OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Squad v Bosnia (and Israel)

17 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

MON is weighing the huge experience/ 'muscle memory' of most of those above against the potential of the u-21 guys. Most or all of Smyth, Whyte, Thompson, Lavery etc. should be back at some point next year. But McAuley especially is a big risk

Except that you can only start with 11 (who basically pick themselves).

Thereafter it's a choice between experience or youth to make up the numbers in the squad. Michael has gone for the former, presumably on the basis that he wants/needs to get the campaign off to a winning start. 

The youngsters will get their chance, possibly even as early as v Israel?

EDIT: Just seen Hughes18's (very pertinent) post about the U-21 game v Spain.

If Hughes plays, it'll be his 22nd successive season of senior international football. Unbelievable really

Wow!

30 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

Does it? Two guys about to turn 39, one who doesn't have a club. The most experienced keeper hasn't played a club League game since April 2017, others (Ward, McLoughlin) were rarely seen in the latter half of last season. Even the skipper's out of favor at Saints...

MON is weighing the huge experience/ 'muscle memory' of most of those above against the potential of the u-21 guys. Most or all of Smyth, Whyte, Thompson, Lavery etc. should be back at some point next year. But McAuley especially is a big risk

If Hughes plays, it'll be his 22nd successive season of senior international football. Unbelievable really

The only one I would really have any worries about not being in the side is Smyth, but we are well covered for forwards.....  As for the two guys almost 39, if they aren't called up, what defenders do we have to replace them? 

27 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Except that you can only start with 11 (who basically pick themselves)

Certain to play if fit:  J Evans, Cathcart, Davis, Norwood

Probable:  Dallas, Saville

50/50: McLaughlin, Hughes; Lewis, Ferguson; Lafferty, Magennis

1 of 3 keepers

1 of Ward, Jones, McGinn

Unquantifiable risk: McAuley

Bench: Smith, C Evans, McNair, Grigg, Boyce, Washington

U21s away to Spain is great experience for those lads so can understand that. Exception is Jamal Lewis as he's the best option at LB.

Great to see Grigg back but it's difficult to give all the strikers game time over 2 games (even when one is a friendly).

Beyond J.Evans & Cathcart, we are suddenly a bit thin at centre half (love Big G & Hughes but they're each nearly 39).

2 minutes ago, taytobowl said:

As for the two guys almost 39, if they aren't called up, what defenders do we have to replace them? 

McCullough (went on Mosquito Coast tour), Flanagan, Liam Donnelly? None of them may ever make it, but we won't know until they're tried etc.

Apart from the risk of playing a very rusty McAuley, what's the point of him or Hughes in another friendly?

5 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

Certain to play if fit:  J Evans, Cathcart, Davis, Norwood

Probable:  Dallas, Saville

50/50: McLaughlin, Hughes; Lewis, Ferguson; Lafferty, Magennis

1 of 3 keepers

1 of Ward, Jones, McGinn

Unquantifiable risk: McAuley

Bench: Smith, C Evans, McNair, Grigg, Boyce

Whichever 11 he starts with, none of those four you named (Smyth, Whyte, Thompson, Lavery  etc) would be likely to get a game v Bosnia, even from the bench.

Better to leave them with the U-21's for now (imo)

My point above was that 9, 10, or 11 players as automatic picks isn't ideal, although 4 or 5 is probably too few. A mix of continuity with competition for places

5 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

McCullough (went on Mosquito Coast tour), Flanagan, Liam Donnelly? None of them may ever make it, but we won't know until they're tried etc.

Apart from the risk of playing a very rusty McAuley, what's the point of him or Hughes in another friendly?

Flanagan is injured, Luke McCullough doesn't seem to be of an acceptable standard for a newly promoted League 1 side, Donnelly maybe in time, but he has never played at a level above league 2, hopefully he can get his career on track at Motherwell.

15 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

McCullough (24) has played 10 mins this season for a second-string Doncaster team, followed by his League Two debut on Tuesday for (newly promoted) Tranmere.

Flanagan (26) hasn't yet played for Sunderland (Lge One). Neither fits your criterion of new, young players etc - I mean, Michael has already had a good look at both, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Donnelly is already 22, has had plenty of exposure at U-21 level, but is going nowhere.

Should Big G get a club, then he and AH can both justify a place on the bench for these autumn Europa League games, which are important.

When the Euro2020 Qualifiers come round next March, then I'm sure Michael will review the situation along the lines you suggest.

But in the meantime, "One game at a time" should be our plan (imo).

Time flies when you're 38 3/4 (if I r emember correctly ;) )

30 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

McCullough (24) has played 10 mins this season for a second-string Doncaster team, followed by his League Two debut on Tuesday for (newly promoted) Tranmere.

Flanagan (26) hasn't yet played for Sunderland (Lge One). Neither fits your criterion of new, young players etc - I mean, Michael has already had a good look at both, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Donnelly is already 22, has had plenty of exposure at U-21 level, but is going nowhere.

Should Big G get a club, then he and AH can both justify a place on the bench for these autumn Europa League games, which are important.

When the Euro2020 Qualifiers come round next March, then I'm sure Michael will review the situation along the lines you suggest.

But in the meantime, "One game at a time" should be our plan (imo).

What about young Ben Hall?  high hope for him.

squad much as expected great to see Grigg and Smith in

Thought Hughes was injured maybe not?

Big gamble with Ward, McAuley, Dallas and Davis not having played in a good while

certainly Whyte is not far off the squad as is Smyth but the U21's game of more importance for them

15 minutes ago, Norniron1989 said:

What about young Ben Hall?  high hope for him.

Currently not making the bench on loan at Notts County in League Two, although apparently he has a groin strain.

I can see the logic in whyte and smyth staying with the under 21s otherwise no real surprises.