OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

South Korea

5 hours ago, windsor dreamland said:

Cant say I am a fan of a 2pm kick-off time on a Saturday either - never again will I park on Boucher Crescent.  took me an hour and a half to get off the Boucher Road on to the motorway :angry:

I made that mistake myself, compounded by the fact my last job of the day was right beside the foot-bridge to WP. I moved the car thinking that Boucher Rd would be easier to get away from.

8 hours ago, dmcc_gfc said:

I actually thought he looked lost for large period, didn't know who his man was a lot of the time. That said, he is young and it was their first together him and Jones so maybe not a surprise. 

Tbf, the Korean RB was excellent getting forward and Lewis didn't get much protection from Jones down that flank.

And I'm sure at H-T, JEvans was told to move a bit wider and help him out, because he and Lewis were clearly doubling up on him (oe whoever else carried the ball down that side)

The one thing that needs to be taken into account with Lewis is that he is a converted winger, his entire youth career was spent playing as a left winger, it has only been in this last year or so that he has been switched to a full back/wing back role at Norwich so the defensive side of his game is going to be a work in progress, at Norwich they sometimes play him as a left back in a back four and others times he plays as a wing back with 3 centre backs.

8 hours ago, exhausted said:

Narrow full backs seem to be a tactic of ours.  The opposition have so much space out wide every game we play 

Too true.

But I think the difference was that normally we're happy for opposition wingers to send in high crosses from out wide, since McAuley, Evans, Hughes etc are so good at dealing with them (even against that 6'6" pile of dung of theirs who was "playing" through the middle).

Whereas the Korean wide players were cutting inside and pulling it back, or playing through passes (eg their goal).

On Saturday, the answer should have been for our wide midfielders to prevent them getting at our FB's in the first place.

But both Ward and Jones (esp) are much better going forward than defending.

I don't think we'd have had the same problem had Dallas, who can play on either flank, been available.

6 hours ago, OWC1958 said:

We defend the width of the box it's really obvious from behind the goal.

Indeed.

Maybe Norwich do it differently?

EDIT: Just seen Rave Dave's earlier comment about Lewis/Norwich - that would make a lot of sense.

When I saw they had Koreas tallest man playing up front I was worried. 

I read that before Saturday, he'd scored seven goals in his previous six games for them, and with that and the look of him (1.98 m), I too was worried. We shouldn't have been.

For his most recent three games were Asian Championship games against Japan, North Korea and China, where he scored three times - their defenders none too big, perhaps?

And before that it was three friendlies at a training camp in Turkey, where he notched four goals against three crap teams - Moldova, Jamaica and Latvia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_national_football_team_results_(2010–19)

Prior to that, he'd scored three times in his first 38 caps! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Shin-wook

55 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Tbf, the Korean RB was excellent getting forward and Lewis didn't get much protection from Jones down that flank.

And I'm sure at H-T, JEvans was told to move a bit wider and help him out, because he and Lewis were clearly doubling up on him (oe whoever else carried the ball down that side)

It was very noticeable as we played out from the back in the second half that McAuley and Evans moved very wide, Lewis and McLaughlin pushed upfield and Norwood was standing deeper than anyone at centre back! Had me worried ?

19 minutes ago, jcd said:

It was very noticeable as we played out from the back in the second half that McAuley and Evans moved very wide, Lewis and McLaughlin pushed upfield and Norwood was standing deeper than anyone at centre back! Had me worried ?

Its the modern way of playing football, your two centre backs split, your fullbacks push up to near the half way line and your deepest lying midfielder drops in between the two centre backs to pick up possession and start your attack, the idea is create triangles which should give the player in possession two options for a pass and make it easier to move the ball around, but it requires players to be good on the ball and be brave with it something which isn't our strong point bar the likes of Saville and Davis.

32 minutes ago, jcd said:

That's true for when we had the ball.

But I'm sure JE was told at H-T to move out wide to cover Lewis when they had the ball and attacked down that side.

33 minutes ago, RaveDave said:

Its the modern way of playing football, your two centre backs split, your fullbacks push up to near the half way line and your deepest lying midfielder drops in between the two centre backs to pick up possession and start your attack, the idea is create triangles which should give the player in possession two options for a pass and make it easier to move the ball around, but it requires players to be good on the ball and be brave with it something which isn't our strong point bar the likes of Saville and Davis.

Thing is, I don't think Norwood even touched the ball while this happened!

3 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

I made that mistake myself, compounded by the fact my last job of the day was right beside the foot-bridge to WP. I moved the car thinking that Boucher Rd would be easier to get away from.

It's beyond me why anyone, other than those with mobility issues, would park on Boucher. Lisburn Road provides much quicker routes to exit the area and there's more options.

For example, I was drinking a pint in my rugby club at 4:30pm and didn't leave my seat in the back row of the Kop until after the final whistle.

We park on Lisburn Road side of stadium even though we have to enter the North stand via Olympia Drive. Much handler for getting out. Having said that the games at the tail end of last year were a nightmare for parking.

10 hours ago, windsor dreamland said:

Cant say I am a fan of a 2pm kick-off time on a Saturday either - never again will I park on Boucher Crescent.  took me an hour and a half to get off the Boucher Road on to the motorway :angry:

Just now, axebelfast said:

S

Just now, axebelfast said:

Sounds like you get up for work about ten minutes before you leave the house haha.

learn to plan my man 

1 hour ago, eightball said:

Having said that the games at the tail end of last year were a nightmare for parking.

Weren't they just. We've given up driving to the games. The train has taken the strain the last few times.

46 minutes ago, Clint said:

Weren't they just. We've given up driving to the games. The train has taken the strain the last few times.

Unfortunately for me that's not really an option. There are no trains from Forestside! :lol: