OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

Only two months away now, may as well have a thread of its own. I realise there's a lot of apathy about this fixture but some ticket/travel news would be welcome in the next couple of weeks for those of us intending to go. Flight from Manchester to Dublin on the Thursday lunchtime was only £13 so can't complain.

Rumours of more tickets being released next week for Austria, they'll likely only do one thing at a time and ignore the RoI game for now. 

I hadn't planned to go to this, but I might be able to now.

Will keep my eye out for details.

Will they issue priority points for this fixture? I don't want anything to do with it (and neither should the IFA), and I would hate to lose out on a ticket for an away qualifier because I didn't go to a "friendly" against that lot.

I'm tempted to head down but from conversations I've had with the people I sit with and other block bookers I know and there's no huge interest in the match. 

Not sure if that's representative of the support or my circle of friends are getting old or boring!

1 hour ago, Tarabonga said:

Will they issue priority points for this fixture?

Yes 1 loyalty point for this match

6 hours ago, distillery_till_i_die said:

The IFA are sending out expression of interest forms for Republic game next month.

A month before it?  Sounds a bit close for comfort that.

Are we thinking it will be only be official busses down and get your ticket as you get on the bus?

I genuinely couldn't be arsed with this but there will be plenty who want to go I reckon 

I'll be going, and potentially with a Republic supporting mate (parting ways at the stadium entrance obviously!).

4 hours ago, Tarabonga said:

Will they issue priority points for this fixture? I don't want anything to do with it (and neither should the IFA), and I would hate to lose out on a ticket for an away qualifier because I didn't go to a "friendly" against that lot.

Agree with this. Also if there was anyway we could be treated as human beings and allowed to attend it as any other away game, i might have been tempted.

I can see both arguments, for going and not. I fundamentally agree that with close to 200 countries worldwide, why would we play a federation that openly and unapologetically poaches our players? Add in the political dimension and the case not to go is clear and very understandable.

That said, I have gone to countries that I would never dream of, and couldn't have easily found on a map, to support OWC (Azerbaijan), and others have travelled further this year to Costa Rica and Panama. From a travel perspective, ROI is easy to get to, and from a football point of view, I would like to see how we measure up, especially on their patch. I know that if we got a result, friendly or not, and I was on the sofa at home, I wouldn't easily forgive myself.

So for those reasons, or perhaps despite them, I'm going. The opposition is unimportant to an extent, it's supporting my team and country that matters.

:flag: