OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Central America tour

interesting quote from O'Neill on striker selection:

“I want to play Josh Magennis and Liam Boyce. So there’s no need to bring Kyle, Conor, Will Grigg etc...”

Stronger squad than I was expecting.  Changed times as someone else said. 

Probably one of the best squads ever in terms of talent and experience for an end of season tour, remember the days of squads full of Irish League and a few token English based players, disappointed no Mcgovern, think he could have done with being involved if he wasn't injured, otherwise a good turn out. 

Disappointed that Lewis has an injury, presumably means Ferguson at left-back? I'd have Smith over Hodson. Nice to see Whyte and it's been a long road back for McCullough.

As mentioned, if McGeehan is potentially prepared to fly out immediately after a play-off final then fair enough. Hopefully he's matured like Jones.

45 minutes ago, ripley said:

“I want to play Josh Magennis and Liam Boyce. So there’s no need to bring Kyle, Conor, Will Grigg etc...”

Compare/contrast that with Michael's comment on 13th March:

“I also spoke to Will last week. He was very keen to be involved [against South Korea] but League One games will be played on that Saturday and Will thought that he would be better staying with Wigan at this time. With the summer tour to Panama and Costa Rica, we can look at the situation then.

Anyhow, unless we're playing a real "minnow", Michael often tailors his selections according to the opposition, which he always scouts carefully. Perhaps he's going to use these two games to prepare for the NL games v Austria and Bosnia, for whom he has Josh and Liam in mind?

Full credit to M'ON for the squad he has put together for this. Really does highlight how enjoyable the experience must be for the players and how they are committed to the manager and most importantly the team.

As many have said look at the NW Summer Tour squads and the smattering of IL players that gathered together with a few fringe players from England and Scotland.

9 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Full credit to M'ON for the squad he has put together for this. Really does highlight how enjoyable the experience must be for the players and how they are committed to the manager and most importantly the team.

Indeed, esp if you add a few others who would genuinely have liked to have been there, if possible (eg Davis, Lewis etc)

9 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

As many have said look at the NW Summer Tour squads and the smattering of IL players that gathered together with a few fringe players from England and Scotland.

Not just Worthington. Here is the team Sammy Mac was reduced to picking for an end-of-season friendly away to Italy in 2003 (hardly so arduous or unappealing a trip):

03/06/2003, Campobasso, Stadio Nuovo Romagnoli, 18,270
ITALY 2-0 NORTHERN IRELAND [HT 1-0]
Maik Taylor                  [Fulham]                   [28/0]
>55' Roy Carroll             [Manchester United]        [13/0]
Chris Baird                  [Southampton]              [1/0]
George McCartney             [Sunderland]               [11/1]
Aaron Hughes                 [Newcastle United]         [30/0]
Danny Griffin                [Dundee United-SCO]        [24/1]
Peter Kennedy                [Wigan Athletic]           [16/0]
>55' Mark Williams           [Stoke City]               [24/1]
Tommy Doherty                [Bristol City]             [1/0]
>86' Stuart Elliott          [Hull City]                [16/1]
Damien Johnson               [Birmingham City]          [23/0]
>69' Ciaran Toner            [Leyton Orient]            [1/0]
David Healy                  [Preston North End]        [25/8]
>75' Gary Hamilton           [Portadown]                [1/0]
Paul McVeigh                 [Norwich City]             [9/0]
>55' Steve Jones             [Crewe Alexandria]         [1/0]
Andrew Smith                 [Glentoran]                [1/0]

Six debutants from seventeen...

People saying that it's a very strong squad for an end of season tour, and I agree to an extent...but didn't we also have a good turnout for the last South American tour (Uruguay & Chile)? Or am I mis-remembering that? Now, that American tour under Worthington....Turkey in Connecticut and Chile....that was an hilarious squad.

Not keen on the McGeehan situation, at all. Would need to be hearing something very positive from him.

Upon his international recognition, McGeehan told barnsleyfc.co.uk: “It’s good to be called up and it is a proud moment. Ever since I have been injured I knew they were keeping an eye on me and my progress, I had a phone call after the Millwall game in the early part of the season but it was all just a bit too early because my leg still wasn’t in the best way and I didn’t want to jeopardise anything at Barnsley.”

Focus needs to remain on club football for the time-being for the 23-year-old though, as he wants to fire Sc**thorpe to Wembley for the play-off final which could see his club football clash with the international selection with the Sky Bet League One final due to take place at Wembley on May 27th.

“I am really happy with the call-up and it is a proud moment to receive that sort of recognition in my career, but my focus right now needs to remain on helping Sc**thorpe to progress into the play-off final and hopefully then the Championship!”

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/mcgeehan-nire/

If McGeehan gives 100% for the shirt he has my backing.

27 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/mcgeehan-nire/

If McGeehan gives 100% for the shirt he has my backing.

Must say, I was very surprised to see this selection, since for all that Michael is genial etc, he's no soft touch, either.

I guess he doesn't hold grudges, at least with younger players.

So like you, I'd be prepared to give McGeehan a second chance.

2 hours ago, ripley said:

Should just come out and say what the deal is with Grigg. 

Eightball & hughes18 - those 2 other half stories gave me and the other half a good laugh...

Strong squad, Considering its an end of season tour. 

Based on his lack of game time this season, really surprised that Hodson is in the squad ahead of Michael Smith and Tom Flanagan. 

Great to see Bailey-Peacock and Whyte in the squad. 

7 hours ago, eightball said:

So, Cameron McGeehan...

Thoughts on that?

We've given Jordan Jones a second chance, so the least we can do is afford McGeehan the same. 

Lets just put it down as a youthful indiscretion and move on.

6 hours ago, norniron93 said:

No reason given for Grigg not making the squad

For a while I was putting this down to circumstance. There always seemed to be a plausible reason. It's beginning to stretch credibility a bit now though.

6 hours ago, ripley said:

Feel for Michael Smith at Hearts not getting a look in with national team despite featuring regularly in SPL.

It's a funny one. I'm not entirely convinced that Hodson is the answer, so why not give Smith a go? 

6 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

No McGovern? Strange one that, I'd have said.

Mystic Clint predicts that Carson and Peacock-Farrell will get a full match each. Hazard will be along for the experience, with is OK. It wouldn't be OK to bring McGovern along under those circumstances.

4 minutes ago, clark686 said:

Strong squad, Considering its an end of season tour. 

It is.

Same as a lot on here pretty good squad and they do a good job out there. Surprised at McGeehan as I thought he had disappeared for good but glad he’s back in as I think he could be a cracker given the chance. Lots of guys will have family commitments and other things on the go but would really love to know what’s going on with Grigg as I still feel he could be great for us.