OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Central America tour

Doesn't look as if I'll be doing this trip, but if I were, I'd actually take the "holiday" part in Colombia - apparently it's a great country to visit (they've sorted out the violence in all the touristy bits).

And it neighbours Panama, so quick/easy/cheap to get there and from there to Costa Rica.

colombia_costa_rica_guatemala_panama_pip

I know a few people who have recently spent time in Colombia and loved it - Cartagena (beachy) and Medellin (city) seems to be popular.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:35 AM, EalingGreen said:

Doesn't look as if I'll be doing this trip, but if I were, I'd actually take the "holiday" part in Colombia - apparently it's a great country to visit (they've sorted out the violence in all the touristy bits).

And it neighbours Panama, so quick/easy/cheap to get there and from there to Costa Rica.

Never been in either country but not as easy as you'd think as no overland route.  So cheap option by boat or expensive by air.  

http://www.bigworldsmallpockets.com/travel-from-panama-to-colombia/

Fantastic trip though.  

2 hours ago, gspain said:

Never been in either country but not as easy as you'd think as no overland route.  So cheap option by boat or expensive by air.  

http://www.bigworldsmallpockets.com/travel-from-panama-to-colombia/

Fantastic trip though.  

Flights aren't as expensive as that website indicates. Can currently get O.W. non-stop flights in May with COPA from Bogota or Medellin to Panama for £110 (approx) or from Cartagena £140 (approx).

And if you do a multi-trip ticket with eg Avianca (London-Bogota-Panama-San Jose-London?), the Colombia to Panama leg should work out even cheaper.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, EalingGreen said:

Spent a month travelling round Colombia in 2015. Absolutely cracking country and felt very safe (more so than various other countries further South). If anyone is thinking about it give me a shout. A lot of the London NISC are keen on this trip and personally going to try and hit both countries as well as venturing into Nicaragua time permitting. 

On 04/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, aubsni said:

Cheers laird, will try that out...

I agree with the Laird - keep the money within Northern Ireland. I tend to travel alone and not use foreign tour companies unless I am working with them - however in Costa Rica - San Jose my friend Michael Miller can give you an EXCELLENT 3-4 hour city tour for a good price. I can even organise him to give the GAWA a city tour of San Jose if you like? He's a travel writer and published author from San Jose. If anyone is keen on this let me know and I'll put him in touch with prices, timings and group sizes etc. The tour will of course be in English, not Spanish!!

I'm still not 100% sure I'm going on this trip, but we all know these things only happen once in a lifetime...

14 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

Flights aren't as expensive as that website indicates. Can currently get O.W. non-stop flights in May with COPA from Bogota or Medellin to Panama for £110 (approx) or from Cartagena £140 (approx).

And if you do a multi-trip ticket with eg Avianca (London-Bogota-Panama-San Jose-London?), the Colombia to Panama leg should work out even cheaper.

Yes Ealing Green, I myself flew into Panama from Bogota and it was cheap. There is even an airline - I think it is COPA that give you 24 hours in Panama with a connection on to Mexico City after that.

And overlanding from Panama to Colombia is a no go if you are not used to spending weeks in the jungle of the Darian Gap - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap 

Some travel photos from those countries:

Panama City -

New City is full of offices and skyscrapers. Old City is really old actually and I loved it. Full of poky bars, cafes and churches. Had a few local beers - Atlas was the best I think.

Panama New City -

DSCF9378.JPG

Penis fountain...

DSCF9386.JPG

DSCF9437.jpg

Panama Old City -

DSCF9416.JPG

DSCF9446.JPG

DSCF9454.JPG

DSCF9452.JPG

Think we might have to find some Green and White Panama Hats...

DSCF9445.JPG

I remember the buses were a bit nuts -

DSCF9369.JPG

Bars to be raided by the GAWA:

DSCF9415.JPG

DSCF9412.JPG

Panama Canal -

Very touristic and you can see it at Miraflores if you pay entry. I do advise paying entry - you could see it for free too but there is no viewing platform then and the place you pay into is the famous part where you are almost guaranteed to see a ship - think we stayed for 1-2 hours and saw about 5 ships. The Miraflores Locks was the part I went to - 

DSCF9518.JPG

DSCF9521.JPG

DSCF9495.JPG

COSTA RICA

San Jose -

Lots of sights and as said I can help organise a GAWA Walking tour of the city through my friend and travel writer there.

http://dontstopliving.net/walking-tour-san-jose-costa-rica-top-10-sights/

There's a John Lennon bench and an Anne Frank statue, I also visited the stadium where the match will be played.

P1010731.jpg

P1010876.jpg

P1010901.jpgP1010903.jpgP1010906.jpgP1010938.jpg

Good bars in the city - will dig out the name of this football bar I went to - very welcoming -

P1010854.jpg

Wildlife and villages:

P1020064.jpg

6283715.jpgP1020132.jpgP1020092.jpg

They're brilliant photos Jonny, want to go even more now, agree with u about once in a lifetime trip opportunity. Hey hope u didn't pay more than 35c for that food, it's not a winner winner chicken dinner! Lim

like the green & white Panama hat idea....

if trip becomes a goer, would defo be interested in doin that San Jose tour.

Apart from John Lennon.....not a fan of his political opinion...

5 hours ago, aubsni said:

They're brilliant photos Jonny, want to go even more now, agree with u about once in a lifetime trip opportunity. Hey hope u didn't pay more than 35c for that food, it's not a winner winner chicken dinner! Lim

like the green & white Panama hat idea....

if trip becomes a goer, would defo be interested in doin that San Jose tour.

Winner winner chicken binner haha.hope Jonny didn't think that's the cats ass .piss poor chicken with tomato ketchup.lol.

i guess it was just a bedtime munch.lol.

On 07/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, axebelfast said:

Winner winner chicken binner haha.hope Jonny didn't think that's the cats ass .piss poor chicken with tomato ketchup.lol.

i guess it was just a bedtime munch.lol.

Was only about 80 p so it was. You'll all be eating them in May - June. Although in fairness, I hope the team get better grub!