OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Central America tour

11 hours ago, J.Q. said:

How much is a pint in Panama ?

The price of a mars bar ūüĎć

Only went to Costa Rica but may as well...

BEST

Costa Rica is class once you get out of San Jose. Wildlife in Tortuguero, waterfalls and the volcano in La Fortuna, zip-lining and the cloud forest in Monteverde. The Tarzan Swing there was without doubt the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Not your average away trip activities.

People were dead friendly, gave us directions and tolerated our terrible Spanish everywhere. They seem genuinely excited for the WC, AliExpress-esque fake tops in every shop!

Ozzy's sports bar in SJ was some steam the night before the game. Shots and bottles of vodka aplenty. About 20 of us walked in (wearing green) and the staff put some fiddle-de-dee music on - Moby had changed it to SLF within about 30 seconds.

Got engaged (not at the game or anything daft like that). Pleasantly surprised the ring remained intact after 12 days in a rucksack.

WORST

San Jose is pretty uninspiring. Stadium was nice but it's basically just a crumbling car park. Every other business is a mechanics/garage.

11am kick-off and the subsequent performance. No time for a football match, for hungover fans or energy-sapped players.

28 hours door-to-door to get home.

Aye, some trip that, what an experience. 

Spent an evening and night in Leiden on the way out, nice place, better option than going into Amsterdam. 

Panama City was nice, interesting sights, Casco Viejo, Panama Viejo, Miraflores Locks, the Causeway. Doubt I've sweated so much at a football match in my life though and that includes all the ones I played in. That was some pre game show by the Panamanians too. 

Stayed in La Fortuna in Costa Rica for three nights. Could see a volcano from my hotel room door, swam in waterfalls, kayaked past crocodiles, hiked volcano trails, walked hanging bridges over a forest canopy, watched a family of monkeys swing through the trees, saw sloths, odd red and blue frogs, snakes, iguanas, etc. Brilliant area to stay in, so much to do, and going by other people's photos and stories it's not the only area in the country like that. Would definitely like to go back and do a bit more of Costa Rica some time. 

Locals (and Venezuelans, who seemed to make it up most of the bar staff in Panama) were superb, so friendly and helpful. One example, we got a taxi from La Fortuna to La Fortuna waterfall a few miles outside of the town. When we got there the taxi driver wouldn't take any money but gave us his phone number, said to give him a call when we were ready to go back, he'd come pick us up and we could pay him then. 

Had some lovely craft beer which was unexpected. 

San Jose was a bit of a kip as hughes18 says, (ATMs shut down at 10pm to try to cut down on robberies) but by that point I'd already done more than expected on the trip so it didn't really matter. Couple of brilliant days' and nights' crack on the piss in San Jose around the Costa Rica game. 

Decent performance vs Panama, lacked any quality in the final third. Costa Rica were better than Panama, NI played very poorly, odd kick off time and the conditions were not a good combination for the the second game. Hard to see what MON learned from the two games but that's probably not the point. 

26 hours door to door to get home. 

Stayed in La Fortuna in Costa Rica for three nights. Could see a volcano from my hotel room door, swam in waterfalls, kayaked past crocodiles, hiked volcano trails, walked hanging bridges over a forest canopy, watched a family of monkeys swing through the trees, saw sloths, odd red and blue frogs, snakes, iguanas, etc. Brilliant area to stay in, so much to do, and going by other people's photos and stories it's not the only area in the country like that. Would definitely like to go back and do a bit more of Costa Rica some time.

that sounds amazing, what an experience... Love hearing about trips like that rather than just beer guzzling. Costa Ricans must've been v.surprised to see so many NI fans there....hats off to all those GAWA who made the long journey

On 8 June 2018 at 5:39 PM, hughes18 said:

Costa Rica is class once you get out of San Jose. Wildlife in Tortuguero, waterfalls and the volcano in La Fortuna, zip-lining and the cloud forest in Monteverde. The Tarzan Swing there was without doubt the most terrifying thing I've ever done.

Did the Tarzan swing in Monteverde too. Downpour throughout the zip-lining, soaked to the skin. I have to say one massive plus during the trip was not hearing NS during GSTQ in San Jose - the first time I've experienced that at any N.Ireland match. I guess the solitary idiot who uttered the words in Panama City thought better of it or maybe he only did the one game.

How many fans did we have at the games jcm? Looked lively on the highlights

1 hour ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

How many fans did we have at the games jcm? Looked lively on the highlights

Around 100 I reckon, not as many as the IFA apparently stated. I picked up tickets for 6 London NISC members at the team hotel in Panama City, 5 of whom didn't make the trip. It seems the IFA might have mixed up initial 'expressions of interest' with actual ticket purchases. 

Cheers. The others must have watched the Panama game in an all-night lock-in at Philo's ;)

21 hours ago, jcm said:

Around 100 I reckon, not as many as the IFA apparently stated. I picked up tickets for 6 London NISC members at the team hotel in Panama City, 5 of whom didn't make the trip. It seems the IFA might have mixed up initial 'expressions of interest' with actual ticket purchases. 

Someone still had to log in and pay for them?

Noticed the names of a few people on the ticket collection sheets who I didn't end up seeing at the games.