OUR WEE COUNTRY
glenn30

Squad v South Korea - new faces

1 hour ago, leo said:

Might be a bit harsh dropping Mannus, seeing he's playing every week?

Absolutely. 

Also he always* turns up and travels with the squad, even though he's not getting much game time - 8 caps in 14 years!

* - Wasn't there a period a few years back when he withdrew? I seem to recall he said it was because it clashed with his Shamrock Rovers schedule (summer season), though it may be that he was simply hacked off by NW/crap results?

yes it would be unfair on Mannus he has to feature with McGovern & Carson

I think Ferguson is injured, maybe Ward too, unlikey Cathcart & McNair will feature against SK either

Peacock's time will come soon

Camps maybe considered or is he in U21's

We don't know how big Michael's squad will be whether it will be 23 or 27 players.

This obviously won't be the squad but if i were picking the squad my 23 man squad would be

Michael McGovern, Trevor Carson, Bailey Peacock-Farrell

Aaron Hughes, Gareth McAuley, Jonny Evans, Chris Brunt, Conor McLaughlin, Tom Flanagan & Jamal Lewis

Steven Davis, Niall McGinn, Ollie Norwood, Corry Evans, Shane Ferguson, Stuart Dallas, George Saville, Jordan Jones & Sean Goss (Hopefully)

Kyle Lafferty, Josh Magennis, Paul Smyth & Conor Washington

In terms of goalkeepers the interesting thing about Bailey is he has never played for our U21's despite the U21's having had a few fixtures since his eligibiilty was discovered maybe Michael sees him as being past that level.

Peacock-Farrell, Smyth, Lewis, Goss and (hopefully) an as yet unnamed other. Add them to the new boys (Saville and Jones) and it could be a very different looking squad. I doubt they'll all be included mind.

7 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

Absolutely. 

Also he always* turns up and travels with the squad, even though he's not getting much game time - 8 caps in 14 years!

* - Wasn't there a period a few years back when he withdrew? I seem to recall he said it was because it clashed with his Shamrock Rovers schedule (summer season), though it may be that he was simply hacked off by NW/crap results?

That was another Worthy masterclass in man management. Mannus was called up for the 2010 summer tour which was in the middle of Rovers' league season. They had a discussion and Worthington apparently assured Mannus that if he withdrew he understood and that it would not harm his international future. He wasn't called up again by Nige.

8 hours ago, green and blue 72 said:

Probably the only one I would call up...and play him.

Totally agree he is our most in form Striker playing regular and scoring , if you look at the other options , Big josh playing at same level scoring the odd one, Kyle doing well at Hearts but in Scottish football, Washington in and out of QPR team, Boyce just coming back from long term injury and Ward not playing at all at present .

Give the guy a run out from the start in next game with him and Lafferty up front.

20 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Agree with this. Playing against Spain U21s is great experience. Our U21 first XI is actually pretty strong right now:

Peacock-Farrell

Dummigan Donnelly Hall Lewis

Gorman Thompson McKee

Smyth Lavery Kennedy

Most of that lot playing regular league football.

Rory Holden from Derry has been getting very positive reviews in Bristol City's U23 team, would hope he is in the squad for the Spain & Iceland double-header.

15 hours ago, CityofLisburn said:

Totally agree he is our most in form Striker playing regular and scoring , if you look at the other options , Big josh playing at same level scoring the odd one, Kyle doing well at Hearts but in Scottish football, Washington in and out of QPR team, Boyce just coming back from long term injury and Ward not playing at all at present .

Give the guy a run out from the start in next game with him and Lafferty up front.

It's amazing how many goals you score when you know where the net is.

I'd be very surprised if grigg is called up, Wigan have a massive backlog of fixtures which could get worse after the fa cup game on Sunday and can't see Paul cook wanting to lose him for 2 league games if he'll just be on the bench 

That's a good point before every man and his dog start lamenting his omission (if he' not in) and blaming it all on MO'N or saying that Grigg has thrown the toys out of the pram...

No Brunt. Conor Hazard and Trevor Carson in. No Mannus or BPF. Cathcart, Boyce and Lewis in, no Smyth or Grigg.

Trevor Carson
Michael McGovern
Conor Hazard

Aaron Hughes
Gareth McAuley
Jonny Evans
Craig Cathcart
Conor McLaughlin
Lee Hodson
Paddy McNair
Jamal Lewis

Steven Davis