OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

Martin O'Neill in his presser for this game below;  I'm too young to recall, but did Martin get abuse in his early days? 

O'Neill added that he struggled to initially win over the crowd at Windsor Park during the early part of his international career which began in 1971.

"I had to battle through my early days there," said O'Neill.

"There were tough matches with the crowd not accepting me at Windsor Park and things like that but you battle through it.

"I came through it and it was great."

20 minutes ago, dana82 said:

Martin O'Neill in his presser for this game below;  I'm too young to recall, but did Martin get abuse in his early days? 

O'Neill added that he struggled to initially win over the crowd at Windsor Park during the early part of his international career which began in 1971.

"There were tough matches with the crowd not accepting me at Windsor Park and things like that but you battle through it.

Too young myself but its not the first time he said this.  Hughes18 has said on another thread he added something along the line of "maybe it was because I was playing crap" but from his overall comments its clearly being interpreted that he meant he wasn't accepted initially because of his background.

If its true you cant criticise him too much for saying it but not sure its overly helpful going down this route ahead of the next weeks match.

There's also this at the end which really has nothing to do with what the PFAI were talking about. Also, the way it is written, you'd think Lennon was constantly getting death threats whilst playing for NI. Not that I'm playing down his death threats by the way.

In a further development, the Show Racism the Red Card organisation, in conjunction with the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland, has called for investigations into "anti-Irish" abuse aimed at McClean and Hibernian manager Neil Lennon, who received death threats during his Northern Ireland career.

3 minutes ago, richboy said:

There's also this at the end which really has nothing to do with what the PFAI were talking about. Also, the way it is written, you'd think Lennon was constantly getting death threats whilst playing for NI. Not that I'm playing down his death threats by the way.

I read that too. Typical of BBC Ireland bias opinion 

I don't want to sidetrack this topic, but surely McClean and Lennon are getting abuse for acting like w***ers, not because they are Irish Catholics?

Are SRtRC saying that because they are Irish Catholics they should be exempt from abuse no matter how they act?

Act like a c**t, get treated like a c**t. No matter what your background is.

I would genuinely like to hear if other Irish players or managers are experiencing any problems in GB, more specifically outside of Scotland.

With the annual 'poor oppressed McClean' situation - I can't see our support coming out of this fixture untarnished.

No idea why the IFA thought this would be a good idea.

Yes, I'm not looking forward to this, or the aftermath, although I am looking forward to beating them (which I believe we will).

Regarding Lennon, am I blind or is he not as big a dick as everyone paints him out to be? He's obviously no angel, but I don't get the hatred towards him.

Gavin Whyte
Paul Smyth
Liam Boyce

All called up according to their clubs.

Liam Donnelly supposedly also being called up.

31 minutes ago, richboy said:

Regarding Lennon, am I blind or is he not as big a dick as everyone paints him out to be? He's obviously no angel, but I don't get the hatred towards him.

He's a big Celtic man who doesn't hide the fact he hates Rangers so Rangers fans obviously hate him.  Also doesn't "rise above it" and gives it back to the fans.  The sort of person you love him if he's playing for you but rival fans hate him.

From a purely NI POV he has said some dodgy things which would mean I'd be wary of him but overall he doesn't deserve our hatred/abuse.

1 hour ago, richboy said:

Yes, I'm not looking forward to this, or the aftermath, although I am looking forward to beating them (which I believe we will).

I've never really got it either, eg otherwise sensible people will discuss him in the same terms as James McClean....no way! It's an Old Firm thing, as Rod has said. Plus....to be brutally honest...some never forgave him for unwittingly exposing some of the scumbags in our own support.

7 hours ago, dana82 said:

Been going since '75 and unless dementia has set in I cannot ever recall him getting abuse (over and above the abuse that ever player takes/took when he had a bad game) - seems to have joined in the 'offended brigade' unfortunately with those comments.

4 hours ago, richboy said:

He doesn't seem to react to heightened atmospheres very well. In less stressful situations (interviews or punditry) he comes across OK. When the stress levels go up (big matches) he seems to crack and react badly.

Oh dear, one week the associations are standing side by side heralding 'a bright new era' in north south relations. The next, Martin is pretty much saying "its a good job we're not playing at their place". 

4 hours ago, richboy said:

This is the incident after which I lost any respect for the man (I had no disrespect for him).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/which-truth-is-it-then-mr-lennon-28501966.html

Plays to the crowd.  He’s a liar.