?

I'd leave it to Michael, actually ;) , but if it were down to me, I'd be inclined to stick with the players who've brought us this far (at least for the first game), unless someone outside the regulars makes a compelling case to be parachuted in.

You might consider Saville has done so (unsure myself), but I can't believe McNair has done enough just yet.

But what the hell do I know? :sarcastic:

McNair will play some part over the two legs, I have absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever, I will be surprised if he doesn't start one of the games. Ward will probably feature in both games, possibly off the bench.

Im not sure about Saville yet, i would start with Corry and use Saville as a replacement.The rest of the team picks itself with Laffs and Ward to come off the bench.

A few of the local pundits in the papers worried about McGovern, have to say i agree, he did look nervous against Norway and not playing for your club is a big worry. The alternative is Roy who has the experience but this imo could be THE problem position in the squad.

McGovern has experience too, and more recent than Roy ...

McGovern has to start both legs. After that then tough decisions may have to be made.

So Ward hasn't had enough game time, but Paddy has? :scratch_one-s_head:

Paddy has had more minutes now yes.

I`d have both on bench mind you.

Saville impressed me greatly against Norway, gave a great deal of impetus in an otherwise stale performance by the team (although confirmation pre kick off that we had reached the playoffs had a great deal to do with the overall performance)

However, I feel that MoN is likely to go with a midfield blocker in the first game meaning that C Evans is favourite and more likely to start in that position. It could be McNair but that’s depending on how he looks in the limited time MoN has to see the players pre Thursday

I feel MoN will be of the opinion that it’s most important not to concede on Thursday more than anything and that will see Ward as an impact sub rather than a starter, if we go to Basel needing to score then he’ll be more likely to start on Sunday

Big question is - if it's still 0-0 at home with 20 minutes to play, will MON edge towards pushing for a goal to take a lead into the second leg or prioritise preserving a clean sheet.

Big question is - if it's still 0-0 at home with 20 minutes to play, will MON edge towards pushing for a goal to take a lead into the second leg or prioritise preserving a clean sheet.

For me it would be the latter.

For it would mean going to Basel with up to 120 minutes to get an away goal.

And if we can nick one out there, then Switzerland would have to go some to score twice against a team of ours which is defending for its life.

McNair is no where near the squad imo.Even when fit,he wasn't very good.

I need to rephrase that.Even when he was fit,he wasn't good!!!!

He played well in games where he played in midfield. Did he not get MoM against someone pre Euros? Definitely deserves to be in the squad but agree he shouldn't start.

McNair is someone who nicks a goal now and then. He's one of our better finishers so I can definitely see him being used in both matches despite only making his comeback. Not only that hes a player whos hungry and desperate to makeup for lost time. Potential match winner.

McNair is someone who nicks a goal now and then. He's one of our better finishers so I can definitely see him being used in both matches despite only making his comeback. Not only that hes a player whos hungry and desperate to makeup for lost time. Potential match winner.

Over 70 minutes in the Championship today. More time on the field than Corry Evans has accumulated over the last month in League 1?

Saville impressed me greatly against Norway, gave a great deal of impetus in an otherwise stale performance by the team (although confirmation pre kick off that we had reached the playoffs had a great deal to do with the overall performance)

However, I feel that MoN is likely to go with a midfield blocker in the first game meaning that C Evans is favourite and more likely to start in that position. It could be McNair but that’s depending on how he looks in the limited time MoN has to see the players pre Thursday

I feel MoN will be of the opinion that it’s most important not to concede on Thursday more than anything and that will see Ward as an impact sub rather than a starter, if we go to Basel needing to score then he’ll be more likely to start on Sunday

Am sort of with you on this one Pete , feel Michael will go with a holder and corry fits the bill, don't think he will go with McNair or Ward ,down to lack of game time and fitness ,but with the number of yellow cards we have, they could well be needed in the second leg. And those yellow cards were a factor to the stale performance in Norway, but there can be no holding back now.

Michael seems to be a fan of Magennis so I'm sure he'll get the nod over the seven foot fluter. The back four picks itself and I'm sure Brunty will be up for it after missing the euro's.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this