OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
dmcc_gfc

Best & Wurst

Best

• The game, playing as we are capable of and showing skill and fight in equal measure
  • Swiss fans - lovely bunch and didn't seem to mind us in amongst them (or sitting in the wrong seats due to... navigational issues).  Decent songs too.
  • Basel - not much to look at but great atmosphere, agreeable cops and walkable ground
  • Bumping into old friends, not done too many aways but this seems to be standard!

Worst

• So near yet so far...
  • Pissed-up Swiss fan near us who kept chucking flagpoles into his own support, from the upper deck.  WTF.
  • Shaquiri and Lichsteiner - w***ers

Best

• The performance on the pitch 
  • The Swiss people in general. Really friendly and much more into their football than i thought
  • Pre match drinking and banter, one of the best
  • Asking Lisa Evans for a selfie !!

Worst

• Thinking what if......
  • The cost of everything in general
  • Wasting two hours in the Novotel waiting for our ticket
  • The journey home and the weather on match day
  • Lisa Evans saying no to my selfie !!

Best:

The team effort - makes ya proud

Emergence of Saville and (possibly) Jones - I'll be v.happy to be proved wrong on the latter

Friendly Swiss fans

Meeting up with old friends again, inc many from here, and from London NISC

Handy flights in/out Basel airport, and in/out of town from there

Free "Mobility Pass" with Hotel booking - nice touch

Only doing an overnighter (see "Wurst")

Wurst:

Realising we've probably seen the last of Big G, Aaron, Brunt and a couple more(?) in a green shirt - genuinely saddening

Basel on a wet and cold Sunday in November - makes Tyrone look like Las Vegas

Weather

Prices

Basilisk Hotel Receptionist - I think he must have been misheard when he said he wanted to work in the "Hospitality" industry (hostility?)

And not qualifying, obviously  (though it still hasn't fully sunk in for me yet)

Best

• Performance - every player gave their all and the new additions look promising

• The March - that walk to the ground in the bucketing rain was already fun enough, but going through that first long tunnel as we approached the ground was one of my favourite non-match moments supporting NI.

• Familiar Faces - N.Irish and Swiss

• Generation YMCA Hostel - lovely place in a great location

• Smoothest travel ever. Everything went like clockwork from making a 7am flight from the international the morning after the home match to the journey back through Frankfurt and Mexico. All worked well. (No trips to airports to try and take a ferry).

• Our air hostess on the Bristol - Basel flight 

Wurst

• That feeling that the bubble may have burst

• The lingering what ifs

• The cost of everything in Switzerland

• Having about  £40 worth of Swiss money I can't get changed back because their fivers are a coin.

• Knowing that's it for qualifiers for a long time

• Some drunk dikchead having a go at one of our group for having a bit of yellow on his green and white hat.

• The drunk NI fan who spent the entire Belfast - Bristol and Bristol - Basel flights on Friday loudly shouting nonsense and swigging from his duty free. Embarassment.

1 hour ago, EalingGreen said:

And not qualifying, obviously  (though it still hasn't fully sunk in for me yet)

I don't think it will really hit until the build up starts, sadly.

Best:

• Atmosphere generally - pretty good
  • View from the upper deck corner was actually decent - somehow!?
  • Efficiency - quality Germanic efficiency on the transport; 
  • Meeting up with the usual hallions; always a pleasure (I think).
  • The Performance - and the pride that went with it. It was hard to be too despondent about not qualifying after the whistle I found. It may well hit me in June of course. 
  • Basel was quaint enough. 
  • Fire & Ice Mini Golf in Germany and the Restaurant in France - great service and something a bit different. 
  • Finding a wee Italian restaurant open after the match around the corner from our nice hotel. Decent quality for a reasonable price too. 
  • Missing most of the worst of the rain. Decision to not bring the rain coat worked out! 

Worst: 

• The tram journey out - not only the aggro from the drunk swiss lad out the outside of the tram, but the attitude of people on it... 
  • Walking into the stadium to hear Jonny Evans replaced by Lisa Evans... I didn't find that funny at all. Her anger was understandable, her rant was pathetic and she's no one to be praised.
  • The Swiss... I found them to be graceless, humourless and lacking humility throughout. I can't see me ever going back unless we draw them again. 
  • Prices - it was a bit OTT. 

2 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

Best:

The team effort - makes ya proud

Emergence of Saville and (possibly) Jones - I'll be v.happy to be proved wrong on the latter

Friendly Swiss fans

Meeting up with old friends again, inc many from here, and from London NISC

Handy flights in/out Basel airport, and in/out of town from there

Free "Mobility Pass" with Hotel booking - nice touch

Only doing an overnighter (see "Wurst")

Wurst:

Realising we've probably seen the last of Big G, Aaron, Brunt and a couple more(?) in a green shirt - genuinely saddening

Basel on a wet and cold Sunday in November - makes Tyrone look like Las Vegas

Weather

Prices

Basilisk Hotel Receptionist - I think he must have been misheard when he said he wanted to work in the "Hospitality" industry (hostility?)

I agree on the Basilisk Receptionist (the younger fella with the glasses?) He was a bit of a prick

Best 

Team performance, never felt prouder. 

The younger players getting a run out and the effort they put in.

GAWA, well behaved and loud as usual (apart from a small number of spanners)

The Swiss, friendly and happy to join in and their cops, really friendly bunch.

The ICE train from and to Frankfurt

Pickwick bar

Apaliving hotel and the mobility pass

Seeing the usual faces and meeting new ones.

Only heard 1 effort at TGB, which was quickly drowned out.

Wurst.
Overall outcome 

The f**kers on the upper deck throwing ale over us in the lower deck.

The 3 muppets with the UVF flag.

Prices 

Stampede for the trams coming from the game.

Getting lost on Friday night and taking ages to find my hotel.

Basel itself, not the most scenic place we have played in.

1 hour ago, Scott_GFC said:

I agree on the Basilisk Receptionist (the younger fella with the glasses?) He was a bit of a prick

That's the one. And there was another GAWA who was checking in at the same time as me who thought the same. Though the other (female) Receptionist was fine at checking-out, I think I'll let them know with a carefully-worded review (don't normally bother)

That's the one. And there was another GAWA who was checking in at the same time as me who thought the same. Though the other (female) Receptionist was fine at checking-out, I think I'll let them know with a carefully-worded review (don't normally bother)

Ok, I'm intrigued, what did this receptionist do? Still struggling to navigate this new lay out on my mobile..... You have maybe already said, but I can't see it. 

5 minutes ago, davy ards said:

Ok, I'm intrigued, what did this receptionist do? Still struggling to navigate this new lay out on my mobile..... You have maybe already said, but I can't see it. 

Arrived at 1pm (another GAWA too, as it happens). Receptionist brusquely, even rudely, told us our rooms weren't ready - like it was our fault. Made a big thing about storing our bags whilst we buggered off for an hour. I got back at 10 past 2. "Er, your room's not ready yet, but you can go up - if you like".

Went up to Room 555, not only was it not ready, but it was still occupied. Went back down and explained - this was definitely my fault :o - so he himmed and hawed and gave me Room 447. Went up again, went inside and this time it was vacant, but not ready from the last occupant. Managed to find a chambermaid, who was busy cleaning 446. She graciously agreed to leave off and clean 447 for me. Turns out she had been told to drop whatever she was doing and clean 446 for someone who was due shortly i.e. me. So the git in Reception had got it wrong again and was buggering her about, too.

And thinking about it, there was no "Welcome to Basel" from him, or offer to provide any information, or charm of any kind - it was very noticeable, esp when compared with the woman at Check-Out, who was perfectly fine.

All of which I can Cut & Paste to slot into the "How Was Your Stay?" email which the hotel sent me earlier today.

Best

Great atmosphere at the game (from the away fans)

Great performance from NI

Friendly locals particularly the one that sent a round of drinks to our table as an apology for the penalty.

Nice city with great infrastructure.  Swiss flight and train also n time on Sunday morning

Meeting up with old friends and new 

Wurst

The result

Stadium concourse is too small and possibly dangerous 

The weather

my phone running out of battery.  

Arrived at 1pm (another GAWA too, as it happens). Receptionist brusquely, even rudely, told us our rooms weren't ready - like it was our fault. Made a big thing about storing our bags whilst we buggered off for an hour. I got back at 10 past 2. "Er, your room's not ready yet, but you can go up - if you like".

Went up to Room 555, not only was it not ready, but it was still occupied. Went back down and explained - this was definitely my fault :o - so he himmed and hawed and gave me Room 447. Went up again, went inside and this time it was vacant, but not ready from the last occupant. Managed to find a chambermaid, who was busy cleaning 446. She graciously agreed to leave off and clean 447 for me. Turns out she had been told to drop whatever she was doing and clean 446 for someone who was due shortly i.e. me. So the git in Reception had got it wrong again and was buggering her about, too.

And thinking about it, there was no "Welcome to Basel" from him, or offer to provide any information, or charm of any kind - it was very noticeable, esp when compared with the woman at Check-Out, who was perfectly fine.

All of which I can Cut & Paste to slot into the "How Was Your Stay?" email which the hotel sent me earlier today.

That's Hectic. 

51 minutes ago, gspain said:

Best

Great atmosphere at the game (from the away fans)

Great performance from NI

Friendly locals particularly the one that sent a round of drinks to our table as an apology for the penalty.

Nice city with great infrastructure.  Swiss flight and train also n time on Sunday morning

Meeting up with old friends and new 

Wurst

The result

Stadium concourse is too small and possibly dangerous 

The weather

my phone running out of battery.  

I'm confused again,  :biggrin:

Do you not follow the RoI? 

51 minutes ago, davy ards said:

That's Hectic. 

Forgot to mention that he had originally told us to come back at 2pm, when our rooms would be ready.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this