OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Squad v Bosnia (and Israel)

Would love to see a Lafferty /Grigg partnership evolve, two players who are in good form so I hope Michael tries it..... you never know. 

3 minutes ago, RichardM said:

Would love to see a Lafferty /Grigg partnership evolve, two players who are in good form so I hope Michael tries it..... you never know. 

Bosnia no chance but maybe in the friendly. 

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Bosnia no chance but maybe in the friendly. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he sent a few of the senior/older players back to their clubs after the Bosnia game, even if they could play against Israel.

It's never a good idea to antagonise club managers any more than is strictly necessary. 

Just noticed from this weekend, some of the players not making the team at their clubs included J Evans, Davis, Norwood, Ward & Mcginn of the top of my head. Slight concern that but hoping they can fight their way back in, in the coming weeks.

6 minutes ago, DerekNI said:

Just noticed from this weekend, some of the players not making the team at their clubs included J Evans, Davis, Norwood, Ward & Mcginn of the top of my head. Slight concern that but hoping they can fight their way back in, in the coming weeks.

Norwood did play the full 90 mins for Sheff utd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45229934

6 hours ago, RichardM said:

would be great to see maybe more likely in an experimental friendly though

On 23/08/2018 at 1:52 PM, taytobowl said:

Flanagan is injured, Luke McCullough doesn't seem to be of an acceptable standard for a newly promoted League 1 side, Donnelly maybe in time, but he has never played at a level above league 2, hopefully he can get his career on track at Motherwell.

Donnelly played in Motherwell's 1st game but I don't think he's featured since then. Mot sure if he's injured or if Robinson has decided that he has better defenders at the club - he brought a centre back in on loan

On 8/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, EalingGreen said:

Donnelly is already 22, has had plenty of exposure at U-21 level, but is going nowhere.

Bit harsh? Could argue that he's already more experienced than Stephen Craigan was at that age. Can't really compare Donnelly's ability with Craigan's (retrospectively), mind.

Squad appearances in League games to date (sorted by club division)

Kn1TWRu.png

source: Soccerbase

Laffs is a dead cert to start this one. Hopefully he keeps his head. Big Josh to partner him, with Will Grigg to join the fray if we are chasing something. BPF to start and Gavin Whyte to cameo late on. Get into them! I’m actually missing this one - I think the third home game I will have missed sine the Euro 96 campaign and I’m regretting it now. 

Would actually like to See Lafferty + Grigg initially. 

The BBC's guy is probably guessing, though he may just have got a wee "headsup" from Michael about (most of) the team:

"Central defender Craig Cathcart is assured of a starting role...

He will most likely be partnered by Leicester City's Evans, with Jamal Lewis handed the opportunity to stake a claim for the left-back berth...

Conor McLaughlin is likely to start at right-back, with Davis, George Saville and Oliver Norwood set to be restored in midfield after missing the summer tour to Central America.

Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones may be handed a chance to impress, while Gavin Whyte hopes for a first senior cap and Stuart Dallas will hope to feature despite a lack of game-time for Leeds."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45379626

Obviously he's not so sure about goalkeeper and strikers (or Michael may not have made his final choice there).

Starting XI v Israel could be interesting, esp the defence. Who would be the 2 or 3 centre backs?

Previous media reports this week (eg BBC) hint strongly at BPF starting against Bosnia