OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

South Korea

There is such a thing as an entertaining friendly!  

Enjoyable day out.  I'm sure loads of kids enjoyed their first NI match.  Having Korean fans scattered throughout the Kop even added to the occasion.  Decent atmosphere.

koreans were abit unlucky to lose but there you go!  

Delighted for Paul Smyth - hopefully he fulfils his potential and is a good attacking option for us in the years to come.

decent game and atmosphere for a friendly, as said we started poorly and the early goal set us back but we recovered with the great set piece and Smyth's tidy finish late on, Washington did well when he came on

was the disallowed goal before our equalizer offside or for a foul?

considering the players missing a good result, new players all done well & great to see McNair & Cathcart back

Is it just me, much prefer an evening KO under the lights

Just re watching the match here and didn't realise at the time how well Washington did for the winner 

Smyth must be tiny. It took me a couple of replays to realise who had headed it on to him as Washington looked like a giant yet I think he's about 5'8" (a perfectly acceptable height ;) ). I suppose he's quite well built for a footballer though.

1 hour ago, chopper1 said:

decent game and atmosphere for a friendly, as said we started poorly and the early goal set us back but we recovered with the great set piece and Smyth's tidy finish late on, Washington did well when he came on

was the disallowed goal before our equalizer offside or for a foul?

considering the players missing a good result, new players all done well & great to see McNair & Cathcart back

Is it just me, much prefer an evening KO under the lights

Listened to the radio commentary and I think they said it was offside. 

1 minute ago, Simon-613 said:

Listened to the radio commentary and I think they said it was offside. 

If you mean the Korean one it was for a foul. Our one was offside 

1 hour ago, richboy said:

Smyth must be tiny. It took me a couple of replays to realise who had headed it on to him as Washington looked like a giant yet I think he's about 5'8" (a perfectly acceptable height ;) ). I suppose he's quite well built for a footballer though.

Yeah I noticed Washingtons build before.  His psychice is almost more like a body builder than a footballer. 

4 hours ago, davidbr said:

Great result. S'Korea were very good. The opening minutes looked like a re-run of the last Germany match and I feared a 3 or 4 goal hammering. We were slow, rusty, losing 50/50s, and unable to string two passes together - except if the last one went back to the goalkeeper.  Thankfully we started to get stuck into them, and their defence also looked vulnerable. I thought Washington did a great job of unsettling them when he came on.

Carson was excellent. Lewis had a very hard introduction to international football but settled and looked good coming forward. Sadly, Jones hardly got a kick - one run in the first half is all that stands out -  (all the long balls seemed to be aimed at Ward). Delighted for Paul Smyth - what a debut.

When's the last time we won without Davis in the side?

On the radio they said that Davis had played the last 28 games before today's match. Which means the last match he missed was the 1-1 draw against Qatar that was played at Gresty Road in May 2015.

Working back from that, I make 28th March 2009 the last time we won without Davis. It was a 3-2 win against Poland in a World Cup qualifier. Team was Taylor. McAuley, Hughes, Craigan. J.Evans, Johnson, Clingan, McCann, Brunt, Healy, Feeney. Subs: Baird and Little. Manager: Worthington. Goals by Feeney, Evans and an o.g. 

9 minutes ago, exhausted said:

If you mean the Korean one it was for a foul. Our one was offside 

Our one

29 minutes ago, Simon-613 said:

On the radio they said that Davis had played the last 28 games before today's match. Which means the last match he missed was the 1-1 draw against Qatar that was played at Gresty Road in May 2015.

Working back from that, I make 28th March 2009 the last time we won without Davis. It was a 3-2 win against Poland in a World Cup qualifier. Team was Taylor. McAuley, Hughes, Craigan. J.Evans, Johnson, Clingan, McCann, Brunt, Healy, Feeney. Subs: Baird and Little. Manager: Worthington. Goals by Feeney, Evans and an o.g. 

That wasn't just any o.g.!

As for our disallowed goal, Ward was a mile offside.

Fantastic day all things considered.

After a goal and celebration like that I honestly don't know how I'd cope if he defected to ROI later down the line. Really hope he sees his career is best served playing for Michael and NI. 

Funny how a goal can make all the difference great result in the end on what as a bit of a patchy display . Positives for me Carson great performance on debut, Big McAuley still has it, Saville in midfield looked good and what a debut for Smyth . Worthwhile excercise and great to see Windsor packed for a friendly.

A fantastic result, they were as you would expect technically excellent and did cut through us at times only to be denied by grea last ditch tackling or blocks. That result need to be put in perspective, our starting eleven today included a goalkeeper making his international debut, a centre back who hasn't played very much over the last few months for a team that is badly struggling, a left back making his international debut who has played a total of 16 professional games, a left winger making his starting debut for NI, a midfielder who has spent the last few months on the bench at Fulham, another who was making only his 2nd international apperance, when you take all these things into account it really was an exceptional result.

Well that was enjoyable.

A victory over a good team, on a sunny afternoon, with an audacious first goal and a gleeful second. What more could you ask for?