OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

Republic fans down south aren't quite keen on the international setup at present, so I could see a lot of them keeping away. There are talks on ybig of boycotts, so a non-competitive match could be an easy one to miss. Add to that the potential for trouble and the family crowd could stay away too. I reckon the FAI will be out of pocket with the cost of operating the stadium for a night.

I'd hate for it to turn in to the most bigoted ballixes from both sides of the fence in NI heading down to Dublin to scream abuse at each other, and the negative press which will come as a result. And for good measure, the Gardaí might steam in with balaclavas and batons. Although hopefully, now that Drew Harris is in charge, they will do it to the ROI fans.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:09 PM, Villa Mike said:

Won't be anywhere near it.  Terrible, terrible idea.

Nor me.

Awful idea.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:22 PM, J'hova said:

Republic fans down south aren't quite keen on the international setup at present, so I could see a lot of them keeping away. There are talks on ybig of boycotts, so a non-competitive match could be an easy one to miss. Add to that the potential for trouble and the family crowd could stay away too. I reckon the FAI will be out of pocket with the cost of operating the stadium for a night.

I'd hate for it to turn in to the most bigoted ballixes from both sides of the fence in NI heading down to Dublin to scream abuse at each other, and the negative press which will come as a result. And for good measure, the Gardaí might steam in with balaclavas and batons. Although hopefully, now that Drew Harris is in charge, they will do it to the ROI fans.

Can't see any talk on YBIG, any links? Must be blind.

24 minutes ago, buckfast_kid said:

Possibly being treated with indifference. I couldn't fault them for that. Our last game there didn't really get the crowds in.

15k according to Wiki, rattling around in that massive stadium.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:33 PM, pjc said:

with close to 200 countries worldwide, why would we play a federation that openly and unapologetically poaches our players?

Thats it in a nutshell.

Wont be anywhere near it

13 hours ago, matt said:

Thats it in a nutshell.

Wont be anywhere near it

Because of their behaviour if we beat them them it would give me more pleasure than beating any of the other 200 countries and I want to be there to see it. 

On 9/22/2018 at 1:38 PM, buckfast_kid said:

Sorry, not a specific boycott of this match, but they're talking about staying away from non-specified to punish the FAI. I'd guess, as a fan, a friendly would be easier to miss. And if they think they're going to get their arses handed to them, they've got an excuse of the boycott when we do it. 

9 hours ago, sinti said:

Because of their behaviour if we beat them them it would give me more pleasure than beating any of the other 200 countries and I want to be there to see it. 

It's a meaningless friendly, neither side will be overly concerned about winning, therefore not much in the way of bragging rights up for grabs.

7 hours ago, Healy74 said:

I'd expect us to beat them comfortably on current form. 

Our appalling record with away friendlies would make me sceptical about that.

Win or lose we'll come out of it smelling of sh@$e,should never have happened.Should keep the knuckle draggers on both sides happy 

Have said all along I want nothing to do with it and reckon I'll stick with that, even as temptation will inevitably gnaw away. This isn't aimed at anyone on this thread, but I've only met a few NI 'fans' in the recent past who were dead keen to play the ROI, and to a man they were the kind of supporters I'd cross the street to avoid. I'm imagining almost the entire away end being of that calibre. I can also see the point people have made about going, to try to outweigh that! Was at the 'Omagh' game in '99 and didn't hugely enjoy the experience, except for the result. We had some absolute wabs in attendance that day. Didn't bother with the Celtic Cup thrashing, thankfully!

On 9/24/2018 at 10:18 AM, Campbell said:

Win or lose we'll come out of it smelling of sh@$e,should never have happened.Should keep the knuckle draggers on both sides happy 

Tend to agree Campbell , hopefully not though . I travel to majority of games , will be doing the double header soon but I won't be anywhere near this game .

Wish this game wasn't happening but the fact that it is lets just hope its a low key game and we get it out of the way and move on.

No doubt there will be those who just cant wait to get their phones out to show themselves singing certain songs then posting it on various sites to show how big they are.