Jump to content
OUR WEE COUNTRY
glenn30

Squad v South Korea - new faces

Recommended Posts

Who would you like to see in the squad folks who hasn't played for us or has had little playing time?

 

I say get Lewis and Smyth into the squad for this one instead of waiting till the summer. 

 

We definitely need a young keeper to make a breakthrough, whilst it's admirable that Roy wants to stay in the fold he's 40 years old. I'd like to see Carson finally get his first cap along with the lad peacock-farrell who's played for Leeds recently, the other choice is hazard who is out on loan from Celtic

Cameron dummigan seems to have done ok at Oldham this season and could be a good under study to Conor McLaughlin. I had high hopes for Liam Donnelly but he's stayed at Hartlepool. Might be worth calling Ben Hall into the squad, getting good reports at Notts county. The lad Johnson is a strange one, big clubs looking at him and then he leaves Stevenage for a non league team. 

Midfield, if Goss declares then it's a no brainer, I'd pass on the Scannel's though, no offence to them but I think we have better options. Jones could push Dallas, good options on the left wing now. 

Upfront, I'd have like to have seen young Shayne Lavery get a loan move from Everton to get some first team football. Possibly the same with David Parkhouse although he's only turned 18 recently, probably a bit too early for those 2. A call up for one of the Stevenage lads might not be out of the question, Kennedy and McKee could possibly play at a higher level and even just a call up to the senior squad might help their progress even if they don't get any game time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this-i forgot about a couple of those. I do think it would be great to see loads of new faces in the squad but i do think the upcoming american tour will see all these new faces as our existing squad plus all these new faces would bring it up to 30+ in numbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, glenn30 said:

Who would you like to see in the squad folks who hasn't played for us or has had little playing time?

 

I say get Lewis and Smyth into the squad for this one instead of waiting till the summer. 

 

We definitely need a young keeper to make a breakthrough, whilst it's admirable that Roy wants to stay in the fold he's 40 years old. I'd like to see Carson finally get his first cap along with the lad peacock-farrell who's played for Leeds recently, the other choice is hazard who is out on loan from Celtic

Cameron dummigan seems to have done ok at Oldham this season and could be a good under study to Conor McLaughlin. I had high hopes for Liam Donnelly but he's stayed at Hartlepool. Might be worth calling Ben Hall into the squad, getting good reports at Notts county. The lad Johnson is a strange one, big clubs looking at him and then he leaves Stevenage for a non league team. 

Midfield, if Goss declares then it's a no brainer, I'd pass on the Scannel's though, no offence to them but I think we have better options. Jones could push Dallas, good options on the left wing now. 

Upfront, I'd have like to have seen young Shayne Lavery get a loan move from Everton to get some first team football. Possibly the same with David Parkhouse although he's only turned 18 recently, probably a bit too early for those 2. A call up for one of the Stevenage lads might not be out of the question, Kennedy and McKee could possibly play at a higher level and even just a call up to the senior squad might help their progress even if they don't get any game time 

good post prob still a bit early but would be good to get Jordan Thompson in the squad even for forthcoming tour he certainly has the ability to play at a higher level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There aren't going to be wholesale changes. Cathcart is still out, I think Smyth will be with U21s, Goss maybe not sorted yet. J Thompson, S Lavery etc still a long way off a call-up.

Looking at the 27 named for the Switzerland play-off games, you might get the following changes:

Roy Carroll (Trevor Carson)
Michael McGovern
Alan Mannus

Aaron Hughes
Gareth McAuley
Jonny Evans
Chris Brunt?
Conor McLaughlin
Lee Hodson
Paddy McNair
Daniel Lafferty
Rory McArdle (Jamal Lewis)
Tom Flanagan


Steven Davis
Niall McGinn
Ollie Norwood
Corry Evans
Shane Ferguson
Stuart Dallas
Paul Paton (Liam Boyce)
Matthew Lund
George Saville
Jordan Jones


Kyle Lafferty
Josh Magennis
Jamie Ward
Conor Washington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

There aren't going to be wholesale changes. Cathcart is still out, I think Smyth will be with U21s, Goss maybe not sorted yet. J Thompson, S Lavery etc still a long way off a call-up.

Looking at the 27 named for the Switzerland play-off games, you might get the following changes:

Roy Carroll (Trevor Carson)
Michael McGovern
Alan Mannus

Aaron Hughes
Gareth McAuley
Jonny Evans
Chris Brunt?
Conor McLaughlin
Lee Hodson
Paddy McNair
Daniel Lafferty
Rory McArdle (Jamal Lewis)
Tom Flanagan


Steven Davis
Niall McGinn
Ollie Norwood
Corry Evans
Shane Ferguson
Stuart Dallas
Paul Paton (Liam Boyce)
Matthew Lund
George Saville
Jordan Jones


Kyle Lafferty
Josh Magennis
Jamie Ward
Conor Washington

no Will Grigg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GKS = MCGOVERN, CARSON, PEACOCK-FARRELL

DF= LEWIS, BRUNT, C.MCLAUGHLIN, DUMMIGAN, J.EVANS, MCAULEY, FLANAGAN, MCNAIR, HUGHES

MF= JONES, DALLAS, SAVILLE, C.EVANS, DAVIS, NORWOOD, GOSS, SMYTH, MCGINN

FW= MAGENNIS, LAFFERTY, WASHINGTON, GRIGG

 

Ward still to feature since moving to Cardiff, unsure if injured, Boyce just returned from a long injury lay-off and think this fixture comes too early for him, Lund has dropped down to League one with Bradford on loan and think with Saville and hopefully Goss coming on board will fall down the pecking order.  Ferguson has been injured off late and hardly played for Millwall, Hodson struggling for game time at Rangers and same for D.Lafferty at Sheff Utd. 

 

Hopefully few surprises included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

 Goss maybe not sorted yet.

Other than Goss deciding if he wants to play for us, is there anything that needs sorted? He’s not ‘switching’ is he? Has he played for English underage teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, walker1985 said:

GKS = MCGOVERN, CARSON, PEACOCK-FARRELL

DF= LEWIS, BRUNT, C.MCLAUGHLIN, DUMMIGAN, J.EVANS, MCAULEY, FLANAGAN, MCNAIR, HUGHES

MF= JONES, DALLAS, SAVILLE, C.EVANS, DAVIS, NORWOOD, GOSS, SMYTH, MCGINN

FW= MAGENNIS, LAFFERTY, WASHINGTON, GRIGG

 

Ward still to feature since moving to Cardiff, unsure if injured, Boyce just returned from a long injury lay-off and think this fixture comes too early for him, Lund has dropped down to League one with Bradford on loan and think with Saville and hopefully Goss coming on board will fall down the pecking order.  Ferguson has been injured off late and hardly played for Millwall, Hodson struggling for game time at Rangers and same for D.Lafferty at Sheff Utd. 

 

Hopefully few surprises included.

I'd be surprised if Ferguson, a permanent fixture in O'Neill's squads when fit, is dropped. He's been fit for a few weeks now, just can't get in the Millwall team.

Hodson and D Lafferty are on more on the fringes. There's definitely an argument for Dummigan or Michael Smith being called up ahead of Hodson based on game time this season.

Goss would certainly leapfrog Lund if he's on board.

Fair point about Ward, he's not been involved with Cardiff since Feb 13. Might pave the way for Grigg...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth remembering that the U21s have games at the same time as the senior team. I'd imagine Ian Baraclough will be looking as little disruption to his squad as possible, especially considering they are competitive games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, walker1985 said:

GKS = MCGOVERN, CARSON, PEACOCK-FARRELL

DF= LEWIS, BRUNT, C.MCLAUGHLIN, DUMMIGAN, J.EVANS, MCAULEY, FLANAGAN, MCNAIR, HUGHES

MF= JONES, DALLAS, SAVILLE, C.EVANS, DAVIS, NORWOOD, GOSS, SMYTH, MCGINN

FW= MAGENNIS, LAFFERTY, WASHINGTON, GRIGG

 

Ward still to feature since moving to Cardiff, unsure if injured, Boyce just returned from a long injury lay-off and think this fixture comes too early for him, Lund has dropped down to League one with Bradford on loan and think with Saville and hopefully Goss coming on board will fall down the pecking order.  Ferguson has been injured off late and hardly played for Millwall, Hodson struggling for game time at Rangers and same for D.Lafferty at Sheff Utd. 

 

Hopefully few surprises included.

Might be a bit harsh dropping Mannus, seeing he's playing every week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Worth remembering that the U21s have games at the same time as the senior team. I'd imagine Ian Baraclough will be looking as little disruption to his squad as possible, especially considering they are competitive games.

Agree with this. Playing against Spain U21s is great experience. Our U21 first XI is actually pretty strong right now:

Peacock-Farrell

Dummigan Donnelly Hall Lewis

Gorman Thompson McKee

Smyth Lavery Kennedy

 

Most of that lot playing regular league football.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Agree with this. Playing against Spain U21s is great experience. Our U21 first XI is actually pretty strong right now:

Peacock-Farrell

Dummigan Donnelly Hall Lewis

Gorman Thompson McKee

Smyth Lavery Kennedy

 

Most of that lot playing regular league football.

 

Agree 100%, looks a decent team there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of those possibles from the u21s will stay with the u21s rather than in senior squad. Michael will probably then have the ones up for a training session or something who are likely tofeature in the central America trip when presumably there won't be any u21s games.

 

He may even tell them they will be included in that next squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taz said:

Most of those possibles from the u21s will stay with the u21s rather than in senior squad. Michael will probably then have the ones up for a training session or something who are likely tofeature in the central America trip when presumably there won't be any u21s games.

No U21 games scheduled after this month until the next qualifiers in September.

Purplehaze makes a good point about the make-up of the U21 squad - lads playing competitive men's football, albeit not always at the highest level, is better than a squad full of academy players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will need a new keeper hearing Carroll out for season so to me that's him finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×