OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Israel (H) friendly - Sept 11

The take away from last night for me is that we have a few young players coming through who are confident going forward and can play a bit. Thought McNair was very good, particularly with crosses and set pieces - though he is not a RB, he needs to be in the midfield. Lewis and Saville will be in the XI for many years to come. Jones was a bit iffy. Gavin Whyte - again, confident on the ball and wanting to go forward and be direct. No doubt he will feature heavily for us over the next few years.

Couple that with the 21s winning away to Spain (their best ever result?!), the future is f**king bright! :owc:

We could do with a young CB and a young out and out striker (Smyth?) though.

2 hours ago, mervillegawa said:

The take away from last night for me is that we have a few young players coming through who are confident going forward and can play a bit. Thought McNair was very good, particularly with crosses and set pieces - though he is not a RB, he needs to be in the midfield. Lewis and Saville will be in the XI for many years to come. Jones was a bit iffy. Gavin Whyte - again, confident on the ball and wanting to go forward and be direct. No doubt he will feature heavily for us over the next few years.

Couple that with the 21s winning away to Spain (their best ever result?!), the future is f**king bright! :owc:

We could do with a young CB and a young out and out striker (Smyth?) though.

Lavery in the under 21's has the most potential of them all 

Decent enough performance I have to say especially for a friendly (and when you think of the nadir of the Canada debacle it has to be a step in the right direction).

Also a bit of nostalgia for us old buggers as the five of us who sat together last night also all stood together on the 'Kop' in '81 when we qualified for Spain 😃

There could be a few centre backs waiting to step up. Donnelly at Motherwell deserves a chance on the bench if he is playing regularly at club level.  Hall at Brighton who played very well against Spain at shamrock park and Ballard from arsenal. I'm sure there are people on here could give a more educated guess whether any will reach their potential. 

The biggest plus was probably the quality of McNair's set-piece delivery.

The sky is the limit for that guy.

I came home thinking McNair had a poor game. Certainly wasn't as assured on the ball in defensive positions as Lewis on the other side. However, watching the highlights, he fizzed in a few great balls. I wouldn't play him at RB unless it was a real emergency though. At the minute, he's still behind Davis, Norwood and Saville in the midfield pecking order.

I might get to see the highlights, but it looked like their keeper managed a save with the ball somehow rebounding off his foot and him knowing nothing about it. I was at the opposite end of the ground at the rear of the Kop, so didn't have the best view.

Just now, GPJim said:

I might get to see the highlights, but it looked like their keeper managed a save with the ball somehow rebounding off his foot and him knowing nothing about it. I was at the opposite end of the ground at the rear of the Kop, so didn't have the best view.

Washington's effort I think - blocked by a defender about a yard off the line and then deflected away off the keeper after.

1 minute ago, hughes18 said:

Washington's effort I think - blocked by a defender about a yard off the line and then deflected away off the keeper after.

Cheers. Could be it. It didn't look possible, so a deflection might explain it. 

1 hour ago, hughes18 said:

I came home thinking McNair had a poor game. Certainly wasn't as assured on the ball in defensive positions as Lewis on the other side. However, watching the highlights, he fizzed in a few great balls. I wouldn't play him at RB unless it was a real emergency though. At the minute, he's still behind Davis, Norwood and Saville in the midfield pecking order.

Again  different viewpoints but I thought he was very good. He is a good footballer, strong and faster than he looks. He won't dislodge any of the 3 mentioned but we need to try and get him into the team somewhere. Was there a motm announced last night?

1 hour ago, hughes18 said:

He would be in my starting eleven all day long.

1 hour ago, Huntsman88 said:

Sky sports gave it to McNair 

Thanks huntsman-thought he must have been in the running. 

McNair has fantastic athletic potential, if he can bring it all together could be a mainstay for us.

IMO he's the long-term replacement to Davis. A different player admittedly, but has a lot of similar core attributes.