OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

10 minutes ago, P.McCarroll said:

Did he lose his job? I'll not be shedding any tears tbh, but I guess there's room for debate about losing a job over it.

I saw it reported in the media somewhere, but like everything ekse I read I treat it wuth a pinch of salt.

20 minutes ago, P.McCarroll said:

Did he lose his job? I'll not be shedding any tears tbh, but I guess there's room for debate about losing a job over it.

He's been suspended, according to reports. Hasn't been sacked (yet).

10 minutes ago, EalingGreen said:

I have no view on whether he should have lost his job (did he definitely lose it, btw?).

But he should never be allowed to buy an NI match ticket again - the rest of us really don't need assholes like him who are always liable to cause trouble where it doesn't need to exist.

I don't doubt he's a tit, but I think you'd be on dodgy ground banning someone when a) what they did wasn't illegal and b) it wasn't in a football stadium. Also, the IFA haven't a clue who has their match tickets half the time, so implementing any ban would be a right laugh.

17 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

I don't doubt he's a tit, but I think you'd be on dodgy ground banning someone when a) what they did wasn't illegal and b) it wasn't in a football stadium.

When it comes to employment etc, everyone has rights as well as responsibilities.

But football is not like that i.e. no one has a right to buy a ticket unless the organiser permits it.

In this case, when ticket sales were restricted for a potentially difficult encounter, people might be expected to ask: "Why did the IFA sell a ticket to someone who is liable to provoke trouble?", to which the reasonable answer would be: "Because we didn't know at the time".

Now they do. 

P.S. Can you imagine the sh!tstorm which would ensue should this di**head ever get in trouble again at or around an NI match? :o

17 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

Also, the IFA haven't a clue who has their match tickets half the time, so implementing any ban would be a right laugh.

Agree - but that is an additional criticism of the IFA, not a justification.

In any case, if the IFA puts someone on a banned list, then he takes exceptional measures to get round the ban, then the IFA has some excuse, whereas it will be 'open season' if they had done nothing.

Besides all of which, imposing a ban on this guy might make others think twice before repeating this sort of behaviour. Whereas doing nothing is only likely to persuade others to ape this baboon (sorry).

2 hours ago, hughes18 said:

He's been suspended, according to reports. Hasn't been sacked (yet).

I don't doubt he's a tit, but I think you'd be on dodgy ground banning someone when a) what they did wasn't illegal and b) it wasn't in a football stadium. Also, the IFA haven't a clue who has their match tickets half the time, so implementing any ban would be a right laugh.

They’d need to have a reason to ban him. 

Did the IFA ban Lisa Evans?

Did they sanction our drink driving manager in any way?

6 minutes ago, GPJim said:

They’d need to have a reason to ban him. 

Did the IFA ban Lisa Evans?

Did they sanction our drink driving manager in any way?

He has a conviction for violence at a football match I thought. If so that's a good enough reason to ban him. 

I'm sure Michael was punished but it wasn't made public. Whether it was severe enough is a different matter. 

No idea what they did about Lisa Evans to be fair. 

So long as they comply with the law as regards discrimination etc, the IFA is under no obligation to sell him (or anyone) a ticket.

So just ban the twat and let him appeal (if he wants to waste his time).

Or is there anyone on this forum who actually wants to risk sitting beside him, or end up travelling to games with him?

On 11/19/2018 at 4:43 PM, hughes18 said:

Was just about to post about this. Full text below from everyone's favourite drunken train passenger reporter, Ciaran Barnes. Doug Beattie's quotes (nor his tweets on the night) don't even mention sectarianism!

The fan branded an idiot after being caught waving a Parachute Regiment flag before Northern Ireland's match against the Republic is a convicted football thug.

Postman Paul Harding (41) was pictured with the banner at a roadside service station on the way to Thursday night's goalless draw at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The Royal Mail worker's behaviour has been condemned as provocative by nationalists as inquests into the 1971 Ballymurphy Massacre, when 11 civilians were killed by the Parachute Regiment, opened last week.

Hooligan Harding has previous form for appalling behaviour at football matches and in 2005 was given a suspended jail sentence for rioting at a Glentoran v Linfield game.

Magistrate Desmond Perry compared his behaviour during clashes at the Oval to that of a "wild animal".

Harding, whose postal round covers the Sydenham area of east Belfast, was convicted after being photographed by Sunday Life running onto the pitch.

On Thursday he was among thousands of fans who crossed the border to attend the friendly match.

It was marred by poor crowd behaviour, with both national anthems booed and sectarian chanting throughout.

Politicians on both sides of the border condemned as "idiots" the small sections of supporters who were involved.

Harding was on a mini-coach of Northern Ireland fans that travelled from east Belfast to the match.

He was seen getting off the vehicle at a roadside service station and waving a purple Parachute Regiment flag at Republic supporters.

The Army unit was responsible for shooting dead 14 innocent civilians in Derry on Bloody Sunday in 1972.

Another video posted online shows a Republic fan attach a tricolour to the back of a Northern Ireland supporters coach that had stopped at another service station.

Tanaiste Simon Coveney condemned the behaviour of some fans at the game.

He said: "Embarrassed that a small number of fans booed the national anthem of Northern Ireland tonight at the Aviva. Competitive friendly, but Northern Ireland were our guests tonight in Dublin."

Gardai said there were a small number of clashes at the game, but no arrests were made.

Ulster Unionist MLA Doug Beattie also hit out at the booing of the national anthems and sectarian chanting.

He added: "I think it is pretty simple - we should all show respect to a nation's national anthem.

"Each national anthem needs to be shown respect on sporting occasions like this and ordinarily it normally would.

"But I think this was not right to be honest."

cbarnes@sundaylife.co.uk

Its not purple, it's Maroon. So a factually incorrect article which can be ignored. 

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

He has a conviction for violence at a football match I thought. If so that's a good enough reason to ban him. 

I'm sure Michael was punished but it wasn't made public. Whether it was severe enough is a different matter. 

No idea what they did about Lisa Evans to be fair. 

Conviction was 13(?) years ago. No idea if he was banned at the time, but it’s a bit of a stretch to ban him now - 13 years after the event. Particularly for the “crime” of doing nothing illegal miles from a football stadium hours before a match that he may or may not have attended. 

I wouldn’t be sure the IFA did anything about the drink driver or the runaway tweeter.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, hughes18 said:

Lie repeated again today in a follow-up story about the flag-waver. Angry email sent.

The follow-up story has been amended to remove any mention of 'sectarian chanting'. Barnes' original version has not.

18 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Can a person be banned from a football stadium just for being a dick, like they can be banned from a bar?

There is no general right of admission. Therefore unless refusal is unlawful (eg discriminating on the basis of colour, religion. sexuality, disability etc), then the organisers of an event may refuse to sell a ticket to someone, or to prevent the ticket from being validated at the turnstile, and it's entirely their own business.

Normally these things are covered by the T's & C's in the small print. For example, if someone has a criminal record for football hooliganism, that would likely breach some condition of sale. Similarly, it is not a crime to be drunk (thank goodness!), but ground regulations will invariably state that even a valid ticket holder may be refused admission should he appear intoxicated etc.

And even if there is no term which precisely covers the reason for not selling a ticket, or refusing admission ("Thou shalt not be a dick"), were it to be challenged, a court would look to see whether the event organiser's actions were reasonable. In this case, having a criminal record for football hooliganism would undoubtedly constitute reasonable grounds for not selling a ticket.

Similarly, behaving in such a manner to suggest that you might provoke trouble in future (eg taking a Para's flag to Dublin and boating about it on social media etc) would also likely be adequate to  withhold ticket sales. 

And if a ticket were somehow acquired, possession of a contentious flag at the stadium which was capable of provoking trouble could be another (though it would more usually be considered sufficient just to confiscate it).

Thereafter, organisers may decide for themselves that in all the circumstances, an individual's right to buy tickets in future should be curtailed. 

20 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

Can a person be banned from a football stadium just for being a dick, like they can be banned from a bar?

Can a person be banned for being a sh*te journalist? 

33 minutes ago, dana82 said:

Can a person be banned for being a sh*te journalist? 

Stop buying the sh*te newspapers and the owners will get the message.