OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

5 hours ago, chopper1 said:

Grigg has been injured since Bosnia game, don't think he has featured for Wigan since?

Was watching the Wigan v Leeds game on Sky the other day and it said Grigg wont play again until December after picking up a hamstring injury while playing for N.Ireland.

5 hours ago, chopper1 said:

Grigg has been injured since Bosnia game, don't think he has featured for Wigan since?

Was watching the Wigan v Leeds game on Sky the other day and it said Grigg wont play again until December after picking up a hamstring injury while playing for N.Ireland.

So the Hughes- McAuley era isn't quite over yet. We're going to play what will probably be two matches with little at stake- the first two plus McGovern, Ward and Lafferty look superfluous in a bloated squad.

12 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

So the Hughes- McAuley era isn't quite over yet. We're going to play what will probably be two matches with little at stake- the first two plus McGovern, Ward and Lafferty look superfluous in a bloated squad.

Michael's picked 28 players, which he doesn't usually do. 

My guess is that he wants to take a closer look at one or two of the newbies and assess the fitness of some of the others, then he'll send 4 or 5 back to their clubs after the friendly.

One other possible factor. He commented the other day that for the ECQ's (proper) next year, we'll have a succession of back-to-back games. Perhaps he's testing out the players now to see how they'll cope with it when the time comes? 

40 minutes ago, green port said:

my fault, thought i saw his name on the squad list

17 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

Michael's picked 28 players, which he doesn't usually do. 

My guess is that he wants to take a closer look at one or two of the newbies and assess the fitness of some of the others, then he'll send 4 or 5 back to their clubs after the friendly.

One other possible factor. He commented the other day that for the ECQ's (proper) next year, we'll have a succession of back-to-back games. Perhaps he's testing out the players now to see how they'll cope with it when the time comes? 

I think he has named 28 players (originally 29 as Liam Donnelly was also called up) because he is expecting a few to pull out through injuries.

7 hours ago, norniron93 said:

I'd rather a Washington lacking fitness over a fully fit Magennis or Vassell

6 hours ago, Tarabonga said:

+1 100%

6 hours ago, chopper1 said:

bit harsh on Josh but agree on Vassell

I'm not sure we've seen enough of Vassell to form a proper opinion. Give the lad a chance.

Think Mark Sykes is unlucky to be overlooked in terms of players getting promoted frpm the U21's.

In the Slovakia game Smyth was very good, but I though Sykes was at least as good as Jordan Thompson and more impressive than Donnelly.

From what i've seen, he's clearly the best player in the irish league this season and i think he could push on even further in a full-time environment, similar to what gavin Whyte is doing ATM, only even better if he joins the right club.

15 minutes ago, Clint said:

I'm not sure we've seen enough of Vassell to form a proper opinion. Give the lad a chance.

when was his last goal for his club Clint, has he scored this season? NO

i do hope he can turn it round now that he has declared for us

5 minutes ago, chopper1 said:

when was his last goal for his club Clint, has he scored this season?

No idea Chopper, but he certainly isn't troubling the top of the scoring charts.

Then again, our history isn't exactly littered with prolific goal scorers. It didn't mean they weren't great servants. 

Just now, Clint said:

No idea Chopper, but he certainly isn't troubling the top of the scoring charts.

Then again, our history isn't exactly littered with prolific goal scorers. It didn't mean they weren't great servants. 

no Clint he hasn't scored this season, maybe next Thursday or Sunday would be a timely for him to get one!

12 hours ago, glen man said:

Think Mark Sykes is unlucky to be overlooked in terms of players getting promoted frpm the U21's.

In the Slovakia game Smyth was very good, but I though Sykes was at least as good as Jordan Thompson and more impressive than Donnelly.

From what i've seen, he's clearly the best player in the irish league this season and i think he could push on even further in a full-time environment, similar to what gavin Whyte is doing ATM, only even better if he joins the right club.

Agreed on Sykes. Even if only brought into the squad to be around seasoned professionals for a few days as hes from part time football in the Irish league. 

37 minutes ago, dana82 said:

Agreed on Sykes. Even if only brought into the squad to be around seasoned professionals for a few days as hes from part time football in the Irish league. 

Tbf, Michael is very good at bringing young prospects, inc even occasional IL players, into the set-up when practical.

Assuming Sykes is good enough, his time will come.

1 hour ago, DavistoHealy said:

Thinking of driving down to the match, anyone have an idea of safe place to park

The area around the stadium is pretty safe.  It is an upmarket area of Dublin although it may not look like it from the away end.

It is mainly street parking but read the signs carefully re parking.  You will probably have to pay until 7pm but some streets make you pay until midnight.  

Bath Avenue is very convenient for the away end.  It is a bit more downmarket than the other side of the stadium but still pretty safe.

There will be very heavy traffic after the game all the way back to the Port Tunnel. 

This may sound absolutely daft and is considerably longer but you may want to look at  heading south of the stadium (out the N11 or parallel Merrion Road) joining the M50 at junction 14.  This is my route home and I rarely encounter traffic.  There is normally parking on Anglesea Road or the vicinity of the RDS or Clyde Road near the American embassy.  I'd only recommend parking there if heading south to the M50.