OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Central America tour

Jordan Jones took ill yesterday and had to have surgery. Players dropping like flies already!

EDIT: He suffered a twisted testicle. Ouch.

2 hours ago, hughes18 said:

EDIT: He suffered a twisted testicle. Ouch.

Oooooooh.

I thought Twisted Sister were bad, but twisted testicle sounds much worse.

7 hours ago, RichardM said:

Squad to be announced on Monday. 

Talk (in the BelTel admittedly) of Gavin Whyte being included.

16 hours ago, Clint said:

Talk (in the BelTel admittedly) of Gavin Whyte being included.

Would be fully justified, and a great experience for him.

7 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

Would be fully justified, and a great experience for him.

Indeed. This is what these types of matches are for. Let's not forget that Billy Bingham ALWAYS took Irish League players to the World Cup, and I think he capped around 15 Irish League players in his times as manager. Stevie McBride and John Devine being ones I remember vividly as a child.

18 hours ago, Jackie said:

:( Jealous :(

Me too but, to be fair, Gavin deserves to be called up ahead of me.

19 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Indeed. This is what these types of matches are for. Let's not forget that Billy Bingham ALWAYS took Irish League players to the World Cup, and I think he capped around 15 Irish League players in his times as manager. Stevie McBride and John Devine being ones I remember vividly as a child.

There's a big difference between picking an IL player, and picking a player who is probably on his way to England.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Let's not forget that Billy Bingham ALWAYS took Irish League players to the World Cup, and I think he capped around 15 Irish League players in his times as manager. Stevie McBride and John Devine being ones I remember vividly as a child.

Tbf, I expect it wasn't always entirely through choice that BB reverted to the IL to make up a squad.

And in any case, there was probably less of a gap in standards then between the IL and England/Scotland (for the leading IL teams, at least)

41 minutes ago, Clint said:

Me too but, to be fair, Gavin deserves to be called up ahead of me.

There's a big difference between picking an IL player, and picking a player who is probably on his way to England.

You never know in life. I still wonder what Ollie Ralph and Gary McCartney could have done for Northern Ireland. Let's not forget big GMac who waited until he was older to move across the water and then he decided to dick the Ukraine and make a bigger stamp than even Gerry Taggart did.

Across the water reason doesn't work with me Clint - remember:

"He's Smith, he's Smith. he's Andy Andy Smith"

(he didn't look out of place during a 0-0 draw with Champions League superstars, yet did Preston or Sheffield United even care?)

4 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Tbf, I expect it wasn't always entirely through choice that BB reverted to the IL to make up a squad.

And in any case, there was probably less of a gap in standards then between the IL and England/Scotland (for the leading IL teams, at least)

I cannot argue with that, and I'm a Glenman. Because at the  time Glentoran humbled Lokomotiv Leipzig, Spartak Moscow and many others at the Oval. Gone are those days, but Johnny Jameson was uncapped due to the Sunday thing, yet he went to Espana 82. Goalkeeper George Dunlop was third choice in 82 and 4th in 86, I'm not sure that will happen again, but Gavin needs to be included.

I would imagine no Jordan Jones and Steven Davis in the squad tmw, hopefully a place for Smyth, Peacock Farrell, Whyte, Lavery and Lewis. 

I would expect at the very least Smyth, Peacock-Farrell and Lewis in the squad, we have no clue yet how many senior players will be missing, as well as the two you have mentioned, i think McLaughlin and Saville are injured as well, we also have the possibility of Norwood & Magennis being in the playoff finals, so that would be them out of the tour as well. I am really hoping that there is a surprise name or two in the squad.