OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Post mortem

McGinn and Dallas were good when the initially got the ball. However, their crossing/decision making was abysmal. Too many crosses from too close to the touchline - led to big looping crosses that most goalkeepers would catch in their sleep.

Lafferty got very isolated at times. Davis tried to get closer but it wasn't working.

BPF had a decent enough outing. Very nervy kick for the first goal, could have shanked it out wide instead of right down to the middle of the pitch.

On a minor point - it was very disappointing to see the ground nowhere near capacity for what was and could turn out to be a very important game not only in the Nations League but for seedings going forward. An entire block of the South Stand empty. I dare say once Germany or Spain return we will have the old 'the stadium is too small' nonsense.

26 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

I dare say once Germany or Spain return we will have the old 'the stadium is too small' nonsense.

You have to remember the "unattractive opposition" LBL... plus if we had another 7,000 seats there we could bring the price way down and more people would come.  Or something.

Image result for field of dreams

43 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

M what was and could turn out to be a very important game not only in the Nations League but for seedings going forward

We'll be seeded third in the Xmas draw if we finish below Bosnia and Austria, second otherwise

Realistically  however we would still make the play-offs even after stiffing in the 'main' qualifiers after Xmas- the new system will reward past not current performance.

33 minutes ago, Villa Mike said:

You have to remember the "unattractive opposition" LBL... plus if we had another 7,000 seats there we could bring the price way down and more people would come.  Or something.

Image result for field of dreams

?

6 hours ago, ULSTERHEARTS said:

I think that was the most frustrating game I have watched in a long time. We were really solid in the middle and had loads of the ball but really did nothing with it.

What disappointed me most was the ease at which they scored, teams much better than that have battered us for 90 mins and never scored. They had 2 chances and scored twice.

Overall I find it hard to criticise the team too much as they played some of the best football I've ever seen us play and they ran themselves into the ground.  But I agree, abit worrying we couldn't create more clear cut chances despite being so on top and equally worrying the opponents scored twice when they'd so few chances/possession.

6 hours ago, hughes18 said:

FFS I wouldn't be giving him that as a nickname any time soon.

?

2 hours ago, lisbellawloyal said:

On a minor point - it was very disappointing to see the ground nowhere near capacity for what was and could turn out to be a very important game not only in the Nations League but for seedings going forward. An entire block of the South Stand empty. I dare say once Germany or Spain return we will have the old 'the stadium is too small' nonsense.

Wait til you see tomorrow night! 

I looked at ticketmaster on Friday and thought it was heading to a sell out but there was quite a few empty seats.  I'm hearing plenty of talk about pricing.  Think the IFA need to be careful not to get carried away with what they can charge.

Most people at the match seemed up for the match, atmosphere was decent, but its clear a section of our supporters concluded the Nations Cup was a glorified friendly.

Can’t decide if BPF could have done better on the 2nd goal but it was an awful mistake from Cathcart which put him in trouble.  

The first goal I think Lewis has let his man run past and is the main culprit. It’s fine to say McLaughlin should block the cross but wingers inevitably get a few crosses past the fullback so to have 3 defenders standing still was poor.

Bizarre how dominant we were - reminded me a bit of the 1-1 v Azerbaijan a few years ago, the ball just wouldn’t go in the net it seemed. 

I actually thought Kyle Lafferty was pretty effective in the first half hour - he was a key part of the high pressing but faded. You’d expect him to score his backpost chance in the 2nd half normally- was a strange day I guess!  I suppose there is a reason that our players are mainly Championship players - if Dallas made the right pass regularly he’d be playing at a higher level rather than warming the bench

1 hour ago, No Use For A Name said:

Can’t decide if BPF could have done better on the 2nd goal but it was an awful mistake from Cathcart which put him in trouble.

Did BPF call for it, or tell Cathcart to clear it? 

2 minutes ago, GPJim said:

He pointed at his head which I assume means head it back but he didn't get enough on it so I would say cathcart is more at fault although both could have done better 

3 minutes ago, exhausted said:

He pointed at his head which I assume means head it back but he didn't get enough on it so I would say cathcart is more at fault although both could have done better 

That's what I'm thinking might have happened having seen it, but can't be sure. If that's the case, it's a poor call imho.

30 minutes ago, GPJim said:

Looked to me on the highlights he was telling him to clear it.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, exhausted said:

How did he get a bottle in? Eventsec are very quick to take cartons of juice etc off little kids but every game there are people bringing in glass bottles. 

Also on another security related topic, the last few matches the away fans seem to be scattered around the ground. Any reason for this?

I was in the South stand and when walking out saw 5 bottles of Buckfast sitting under a couple of seats. I'm sure others have seen the same thing, don't know how you can stop that. I guess they put them in an area of their person that security will not touch, lol Talking to people like this will certainly not stop them bring the bottles in.

As soon as BPF was running out to that situation my first thought was don't touch the player as he will go down and may have made up the ref,s mind to send BPD off. Having said that a more experienced keeper may well have done a bit better. The lad is still learning and will make more mistakes as he learns the game. I think/Hope he will be our keeper for a long time to come. For me it was definitely Cathcarts weak header that was the main reason for that goal.

47 minutes ago, green port said:

I was in the South stand and when walking out saw 5 bottles of Buckfast sitting under a couple of seats. I'm sure others have seen the same thing, don't know how you can stop that. I guess they put them in an area of their person that security will not touch, lol Talking to people like this will certainly not stop them bring the bottles in.

Can you bring suitcases into the ground?    a guy about 5 rows behind me had a small hand luggage type case.   Seemed to be on his own ..looked a bit suspicious but maybe that's just me being paranoid !! 

General play was good and the midfield three I thought put in a good shift but with both wingers hugging the touchlines and nobody from midfield getting far enough forward to support Lafferty it was all a bit predictable and the big Bosnian defenders hoovered it up.  

It needed Saville or Davis to get into the box more often or someone like Jones or Ward running with the ball, cutting in towards the box and causing problems.  I understand the need to stretch play but if you've nobody bombing into the gaps created, what's the point.

Crosses weren't working so what do we do, keep crossing it.  Bit disappointed by a lack of Plan B.

17 hours ago, No Use For A Name said:

The first goal I think Lewis has let his man run past and is the main culprit. It’s fine to say McLaughlin should block the cross but wingers inevitably get a few crosses past the fullback so to have 3 defenders standing still was poor.

Bizarre how dominant we were - reminded me a bit of the 1-1 v Azerbaijan a few years ago, the ball just wouldn’t go in the net it seemed. 

I actually thought Kyle Lafferty was pretty effective in the first half hour - he was a key part of the high pressing but faded. You’d expect him to score his backpost chance in the 2nd half normally- was a strange day I guess!  I suppose there is a reason that our players are mainly Championship players - if Dallas made the right pass regularly he’d be playing at a higher level rather than warming the bench

I rewatched the highlights last night and reckon they were both at fault.. BPF seemed to signal to his ear before going to the ball, I'm guessing he didn't get a call from Cathcart that the ball was going to be headed in his direction. 

But his movement towards the ball was a bit strange, it seemed to go past him a bit too easy? I don't think the distance was too great for him to dash quicker to the ball and get hands on it, or hoof it clear. Just looked like a breakdown in communication and bit of blame-game, instead of taking charge of getting the ball safe. That said, he's still fairly inexperienced and should be given a chance to show his worth.

Funnily enough I was thinking about how this match reminded me of that Azerbaijan game, which I think also had Lafferty up top on his own initially. When we play a possession based game, he just doesn't look as effective as a lone striker. He doesn't get into the right spaces to have the ball played into his feet, maybe because he attracts tighter marking because of his size. If MON is going to push for us having the ball more, he needs to consider either two strikers, or starting with one that is better with back to goal (Boyce?). That would then also give the likes of Dallas better options, instead of just skinning a full back and putting a cross into a deserted box.