OUR WEE COUNTRY
exhausted

Post mortem

What kick in the bollocks that was.

I thought we were brilliant. I really can't remember us dominating a match, against a team of that supposed standard, in a hell of a long time. If ever actually.

The three in central midfield really caught the eye. Olly Norwood, in particular, was a cut above.

We lost because of a couple of careless moments, an inability to open up a decent defence/goalie, and simple old bad luck.

30 minutes ago, two nil said:

Is it time to move on from Kyle Lafferty, in an over all good team performance he was clearly not at it today, always falling over or fouling, not a single effort on goal

Pretty sure he nearly scored at the back post, probably should have..., but keeper made a good save

27 minutes ago, matt said:

Struggling to remember a game we dominated like that. Even the Faroes, Malta and Litchenstein had much more even stats! Incredible we lost. 

Positives

Lewis and Dallas had a great understanding and caused real issues down that flank, often with a wee overlap between them that left Bosnia in pieces. Only end product was less effective.

McGinn was sharp and caused issues down other flank

Saville, Norwood and Davis oozed quality all through the match

Boyce and Grigg showed they are capable of causing issues

Atmosphere was decent thought between the Bosnians with their tops off, and half our support wearing jeans so tight they must have been sprayed on, I thought i had stumbled into a pride parade at times. 

Negatives

Lafferty was appalling. For someone so tall I`ve never seen someone so poor in the air. Ironically when Boyce came on (who can actually manage to head) the decision was made to take all corners short!

Peackcock was rather average but give him time I guess. Aside from mistake with goal his distribution as poor. Couple of decent saves mind you.

Bizarrely it was a pleasing performance. We created so much it was a joy to see at time. 

Don't think the keeper was at fault for the goal. Cathcart didn't get enough on the header and left him stranded 

Gutted we didn't pinch a last minute 2-2.

If we had been playing like that in a lot of previous matches, we'd have won games 2-0 to 4-0. They spent about 1 minute in our penalty box in the whole match yet scored 2 and hit the post. That's football but it seems crazy for us to dominate a game for once and have nothing to show.

Saville penalty first minute was another what if. If we had got the penalty and scored that, I think we could have gone on to be 3-0 up by half time.

I don't fear them away, however looking at the way the next matches fall - if Bosnia-Herzegovina beat Austria on Tuesday, they'll be 6 points clear of the other two teams already, meaning if we draw with Austria next month, Bosnia would only need a point v. us to win the group.

FInally, Will Grigg needs to start against Israel.

Why was Grigg not on from the start? Why did we persist in lofting high balls for Lafferty when it was clear that the Bosnians had him sussed? We dominated the game and lost. Disgraceful! i was reminded of the old days in the nineties when Danny Wilson and Kingsley Black flattered to deceive in many a home defeat. Another debacle like this and I will be posting, 'Michael must go!'

Also why are our full backs always so narrow when we are defending? I'm assuming the wide players should be covering that space but we seen to concede from wide positions and the ball being cut back or crossed in low an awful lot

1 hour ago, Blanch Flowers said:

Why was Grigg not on from the start? Why did we persist in lofting high balls for Lafferty when it was clear that the Bosnians had him sussed? We dominated the game and lost. Disgraceful! i was reminded of the old days in the nineties when Danny Wilson and Kingsley Black flattered to deceive in many a home defeat. Another debacle like this and I will be posting, 'Michael must go!'

The parts in bold are simply ridiculous, i really don't think you have been watching us from the Kingsley Black days and all that we have went through since then, if you want rid of Michael O'Neill, utter madness.

Was Kingsley Black ever good enough to "flatter to deceive"? 

4 hours ago, Villa Mike said:

17 corners and no return... the one we actually put in the box at the end, we scored from. I was losing my mind with the short corners. The nadir being when someone took one short to Cathcart to cross in..

The short corners didn't work but it was clear a decision was made that the Bosnians were big lads and we weren't going to have any joy just whipping it in.  But clearly we should have put a few more in.  Mcauleys threat was missed.

Can't really criticise the team, thought they were excellent for much of the game and played some great stuff. Got in a lot of great positions and created plenty of half chances.  Admittedly we failed to create many great chances.  

Bosnians were a big solid stubborn team at the back, with us dominating possession it really feels likes roles reversal compared to normal.

big Kyle hadn't a great game.  Feels like with the promising situations we were creating we could have done with abit of Grigg poaching earlier on.

Bailey-Peacock will be disappointed, poor clearance for the 1st goal and beaten to the ball for the 2nd goal. 

Ah well, on most other days we'd have won that game.  We've done what Bosnia did to us today on plenty of other teams over the years.

decent atmosphere. Hope the ladies in the dressing gowns evacuated from the Olympia leisure centre enjoyed the attention of a few thousand football fans 😀

2 hours ago, Blanch Flowers said:

i was reminded of the old days in the nineties when Danny Wilson and Kingsley Black flattered to deceive in many a home defeat.

It was nothing like that.

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

Was Kingsley Black ever good enough to "flatter to deceive"? 

Aye, for Luton.

18 minutes ago, Clint said:

It was nothing like that.

Aye, for Luton.

😀

8 hours ago, Ernie said:

I always thought Boyce was a pudding and I nothing today makes me change that opinion. Why nearly every time is Dallas's final pass very poor?

Agree on Dallas. Think he'll get a lot of good reviews for his performance, but the final ball was very, very poor by and large.

Only just seen the highlights there so a few extra thoughts. 

Cathcart could have cut out the cross for the first goal. McLaughlin didn't do enough to stop the cross though .

That was as clear a penalty as you will ever see on Seville and the official behind the goal was looking right at it.

The assist from Boyce for the goal was better than I originally thought . Picked Grigg out.

The miss from Dallas was the worst of the day.

Ref bottled the Penalty just like for the red card in the Swiss game. So what that it’s in the first minute - it was a penalty - just take an extra second to think it through then give it.

i noticed an odd thing in the 2nd half too - when the Ref changed his mind from Bye Ball to corner, the resulting header appeared to come off the top of a Bosnian head on its way out - The ref signalled bye-ball but I was looking at the linesman and he was stood there waiting to see what the ref would signal and only then signalled bye ball. I presume he had seen the same thing I had seen but didn’t want to change the Refs mind twice in succession. It was a minor point but weak officiating like that has cost us a couple of times now.

As for the team, it was the best interplay I have ever seen by Northern Ireland. Liked Lewis a lot and Saville looks so solid. As for the keeper, neither were complete howlers by him, maybe just inexperience on his part. I’d be happy to see him play against Israel to get his confidence back. I’m thinking of McGovern’s mistake against Hungary - he recovered immediately and was sensational against Germany in France.

Having possession is no use if we dont do anything with it. We spent too much time passing across the back line without penetration. Bosnia were more than happy with this.

Lewis I thought had a good game as did Dallas for his effort - admittedly some balls in were not great but he played well. Good to see Grigg get on and score. Laffs looked tired and returned to falling over when challenged. Ref didnt buy it though.

The young keeper will be disappointed but we must not forget the stunning stop he made in the first half, having had nothing to do for yonks and then a deflected ball and a reaction stop.

Should have been out of sight in the first half but thats OWC for you!

As an aside, total bellend who chucked a bottle in the Kop. Who did he think he was trying to hit - women, kids, Northern Ireland fans? No place for you at the games. Dont drink on an empty head!!