OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

2 hours ago, hughes18 said:

"Martin O'Neill contacted Michael Duffy in relation to changing allegiance."

But sure, it's always the players that make the first move, remember.

Indeed.

Interesting that Agent M approached MD, mind. One of the criticisms of Martin by the ROI fans was that he was never interested in players in their under-age set-up, only those seniors who were ready here and now (It was Noel King & Co who did all the scouting and approach work, and although he lost the U-21's job, King is still at the FAI as head of international recruitment).

Indeed I remember reading that when Martin was at Villa, Randy Lerner once commented that if Martin's office wasn't beside the training ground, he wouldn't know who any of Villa's youngsters even were! To which Martin replied that his job was simply to get results for the first team (or somesuch), the implication being that Lerner would sack him soon enough if he didn't, whatever the youth teams were doing.

I suspect that with his results with the ROI senior team being so poor this last year or two, his approach to MD was a late bit of 'window dressing' to stave off further criticism - ditto his call-up for Jimmy Dunne before our game, before dropping him again when he cut the squad.

Either way, it wasn't nearly enough to save him when Delaney decided he needed to chuck him under the bus to save his (Delaney's) own position. 

21 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

One of the criticisms of Martin by the ROI fans was that he was never interested in players in their under-age set-up, only those seniors who were ready here and now

I remember the suggestion (possibly also from EG) that Marty was close to getting the England job back in the day, until he rejected the EFA's requirement to work  closely with the junior teams.

27 minutes ago, Floreat Ultonia said:

I remember the suggestion (possibly also from EG) that Marty was close to getting the England job back in the day, until he rejected the EFA's requirement to work  closely with the junior teams.

O'Neill would have taken England job

Martin O'Neill has confirmed he wanted to become England manager. The former Celtic and Leicester manager had been tight-lipped on the issue and it was thought that his personal circumstances may have forced him out of the running.

Wife Geraldine is continuing to battle cancer but O'Neill has declared himself ready to return to football, and would have relished the challenge of managing England.

"It is one of the great jobs in world football," the Northern Irishman told BBC Radio.

"If Brian Clough, who had the ego the size of 15 houses, had the humility to go for an interview for the England job then the rest of us mortals should be able to subject ourselves to that.

"Had the job been offered, then I would have been absolutely foolish to turn it down."

"I think the interview went fine," said O'Neill. "I'm not sure that interviews and I get along, particularly first interviews.

"Overall I didn't get the job, whether people on the other side of the table were impressed, unimpressed, had their own particular agenda, eventually you can come up with all sorts of reasons, the fact is when the dust settled I wasn't the England manager."

Irish Times, June 2006

P.S. The FA gave the job to McClaren instead.

On 11/19/2018 at 4:43 PM, hughes18 said:

The fan branded an idiot after being caught waving a Parachute Regiment flag before Northern Ireland's match against the Republic is a convicted football thug.

Postman Paul Harding (41) was pictured with the banner at a roadside service station on the way to Thursday night's goalless draw at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The Royal Mail worker's behaviour has been condemned as provocative by nationalists as inquests into the 1971 Ballymurphy Massacre, when 11 civilians were killed by the Parachute Regiment, opened last week.

Hooligan Harding has previous form for appalling behaviour at football matches and in 2005 was given a suspended jail sentence for rioting at a Glentoran v Linfield game.

Magistrate Desmond Perry compared his behaviour during clashes at the Oval to that of a "wild animal".

One of the problems with scum like this - esp in the stadium itself - is that people don't know how to address it, and/or are too frightened.

Included in the equivalent "Twelfth Man" advice for fans attending Spurs game with Inter at Wembley tonight is the following:

"If you witness any form of anti-social, abusive or discriminatory behaviour, crime, vandalism, violence, the use of smoke bombs or pyrotechnics close to you at any of our matches, please send a text to 87474 along with your location (block/row/seat) and the location of the offence (block/row/seat).

Text 87474 with - FOUL (language & behaviour); RACISM (racist chanting & shouting); HPH (homophobic chanting); DRINK (drinking alcohol in view of the pitch); SMOKE (smoking in the stadium); STAND (standing up); PYRO (use of or intended use of any pyrotechnic or smoke bomb)."

Something like that could be very useful at Windsor to help deal with the Buckfast-sh*t-Themselves-Falling-Over-Flagger-Brigade who sometimes infest our games.

Though the IFA may not have heard of Texting yet...

The amount of Buckfast bottles lying around inside the stadium is a disgrace. Who cleans up the stadium after every International game ? Surely having to clean them up so often is brought to someone`s attention ?

I'm not concerned about the rubbish that is left behind, it happens in all stadiums, but one of these days the type of people who bring in the bottles and then decide its ok to just leave them lying around are probably the type who would get angry at someone, ref/player and think nothing about throwing a throw a bottle onto the pitch. Then everyone suffers.

7 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

One of the problems with scum like this - esp in the stadium itself - is that people don't know how to address it, and/or are too frightened.

You can't reason with stupidity.

I must let the IFA know about Lisa Evan's tweet. 

Oh, and some baffoons near me called the opposition keeper a fat b*stard, even though he was a skinny cnut.

In the midst of all this hoo haa over John Delaney and the FAI just now, it has also emerged just how many free tickets he was giving away for matches, presumably both to keep his cronies happy whilst also massaging the poor attendances. This included our friendly at the end of last year:

THE full extent of the FAI’s inability to fill the Aviva Stadium is today laid bare — with thousands of free tickets handed out.

The Irish Sun has learned that more than 8,000 ­complimentary tickets were given out for last month’s European Championships ­qualifier with Georgia.

This means that despite the surge of optimism marking Mick McCarthy’s first competitive home game in charge, one fifth of the 40,317 crowd did not pay to attend the 1-0 win in Dublin.

It followed a depressing recent trend where the Association has struggled to get bums on seats.

A source told us: “Around 5,000 for every game goes to staff, ­sponsors, Uefa, etc. The rest just got given away to whoever. The instruction was to get rid of as many tickets as possible.”

The Nations League under the management of Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane was a disaster, ticket figures reveal.

More than 12,000 free passes were handed out for the 1-0 defeat to Wales on October 16, 2018 out of an official attendance of 38,321.

And three days earlier, just 8,000 supporters out of almost 42,000 in the stadium paid specifically for ­tickets to our 0-0 clash with ­Denmark.

More than 17,000 were given out for free, with the rest made up of season tickets, Club ­Ireland and away fans. Some 16k season ticket holders paid as part of their package, as did club Ireland holders.

In excess of 9,000 comps were handed out for the dour 0-0 friendly draw between Ireland and Northern Ireland on November 15. The official attendance was 31,000.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3986108/fais-free-tickets-georgia-qualifier/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'd be pretty pissed off had I paid out for a Season Ticket, only to learn that thousands of others were getting in for free.

I'm sure the IFA would never hand out free tickets, nor put guests up in hotels for nought. 

How come ROI have been able to rename themselves as Ireland?, is this just uefa/Fifa don't care, they can call themselves what they want, most people refer to them as Ireland and forget we exist or just easier/shorter to print.....

36 minutes ago, aubsni said:

How come ROI have been able to rename themselves as Ireland?, is this just uefa/Fifa don't care, they can call themselves what they want, most people refer to them as Ireland and forget we exist or just easier/shorter to print.....

The country is officially called Ireland, whether we like it or not.