OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
dmcc_gfc

Best & Wurst

Best

Drawing 0-0 away from home and becoming the first team in 4 years that Switzerland didn't score against at home.
Meeting a few old faces.
Pickwicks before and after the match.
Local Swiss brewbar which had guys with cheese on their head in it.
Easy to get into the Swiss end dressed in green.
A few new songs on the go.
After being told all carryout venues were shut, finding an Indian shop which was open and selling shiploads of beer to the GAWA on route till the stadium.
Thanks to someone on this site, who I have also known for years for getting me a ticket for the match.
"She's a Nazi She's a Nazi, She's a Nazi way oh way."

Worst

Despite a great result, not qualifying.
Buck eejits beside me in the stadium that obviously haven't followed NI for long and started arguments with myself and those around me. They went somewhere else second half.
Basel itself wasn't really a nice city. The Sunday morning was particularly drab, dull and boring.
No trams to the stadium so everyone had to walk.
The price of most things.

Best

Brilliant performance  was fearing the worst but players give their all , actually felt good after the game despite missing out on qualifying

Swiss fans we met in  a wee bar of the square lovely friendly people

Hotel superb , we actually stayed at same hotel as the team

Travel plans all worked like clockwork

Worst

Trams to and from the match  mad

Stadium facilities rubbish 

Basle tbh thought it was a dreary sort of place although the weather didn't help

Just adding to what has already been said

best

Dont worry be happy karaoke bar. What a great night

worst

Fellow NI fans from the Upper Tier throwing full plastic pint glasses hitting the lower tier NI supporters - disgusting behaviour wtf?

This no surrender shouting really needs knocked on the head during the anthem. Just used as a stick to beat us with

On 15/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, stephenrowley1 said:

Davy - Gary is a football fan through and through (and yes he does support the RoI) but he also goes to watch numerous games and has probably been at Windsor Park to watch us more times than about 50% of those who were there for the Germany game. He was also up at Bangor the other week for the Under 16s game (cheering on his own team naturally as you would expect).

I haven't met him in person but we have corresponded about various things and I spoke to a few Republic supporters in Paris last year who couldn't speak highly enough of him.

His tips on travel, tickets etc on here are always very well received and long may he continue to provide us with his vast knowledge.

Mine's a pint Gary when we eventually meet up after that testimonial!!

Man sounds like a genius 

On 15/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, Jim said:

Gary is from the South but follows both the ROI and Northern Ireland. Was with us the last time in Slovenia and is a member of the new IFA Membership scheme where members get pre sale on match tickets at Windsor.

Been known to accompany us to a few Linfield matches as well, great guy. :thumbsup:

Linfield, oh ffs, I take it back Stevie..... 

2 hours ago, grahamer said:

Just adding to what has already been said

best

Dont worry be happy karaoke bar. What a great night

worst

Fellow NI fans from the Upper Tier throwing full plastic pint glasses hitting the lower tier NI supporters - disgusting behaviour wtf?

This no surrender shouting really needs knocked on the head during the anthem. Just used as a stick to beat us with

WTF was that all about, and who the f**k thinks it's funny. I was lucky to be under the balcony so never got hit, but I did see those who got covered in in checking that it was alcohol. Those spanners need knee-capped.

20 minutes ago, ynwa said:

WTF was that all about, and who the f**k thinks it's funny. I was lucky to be under the balcony so never got hit, but I did see those who got covered in in checking that it was alcohol. Those spanners need knee-capped.

Was standing at the front of the upper tier and could see them going over but couldn't tell from where. Total idiots and you'd have to hope it was only beer

Most things have already been said, however, for what it's worth:

BEST

Getting tickets for the match (renewing BB with home friendly and 3 aways and didn't have enough points to be eligible for tickets from the IFA). Many thanks to turin for 2 tickets in the Swiss end. Seats high up in Block G, diagonally opposite the GAWA with super views. The Swiss around us were all great. It was also good to see members of the GAWA dotted around the ground with no apparent signs of any discord. 

The performance. If only we had played like that on Thursday night!!!

Meeting gspain. Super guy. Loves his football and extremely helpful as witnessed by his posts on this site and the testimony of others.

Price of drink was reasonable (compared to Oslo!). We paid 6.30 Swiss-around £5, for most of our pints, although we paid around £8 in a couple of places.

Whilst having a few drinks after the match a lovely Swiss lady sent over a round of drink (for 5 of us). Very generous.

Meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones.  

All the Swiss we met were great.

Sharing beers with Swiss in taxi to ground.

Cops so laid back we hardly noticed they were there.

We didn't witness any nonsense.

The weather on Tuesday and Wednesday. It was great for doing the touristy things.

All public transit in Basel being free. 

WURST

Apart from hearing, after the match, that Micky had spoken to the players, and was going to take a week to decide his own future, there was nothing much to report.

Shortly after 4.00 pm on Sunday whilst waiting for the No. 14 tram to the ground, being told that they were not running as some supporters were blocking the tracks. Quick dash back to the hotel to order a taxi. This was the only transport we had to pay for in 6 days in Basel.

Flight home from Basel on Thursday being delayed, apparently because of action/inaction by French air traffic controllers. The delay meant we missed our connection to Belfast and had to while away a few extra hours at Heathrow.

The rain on the first few days.

Not sure whether this is BEST or WURST:--- eventually  hearing about tickets from the IFA during the first half! 

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:11 PM, coatsey10 said:

Wurst

• That feeling that the bubble may have burst

• The lingering what ifs

• The cost of everything in Switzerland

• Having about  £40 worth of Swiss money I can't get changed back because their fivers are a coin.

• Knowing that's it for qualifiers for a long time

• Some drunk dikchead having a go at one of our group for having a bit of yellow on his green and white hat.

The drunk NI fan who spent the entire Belfast - Bristol and Bristol - Basel flights on Friday loudly shouting nonsense and swigging from his duty free. Embarassment.

We were on those flights too.  I was in the rows between him and his mates and even with headphones on, I couldn't drown him out :thumbdown:

I spoke to two fans in pickwicks after the game who had boughr home end tickets after being unsuccessful with the IFA, had received an email at HT from the IFA offering them two tickets. The fella actually showed me the email. 

19 hours ago, ynwa said:

Completely out of order. What's wrong with these cnuts?

1 hour ago, DerekNI said:

I spoke to two fans in pickwicks after the game who had boughr home end tickets after being unsuccessful with the IFA, had received an email at HT from the IFA offering them two tickets. The fella actually showed me the email. 

Love to know how many never collected their tickets at the Novohotel or the ground.

23 minutes ago, bazza said:

Completely out of order. What's wrong with these cnuts?

shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

BEST

- enjoyable trip, Basel was ok, had a nice few hours in Freiburg on the way back to Frankfurt.

- the match. We gave it a go

- the away atmosphere

- BSC Old Boys vs Kriens in the Swiss third tier on the Saturday. It was freezing, the Kriens' fans bought us beer, the BSC directors tried to buy us beer as we were about to go, gave us pennants and it was only 5CHF a pint in their nice wee club. Friendly.

- Schluggstube bar, what a weirdly decorated place.

- the kebabs

- I only made it to Pickwicks for the first time on the Monday. Good crack, friendly staff and an enjoyable evening watching Italy Sweden.

- free travel. Most places are only interested in catching out and fining tourists with invalid or no tickets!

WURST

- the result. Hard to take, so near but yet so far, I was gutted at the end.

- mannerless travelling GAWA idiots. For example, when you go to check in to a hotel you say "Hello, I'd like to check in please". You don't stumble up to the counter and shout "HERE. HERE. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SH1TE?" at the receptionist.

12 hours ago, DerekNI said:

Just to follow up JCNI's post (above), he showed me 8 texts/emails to the IFA during the day chasing after tickets etc, he finally got a reply 12 mins after k.o. saying there were tickets waiting for him - he replied to say he was already in the ground with his other half, in the Swiss end!

Shambolic.

18 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Just to follow up JCNI's post (above), he showed me 8 texts/emails to the IFA during the day chasing after tickets etc, he finally got a reply 12 mins after k.o. saying there were tickets waiting for him - he replied to say he was already in the ground with his other half, in the Swiss end!

Shambolic.

w***ers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this