OUR WEE COUNTRY
glenn30

Squad v South Korea - new faces

So after all the speculation over the last few months there are no players new to the NI scene in the squad, you can only assume Goss and whoever else was approached wants more time to make a decision or has turned us down.. disappointing.

1 hour ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Insert Will Grigg absence comment below....

Will Grigg’s fire has officially been extinguished

3 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

Don't forget Cathcart. And the boy McNair could fill in, at a push. We'll be fine.

Smyth has already spent time with the senior squad. And even capping him against S.Korea would not tie him. More to the point, Michael is not the sort to hold out senior caps solely to try to influence a player unduly - he'll place the player where he thinks best.

On which point, involving him in two important NI U-21 games is the best place for him and the team, esp since he'll hardly be too far (physically) from the senior team anyway.

Sorry we cannot rely on cathcart due to injuries. Next year mcnair if fit will be another in the 3rd division. 

I know capping smyth in a friendly will not tie him but i would like to see him involved with the seniors instead of playing infront of 100 people with the 21s. If he feels he should be in the seniors it may make his decision for him. 

Must say i am please with the squad  with the exception of Will Grigg missing again  and Brunt . Lewis is new and an exciting prospect  and hopefully however are the players MON was hinting at will make up their mind in time for the forthcoming tour. TBF to MON he has always been loyal to his players so i wasn't really expecting a big change in personel. Manus you would think has probably think has gone now.

Will grigg was never gonna be selected for this game as hell miss 2 Wigan games and may not even have featured. If he's not in the squad for the summer tour then that would probably mean end if his international career under oneil 

I just got a chance to watch the press conference, Michael mentioned in it that he was going to start rotating his three young goalkeepers between being in the senior squad and the U21's, he said this time Conor Hazard is getting called up to the senior squad but will rotate with Conor Mitchell & Bailey P-F moving forward, so it looks like Bailey will be in the U21's this time. He also mentioned that for the first time in along time the U21's will be in Belfast at the same time as the seniors so there may be some movement between the squads.

Happy to see Carson there, squad bit of a let down after the speculation of Goss etc.

I would say Brunt & Mannus have all but retired, Lewis Brunt's ideal replacement,  Is Jordan Jones not injured? unsure if we'll see Grigg again

So many either out of favour or injured: Davis, Cathcart, McNair, Norwood, Ferguson, Ward, Where is Flanagan?

How Hodson & Corry Evans deserve a place is beyond me

I’m not reading too much into Grigg’s omission. As a club player this is a crucial part of the season for him. I wouldn’t rule out Wigan getting past the Saints in the FA Cup either which would be a massive accomplishment for them. Again for the end of season tour many more established players are absent.

I suppose the questions revolve around Brunt, Smyth, Goss and Grigg.

I'd be surprised, and disappointed, if Brunt isn't back in September.

Smyth being in the U21's is no surprise. Michael hinted at that all along. He'll be on the plane to Central America.

Goss, understandably enough, is probably mulling it over. Fair enough. Fingers crossed he makes the right choice.

Grigg, not for the first time, is out because his club has important games. It would be ludicrous of us to call him up under the circs.

Don't forget that Goss' involvement is pure speculation on here. There may be something going on behind the scenes but there may not.

27 minutes ago, richboy said:

Don't forget that Goss' involvement is pure speculation on here.

It made the press too. It seems clear that he qualifies OK.

8 hours ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

OKUBlUm.png

Can you not count the Carabao Cup? Poor McGoven is sitting on a duck otherwise and that would bring him up to 1. Have a heart man.

6 hours ago, RaveDave said:

Michael mentioned in it that he was going to start rotating his three young goalkeepers between being in the senior squad and the U21's, he said this time Conor Hazard is getting called up to the senior squad but will rotate with Conor Mitchell & Bailey P-F moving forward, so it looks like Bailey will be in the U21's this time. 

Remember that the 3rd gk won't ever get any game time vs S.Korea (barring pre-match injury). Therefore the U-21's is better for BPF than the senior squad, esp if he's 1st choice at that level. Meanwhile, I'd guess Hazard is presently still only 5th or 6th choice gk (at best), so a chance to meet up with the senior guys and impress Michael is a plus for him.

6 hours ago, chopper1 said:

I would say Brunt & Mannus have all but retired,

Brunt, possibly, but not necessarily Mannus. McGovern is still likely 1st choice and presumably Michael wants a look at Carson. Therefore maybe he agreed with Mannus that he needn't travel - again - only not to get a game?

Is Jordan Jones not injured?

Yeah, but apparently only minor.

Where is Flanagan?

Only made his return after injury on Saturday. Maybe Michael is worried about overloading him with an unwanted, relatively unimportant game? As for his club manager, Clough will be worried enough in case Boyce gets injured, without TF also - I mean, they're in a desperate struggle against relegation.

How Hodson & Cory Evans deserve a place is beyond me

Hodson is only a squad player, who's also versatile, but yeah, a strange one. I guess all managers have their favourites.

But I don't know how you can dismiss Corey Evans so easily. He's 27, has over 250 senior games under his belt, mostly at a decent level, plus 34 caps. 

That sort of experience is hugely important (imo), especially if you're also going to throw in untried youngsters.