Jump to content
OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Central America tour

Recommended Posts

Our wee club is in the early stages of planning on doing this trip. It's our 10th anniversary in April and we were planning on a sporting trip of some description to celebrate as we aren't involved in the World Cup. The Grand National, FA Cup Final, Scottish Grand National and a hospitality weekend over to the home of club football, Ibrox were some of the idea's but now this has come along. It's tempting but obviously the overall costs will determine the decision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael's Muchachos

4 of us interested in going, depends on costs/logistics... Looking forward to some seeing some mad travel plans on here over the coming months.

anyone in the know re: possibilities of travelling with IFA party?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently in Vietnam and won't be home until late April (via Cambodia and Thailand) so I think it might just be ripping the arse out of it.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stephenrowley1 said:

Currently in Vietnam and won't be home until late April (via Cambodia and Thailand) so I think it might just be ripping the arse out of it.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all by the way.

Lucky boyo.  Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the Weather is like in Costa Rica in June

June is officially the beginning of Costa Rica’s rainy season, or “green season.” Rain will (undoubtedly) be somewhat more frequent in June. So, whereas, perhaps in May, it rained four out of every seven afternoons, in June it may rain five out of every seven afternoons. Nevertheless, the weather is still transitioning and so, unlike October and November where daily rainstorms are the norm, June should still be about half-dry and half-wet.

It is also important to take into account that rain in Costa Rica is rarely cold or uncomfortable. For most of the country, a warm, periodic afternoon rainstorm is actually a welcome event as it clears away the stuffy clouds for a bit and leaves the trees and plants green and refreshed.

Temperatures during June will continue to vary from roughly 70-90 degrees fahrenheit (18-32 celsius) during the day, and about 10-15 degrees cooler during the night. The weather on the Caribbean side of the country is much less easily predictable, but by and large, it tends to be rainier. June is no exception and, in fact, the past few Junes have brought on considerable flooding on the Caribbean side due to increased rains.

What to Pack for a June Trip

For a trip to Costa Rica in June, you are definitely going to want to bring along a travel umbrella. These umbrellas are usually small, compact, and quick-drying – all qualities that ensure that you can easily have it with you at all times. Raincoats or ponchos are also helpful to have on hand if you are going for a hike in the woods and will be under the elements for extended periods of time. However, if you are going into town, think like a Tico and bring your umbrella. View our detailed Costa Rica Packing List article.

Pros to Visiting Costa Rica in June

  • Low season prices mean you get more bang for your buck
  • Beaches and national parks will be less crowded
  • There aren’t too many festivities taking place so activity and transportation schedules won’t be affected

Cons to Visiting Costa Rica in June

  • Accommodation costs may fluctuate between high and low season pricing during this month
  • Rivers and roads may be affected by torrential rains
  • No guaranteed suntans

https://www.creescapes.com/when-to-visit-costa-rica/june/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

emmm, might have to give this a miss. Will look closer after Christmas. That's great info anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the most interesting away tour in my opinion since the Caribbean one (where we were unbeaten and Healy broke Clarkeys record and I regret missing it). It will be tough to stay unbeaten in this one and tough for me to regret missing it again. I backpacked both countries a few years ago and loved them both. Panama City's mix of Old Town (with its Cuban rum style bars and pokey cafes) v. the Mega modern New City was extreme and I also visited the canal (at Miraflores Locks so might do a different part of canal if I go back). Costa Rica wasn't quite as nice a country but still found San Jose a great city and I'm sure the GAWA will bring both to life. Internal buses and hostels were very cheap when I was there.

Ticket scandal coming up for sure. What are the chances of us having to buy in the home end again?

Flights via Madrid (with a Ryanair to Madrid return) plus unusual connections (for those that have time to spare) should keep costs down on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonny, did u stay in any coastal resorts in costa rica?, we re thinking of doin 2-3wk  hol there and take in the 2 games but would to be there for costa rica wc opener on 17th june.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, aubsni said:

Jonny, did u stay in any coastal resorts in costa rica?, we re thinking of doin 2-3wk  hol there and take in the 2 games but would to be there for costa rica wc opener on 17th june.

No. But I did that in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua and the coastline was amazing. By the time I had backpacked down to Costa Rica, I was pretty bored of Central America. The best thing about Costa Rica for me was staying in the Hemingway Hotel, visiting a church made of metal and seeing a Toucan.

 

If you have 2-3 weeks, I'd only spend 5-6 days in Costa Rica. Honduras and El Salvador in particular are a lot nicer in my opnion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jonny said:

If you have 2-3 weeks, I'd only spend 5-6 days in Costa Rica. Honduras and El Salvador in particular are a lot nicer in my opnion.

Interesting. I've heard that Costa Rica is the safest country in the region in terms of crime etc and is making a big push to attract tourists on this score, whereas neighbouring countries (inc Honduras) are much less safe.

Maybe it's more a matter of image than reality?

I personally wouldn't worry about any of them if on my own/with the lads, but if I do go, it will likely be incorporated in my annual holiday with the g/f.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2017 at 8:41 PM, EalingGreen said:

Interesting. I've heard that Costa Rica is the safest country in the region in terms of crime etc and is making a big push to attract tourists on this score, whereas neighbouring countries (inc Honduras) are much less safe.

Maybe it's more a matter of image than reality?

I personally wouldn't worry about any of them if on my own/with the lads, but if I do go, it will likely be incorporated in my annual holiday with the g/f.

Costa Rica, as you say "make a big push on tourism". For me that's money orientated only and gives me even more reason to favour the others ahead of it. Countries that don't make a push for tourism are normally the better ones to visit, more raw and real and not just after tourist dollars. I much preferred the rawness of El Salvador and Honduras but we don't play them two. In terms of safety, mostly media hype. I spent two nights in what is often dubbed "the most dangerous city in the world" and it was nicer than Costa Rica's San Jose! Closer to the time, I guess we will discuss the countries more, though the wildlife in Costa Rica was good. You can see snakes, iguanas and toucans there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31 December 2017 at 11:50 AM, Jonny said:

Costa Rica, as you say "make a big push on tourism". For me that's money orientated only and gives me even more reason to favour the others ahead of it. Countries that don't make a push for tourism are normally the better ones to visit, more raw and real and not just after tourist dollars. I much preferred the rawness of El Salvador and Honduras but we don't play them two. In terms of safety, mostly media hype. I spent two nights in what is often dubbed "the most dangerous city in the world" and it was nicer than Costa Rica's San Jose! Closer to the time, I guess we will discuss the countries more, though the wildlife in Costa Rica was good. You can see snakes, iguanas and toucans there.

Your travel adventures and wanderlust are to be admired, but we would be looking at a 'less raw' experience... Maybe a trip to Panama City take in the match and canal, fly to San Jose for the match there and then a nice relaxing CR coastal resort (maybe with a day trip thrown into the mix) would be our thinking.

obviously you do the travelling on a budget using internal public transport etc but can you advise on any travel companies who provide a good service and well costed itineraries?

can any other GAWA personally recommend any travel companies who would be good to contact re: Panama/Costa Rica itineraries?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aubsni said:

 

can any other GAWA personally recommend any travel companies who would be good to contact re: Panama/Costa Rica itineraries?

 

Talk to David at Portrush Travel. He is extremely knowledgeable and will be able to advise you on the options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Laird said:

Talk to David at Portrush Travel. He is extremely knowledgeable and will be able to advise you on the options.

Cheers laird, will try that out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×