OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Match Thread

11 minutes ago, Clint said:

Aye, the Nation's League starts in September.

In all honesty, I didn't.

In the first leg Lafferty just kept flicking the ball on to their 'keeper. McAuley didn't do that in the second leg. In fact he did rightly up front.

As for the performance. I thought it was immense.

Sticking McAuley up front might prolong his international career, could play til he's 45, just keep lumping balls into box lol

44 minutes ago, Norniron1989 said:

Sticking McAuley up front might prolong his international career, could play til he's 45, just keep lumping balls into box lol

I thought that switch killed our momentum a wee bit?  Maybe that was just me

(I know you are joking)

35 minutes ago, Villa Mike said:

(I know you are joking)

Bit of a kick in the balls for Lafferty too. Assuming he wasn't injured 

On 14/11/2017 at 4:49 PM, Villa Mike said:

I thought that too. We were getting balls into the box from decent areas and posing a bit of a threat then we lost that. McAuley was competing for headers 25/30 yards out from straight lumps forward rather than from crosses in the penalty area.

I thought he should have thrown Lafferty on instead of McNair but who am I. Michael obviously knows better than us all. 

From today's Sunday Times:

IFA drop legal action against Fifa over referee

Steven Beacom

The Irish Football Association have decided not to pursue a compensation claim with Fifa over the refereeing error against Switzerland in last month's World Cup playoff. The controversial call from Hungarian official Ovidiu Hategun to award the Swiss a penalty in the first leg at Windsor Park proved to be the decisive moment in the tie. Northern Ireland lost 1-0 on aggregate thanks to Ricardo Rodriguez converting from the spot after Corry Evans was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area when it was clear that Xherdan Shaqiri's shot hit his shoulder and back.

The decision cost the IFA an estimated £10m through prize money, advertising, sponsorship and gate receipts and television revenue for glamour pre-tournament friendlies. That sum could have risen to around £12m had Northern Ireland made it through to the knockout sta-ges as they did at Euro 2016. It was reported last month that the IFA were ready to move forward with a compensation claim bringing back memories of the summer of 2015 when it was disclosed that Fifa handed the Football Association of Ireland a €5m 'loan' to halt legal action. The FAI were furious after France had defeated the Republic in a playoff for the 2010 World Cup finals courtesy of a handball from Thierry Henry, which led to the decisive French goal from William Gallas in the second leg in Paris. The 'loan' was subsequently written off.

It is understood IFA officials considered a compensation case but then thought better of it, feeling that while the team were extremely unfortunate to concede a crucial goal at home, they still had the second leg to turn it around. O'Neill's men excelled in Basel but went out 1-0 on aggregate.

While the compensation claim is off the table, the IFA have written to Fifa to express their disappointment at the refereeing standards during the match at Windsor Park against Switzerland. Hategun has since discovered he has been left off the list of referees for the finals in Russia.

23 hours ago, GPJim said:

Embarrassing it was even considered.

I’m not convinced it ever really was ... probably mentioned in passing / or similar my just paper talk

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this