OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Good_Seasons_NI

State Your Tactics v the Swiss - No Captain Hindsights

Ok, we're all pretty clever after the matches with the benefit of hindsight. Lets put our neck on the line this time and say how we think we should go out and play tonight before its actually over.

Personally speaking I have no idea about tactics, but I reckon we need to treat each game like its a 3 pointer and forget about it being over 2 legs. Go out tonight with the aim of winning and forgetting everything else. Play with freedom and enjoy the night.

Same with the 2nd leg. Let the aggregate/away goals caper take care of itself.

State your tactics folks.

Don't concede. Take a goal for as a bonus.

I can see a 0-0 tbh.

Nick one on Sunday when they start feeling the pressue to have to score.

Aggregate result 1-0 NI. Big Josh!

It's safe to say they'll have more of the ball than us, but let them have it where they can't hurt us & hit them on the counter when we can - basically the Czech Republic game mark II.

Managing is easy from the North Stand though

Same as the Czech game for me. Close the space, play on the counter and make the most of your chances/set pieces. If it's not broke don't fix it! Playing with freedom will result in a good hiding!

Same as the Czech game for me. Close the space, play on the counter and make the most of your chances/set pieces. If it's not broke don't fix it! Playing with freedom will result in a good hiding!

I agree. The Czechs never got s sot on goal. More of the same please!

I can`t us having a go at them early on, I think it will be as others have said more like the Czech game. We will allow them to have plenty of the ball but hope to cash in on one or two things and maybe that will have a good impact and lead to a spell of constant pressure especially if its gets the crowd going.

Everyone is expecting it right & cagey. Go for th jugular in the first ten. Then see what happens. Back to normal after that.

High intensity, in their faces for first 10-15 minutes.

They have the better technical players so expect them to have more of the ball. When we do get the ball, counter at pace, draw fouls and whoever is hitting the blood set pieces/corners etc... make sure they beat the first man.

And for the love of Iain Dowie can we make sure when Shaquiri runs at us can we force him on to that right peg and not the left.

4-5-1 formation. Focus will be upon keeping our shape, make it difficult for them to play through us. Closing down all over the pitch, starting from Washington up front.

We'll play mainly on counter attack, looking to play the ball into the wide areas and force corners, free kicks and throw ins. I expect Magennis' throw ins to be used as a weapons and he'll also be an outlet to relieve pressure on the defence. Also wouldn't surprise me if O'Neill has worked out a slightly different set piece routine to try at some point.

Good use of subs in the 2nd half to keep the intensity levels up - Saville, Ward and Lafferty to get some game time against (hopefully) tiring Swiss legs.

I don't think O'Neill will go with an 'up and at 'em' approach. Patient clever football, with a big focus on discipline and organisation, will be the order of the day. 0-0 an ok result but look for opportunities to turn it into a 1-0 or 2-0

Agree that Shaqiri is the big threat but I recall their left back Rodriguez also being very good, so think Davis will have to help out Mclaughlin and Magennis on that side of the field. Think we also shouldn't allow Xhaka any time on the ball.

i've said this before every game but we will always get a few set pieces that we are more than capable of scoring from

We have brunty and norwood who can deliver these.

i would love us to start quick and get an early goal, think it will be cagey in first half, then a few impact subs and go for it 2nd half

we have to make the most of set pieces and not concede at home

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this