OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

South Korea

Looking forward to this match now. The prospect of so many vital players being out would usually fill me with dread, but there seems to be a bit of optimism now. I hope the young guys all get a run out and enjoy the atmosphere.

11 hours ago, stephenrowley1 said:

Quite ironic actually as I was in the exactly same area when Ards played the Glens Seconds in the final of the Steel and Sons a few years back and I rang by brother every ten minutes or so for an update - Ards got tanked but that's the year the Glens played a 'ringer' and the trophy was taken off them but for some reason wasn't awarded to Ards.

At least this time I'll be able to follow the game on the 'net but with those ladies about I mightn't have any spare hands left to check my IPad ?

Hi Stephen

hope you're having a blast,just tune into radio Ulster,as that's what I'll be doing.

depends on the time zone obviously .haha.

stay outta trouble by the way.

8 hours ago, axebelfast said:

Hi Stephen

hope you're having a blast,just tune into radio Ulster,as that's what I'll be doing.

depends on the time zone obviously .haha.

stay outta trouble by the way.

Cheers 'Axe' - be seven hours ahead here so God knows what I'll be up to by that stage ?

And there was me thinking the 2pm ko was for Korean TV, when it was for you all along Stephen ?

Great result. S'Korea were very good. The opening minutes looked like a re-run of the last Germany match and I feared a 3 or 4 goal hammering. We were slow, rusty, losing 50/50s, and unable to string two passes together - except if the last one went back to the goalkeeper.  Thankfully we started to get stuck into them, and their defence also looked vulnerable. I thought Washington did a great job of unsettling them when he came on.

Carson was excellent. Lewis had a very hard introduction to international football but settled and looked good coming forward. Sadly, Jones hardly got a kick - one run in the first half is all that stands out -  (all the long balls seemed to be aimed at Ward). Delighted for Paul Smyth - what a debut.

When's the last time we won without Davis in the side?

A decent game for a friendly and nice to get a win. Great to see a few of the inexperienced lads involved too. That was a lovely goal by Smyth to win it. 

All the talk, too, about Grigg not being involved because Wigan had an important game today...he was an unused sub.

Thought we did rightly, yer boyo from Spurs (no 7) was the best player in the park, and their number 10 and one of their subs also looked good. But they struggled in the air at the back. Why didn't we pitch more long balls up to them, and I couldn't believe Josh taking a throw in a decent position in the second half, and throwing it short.

But a good run out and a chance to look at some new players..

Thought our midfield was very soft. Need a proper holding midfielder. Maybe McNair will fill that role. I'd have given Carson man of the match. Lewis did well after a shaky start. Big Josh was poor. Washington made a difference when he came on. Jones didn't get enough of the ball. Nice to see a bit of creativity from a set piece. Smyth took the goal very well. Hopefully the first of many 

7 hours ago, Tarabonga said:

And there was me thinking the 2pm ko was for Korean TV, when it was for you all along Stephen ?

And I didn't even get to see it - had to settle for following it on the BBC sports website ?

Apart from the result it was a bit like turning back the clock with all the withdrawals. The performance was a bit patchy but I don't think you could have expected any more. Well done Michael and team.

"After that we have as good as we got and it was great to go on and win the game - and the nature of how we won it was fabulous.

"The intention was always to have Paul Smyth in.

"We didn't name him in the original squad because it was too complicated.

"With the 21s playing Spain on Thursday we wanted his focus to be there, we didn't tell him he was coming in until after the game. That was the plan all along."

some quotes from MON from the BBC about Smyth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43529184