OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

South Korea

10 hours ago, RaveDave said:

A fantastic result, they were as you would expect technically excellent and did cut through us at times only to be denied by grea last ditch tackling or blocks. That result need to be put in perspective, our starting eleven today included a goalkeeper making his international debut, a centre back who hasn't played very much over the last few months for a team that is badly struggling, a left back making his international debut who has played a total of 16 professional games, a left winger making his starting debut for NI, a midfielder who has spent the last few months on the bench at Fulham, another who was making only his 2nd international apperance, when you take all these things into account it really was an exceptional result.

Sobering....

9 hours ago, Clint said:

Well that was enjoyable.

A victory over a good team, on a sunny afternoon, with an audacious first goal and a gleeful second. What more could you ask for?

Well said...

Think that was the best friendly I've attended. 

Great day out. Great result. Great support. 

Paul Smyth's on fire

11 hours ago, Clint said:

Well that was enjoyable.

A victory over a good team, on a sunny afternoon, with an audacious first goal and a gleeful second. What more could you ask for?

Nail on the head, great afternoon!

Not sure about the Korean fans behind us squealing like 13 year old girls at a pop concert though... ?

Yeah was a bit odd but also a nice change having away fans that you actually know are there (I am excluding the banner-unfurling, firework-chucking Romanians from that!)

Great day out and I would say there are a fair few kids who probably saw their first game yday and will hopefully be hooked!

3 hours ago, dmcc_gfc said:

Great day out and I would say there are a fair few kids who probably saw their first game yday and will hopefully be hooked!

Walking down the back of the road parallel to the North Stand after the game it was incredible to see so many boys and girls vividly discussing the game with their parents, beaming with pride, skipping down the road pretending to be George Saville.

After all the worries and concerns post Switzerland there is an incredible feel good factor around the team once again.

I'm not a fan of yesterday's 2:00 pm kick-off time. :thumbdown: 

I didn't mind the kick off time although I do associate international football with night games under the floodlights 

8 minutes ago, exhausted said:

I didn't mind the kick off time although I do associate international football with night games under the floodlights 

I like to go for something to eat and/or a few drinks prior to the game (when I'm off work the next day). I didn't have much time for that yesterday. Not much of a reason I know, particularly given I called into my rugby club on the way home for a few swift pints.

As enjoyable a friendly as I can remember. Decent enough performance without some regulars against good opposition, even more impressive when you consider there were three debutants too.

Nice sunny day out too and I'm sure many of the kids there for the first time will be hooked. Just temper their expectations, parents.

Saville is going to be an excellent player for us. The free-kick was joyous, as was Smyth's goal obviously. Big G played well too.

I see David Parkhouse from the U21s was part of the warm-up, although he wasn't actually on the bench.

Was Aaron taken off due to injury or tactical change?

4 minutes ago, aubsni said:

Was Aaron taken off due to injury or tactical change?

He was treated for an injury a bit earlier

Considering big G hasn't played much lately for West Brom I thought he played very well. Lewis looked a little bit shaky at times which I suppose is only natural for his first game but he will surely grow into a very good left back for us.

I actually thought he looked lost for large period, didn't know who his man was a lot of the time. That said, he is young and it was their first together him and Jones so maybe not a surprise. 

Just now, dmcc_gfc said:

I actually thought he looked lost for large period, didn't know who his man was a lot of the time. That said, he is young and it was their first together him and Jones so maybe not a surprise. 

Narrow full backs seem to be a tactic of ours.  The opposition have so much space out wide every game we play