OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Central America tour

A wee reality check about Will Grigg. He has scored loads in League One. In the Championship he scored 6 in a season. 

It does have a good balance between old and new. Youngsters getting blooded on a foreign stage with enough quality experience around to (hopefully) avoid any tankings.

About Hodson, he's done a solid enough job at RB for us often enough but, as a LB? - no.

Delighted for Luke McC as well. Full of potential - seems have been playing centre mid for Doncaster mind.

9 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

Apparently he's still unsure whether he'll play on with Hearts etc,

Perhaps this tour is a way of keeping him reasonably fit during the close season?

I'd say at his age, it would be very easy to lose fitness over the course of a couple of months.

Beyond that, the squad's a nice combination of youth and experience, though as ever, we're short up front. Would like to have seen Lafferty on tour, so as to keep his fitness sharp, too.

No McGovern? Strange one that, I'd have said.

Regarding McGovern, I wonder if his priority over the summer is finding a new club. Going on tour, with the potential of getting injured, might not be in his (or our) best interests right now

9 hours ago, Norniron1989 said:

Thought Calum Camps would be an option aswell.

With Saville, McNair, Norwood and Evans he is still down the list a bit

8 hours ago, CityofLisburn said:

I would think Grigg has gone unfortunately 

If he was definitely making himself unavailable I would have thought there would be some sort of statement in the media from him.

Grigg's scored 6 in the championship, whereas Josh Maginnis . ..........

1 hour ago, Tarabonga said:

Grigg's scored 6 in the championship, whereas Josh Maginnis . ..........

... has set-up and scored goals that helped get us to the second round of the Euros and qualify for the World cup play-offs!

Maginnis gets selected no matter if he plays well or badly (and more often than not it's the latter), whereas Grigg doesn't get selected despite being a natural goalscorer rather than a work(cart)horse. I understand MON's need to select players who will pull their weight, but I don't think he has given Grigg the chance to show that he can play in the NI system.

Not sure MON is fan of Griggs possibly his playing style and hopefully not to do with him stealing the limelight at the Euros with the song.

No point comparing him to anyone, as Healy wasn't great at league level but prolific for us. Magennis, Boyce and Grigg have all similar games to goals at international level. With about 1 goal in 10 games for each of them and then you would have to consider the games they have played in and whether they were subs or not, so like I side no point unles you go down to the fine detail.

For me you just pick the players who are on form and fit your game plan but can't see how he is not a sub to bring on as an impact player, he is going on 27 and I hope we use him and get the most of him before his goals dry up.

It's surely not a question of Josh or Will, but whether Michael is going to use Josh and Will, since they are different players, performing different roles.

Big Josh has forced himself into the team under Michael in the way eg another journeyman, James Quinn, did under Sanchez - old-fashioned, "90 minute men" who do a job which suits our team and our style. And let's be clear, Josh has usually been at the heart of our recent fine run of form, in the same way Kyle L was previously, before he lost form and fitness.

So as I see it, if Kyle can get his mojo back, it's him and/or Josh to start, depending on whether Michael wants one or two big guys up front, with Conor W another candidate for that role.

Which means Grigg is actually competing with Boyce for the "finisher" role, if Michael decides he wants such a player.

Meanwhile, Paul Smyth is now mounting a challenge to Dallas/Ward/McGinn etc for the wide attacking/winger role. 

Apparently Alex McLeish has taken a bit of stick in Scotland for arranging an end-of-season tour for them like ours..

Here is what Michael had to say about it:

O'Neill has also defended [McLeish's] decision to play two friendlies against Peru and Mexico at the end of the season, calling them "invaluable".

Five Celtic players will not travel, while Andrew Robertson will also be missing.

Scotland travel to face Peru on 29 May, followed by Mexico on 2 June.

He said: "Some of the reaction initially to the tour was poor. I think it's important the clubs try and support the national team.

"For instance we (Northern Ireland) are going to Panama and Costa Rica. Four years ago we went to Uruguay and Chile.

"One of the big things as an international team manager is when you're in a double header in qualification, it's so intense. This is a different environment, it's an easier environment if you're going to bring young players in. It's invaluable.

"It is always different when you play international football and you can only benefit."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44116957