OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Israel (H) friendly - Sept 11

IMHO McNair had a good game, but isn't a right back.

At the minute there are three centre mid places up for grabs, and he's in fourth place.

Competition for places, something we're not really used to, is good though. 

We've never had the problem of competition for places before. Nice problem to have.

Can't see him replacing the current 3 in the middle at the minute. Great back up off the bench to have. Certainly offers more than Corry and I like Corry. McNair is a big strong lad. He needs to impose himself more on games and he'll be a cracking player.

As for him not being a right back I agree. But then I never thought Chrissy Brunt would be one either. Still prefer Conor as rb but he didn't have a great game against Bosnia so Michael probably wanted to assess his back up options. Best to do that in a friendly. 

Paddy was 23 in April, but despite having made his League debut in Sept. 2014, he has still "only" played 53 League games since.

Therefore his priority must be to establish himself in his best position in his club, getting a consistent run of games under his belt.

In the meantime, I'm not persuaded that playing him in a variety of positions and roles for NI is sensible, for all that he is potentially more versatile than most.

Looking to the longer term, I'd actually predict that he could be the successor to Steven Davis - a different style of play, perhaps, using power rather than skill etc, but still the main man in the centre, around whom the rest of the midfield operates.

There's even (dare I say it), a touch of the Roy Keane about him.

1 hour ago, EalingGreen said:

Paddy was 23 in April, but despite having made his League debut in Sept. 2014, he has still "only" played 53 League games since.

Therefore his priority must be to establish himself in his best position in his club, getting a consistent run of games under his belt.

In the meantime, I'm not persuaded that playing him in a variety of positions and roles for NI is sensible, for all that he is potentially more versatile than most.

Looking to the longer term, I'd actually predict that he could be the successor to Steven Davis - a different style of play, perhaps, using power rather than skill etc, but still the main man in the centre, around whom the rest of the midfield operates.

There's even (dare I say it), a touch of the Roy Keane about him.

He's a Centre Back all day long IMO and yes I agree he needs a settled position at club level to establish himself.

1 hour ago, D Coop Ulster said:

He's a Centre Back all day long IMO and yes I agree he needs a settled position at club level to establish himself.

Maybe this particular debate is better had here

1 hour ago, D Coop Ulster said:

But doesn't he see himself as a midfielder?

Played with and know plenty of footballers who thought they where one position and ended up playing elsewhere to much success , again just my opinion.

Some thoughts - McNair was good - how amazing that Dallas didn't hit the floodlights but managed to hit the net - what a dream start for Gavin Whyte with the keeper on the deck and the goal gaping! Alas! We lost to Bosnia & now relegation is threatening. Saville is very mature & confident. Griggs battled well but he is NOT a target man. He needed Laffertt or Boyce alongside him. Michael, take note!9

On 6/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, marksyGAWA said:

Just taken a closer look at the Israeli starting XI from the other night, and there were some interesting selections.

4. Ayid Habshi - Arab Israeli;

13. Taleb Tawatha - Arab Israeli of Bedouin origin, Muslim, has Sudanese citizenship;

2. Eli Dasa - Family is Ethiopian Jewish, hence the dark skin colour;

9. Moanes Dabour - Arab Israeli;

6. Bibras Natkho - interestingly a Circassian Israeli and Sunni Muslim.

That's almost half the team made up of "Uncle Tevyes".

Meanwhile, this article on Arab Israeli footballers makes some interesting points, including:

Another reason why Israeli-Arabs play soccer is for respect and status among their communities. Mustafa explains that in Arab culture in Israel, respect and status are sometimes more important than money. Even so, Israeli-Arab players are underrepresented on the national side. But perhaps the most important reason why many Israeli-Arabs play football is the opportunity to gain the respect of the entire nation, and the promise of being treated as equal to Jews if they perform well on the pitch.

An Israeli-Arab journalist, who asked to remain anonymous, explained that ever since [Moanes] Dabour has become a star in Switzerland, the Israeli media and public have embraced him as one of their own. He explains that Israeli-Arabs don't feel like they are treated equally to Jews, and that playing football is one of the only ways that an Arab can be treated as an equal.

Israeli-Arab players are torn on whether to sing the national anthem because they know that if they do sing it, they will be criticized by the international Arab media, and that if they don't sing it, the local Israeli press will bring forth their own criticisms.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/xyj3xa/will-israel-ruin-a-golden-generation-of-israeli-arab-soccer-stars

And there was me thinking that it was a simple choice between:

Jews = Prods = Good Guys (if you're a Loyalist), or 

Arabs = Taigs = Good Guys (if you're a Shinner) 

:wacko: 

9 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

The Jocks were beaten by Israel tonight. Not great for McLeish.

Scotland must be really, really bad...

But remember when MON took over us, there was a poor campaign followed by a great one. Perhaps Big Eck needs this campaign to build a team. I doubt the sweaties will be prepared to let him continue if they struggle.