OUR WEE COUNTRY
hughes18

Republic of Ireland (A) - Nov 15

On 4/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, hughes18 said:

The country is officially called Ireland, whether we like it or not.

Should never have been allowed, it’s a territorial claim on us.

2 hours ago, buckfast_kid said:

Should never have been allowed, it’s a territorial claim on us.

If fifa intervened in the 50's to state it should roi and ni, why not now?.

Although back then 2 teams were called ireland and now one is northern ireland.

8 hours ago, GOTW said:

If fifa intervened in the 50's to state it should roi and ni, why not now?.

Although back then 2 teams were called ireland and now one is northern ireland.

Not quite.

At the time, both teams claimed the title "Ireland". FIFA declared that they could call themselves "ROI" and we "NI" for competitive fixtures/official competitions - World Cup matches, effectively.

But the IFA was entitled to go on calling our team "Ireland" for British Championship games at least (friendlies also?), which they continued to do until the early 1970's (not sure exactly when), when we adopted "NI" for all games and altered the badge accordingly.

And going back to then, I attended my first couple of matches in 1970 and 1971, and it was common enough to hear the cry "C'mon Ireland" from the crowd, and I think even for a bit after 1975, when home matches resumed in Belfast after a four year hiatus due to The Troubles/IRA threats. I also remember one of the (few) songs we sung was:

"Ireland, Ireland, I'd walk a million miles for one of your goals, oh Ireland!"

Meanwhile, from the earliest I remember of Themmuns, they were known as "Eire", throughout the British Isles, presumably to distinguish them from NI (Ireland).

On 18 April 2019 at 8:29 PM, hughes18 said:

The country is officially called Ireland, whether we like it or not.

When you say 'The country' what are you referring to? 

is there football team not known as the Republic of Ireland and people have started shortening it 1. Easier to say Ireland as opposed to the Republic of Ireland, 2. Lack of knowledge that there are 2 international teams on this island, 3. A way of sidelining Northern Ireland (as  in we are Ireland, those  other yahoos aren't even worth considering) or some other reason?

1 hour ago, aubsni said:

is there football team not known as the Republic of Ireland and people have started shortening it 1. Easier to say Ireland as opposed to the Republic of Ireland, 2. Lack of knowledge that there are 2 international teams on this island, 3. A way of sidelining Northern Ireland (as  in we are Ireland, those  other yahoos aren't even worth considering) or some other reason?

The 26 county state is known as Ireland at the UN.

2 hours ago, aubsni said:

The football team is NOT the state, regardless of what the latter chooses to call itself, or some might like to believe.

International football teams represent National Associations (as recognised by FIFA), no more, no less.

And the team which represents the Football Association of Ireland is (or should be) known as "Republic of Ireland".

Therefore any reference to eg the Irish Constitution/GFA/UN Charter etc is irrelevant.

2 hours ago, aubsni said:

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en

Just the two references to the 'Republic' in the FAI's Rules of the Association (one to say that its headquarters must always be there).

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Football Association of Ireland Rules of the Association Effective 12th ....pdf

The majority of the earth (including the majority of Great Britain, in my experience) calls the 26 counties Ireland.

Like I said, you or I may not like it, but that's what it's called.

3 hours ago, hughes18 said:

"The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en

Just the two references to the 'Republic' in the FAI's Rules of the Association (one to say that its headquarters must always be there).

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Football Association of Ireland Rules of the Association Effective 12th ....pdf

The majority of the earth (including the majority of Great Britain, in my experience) calls the 26 counties Ireland.

Like I said, you or I may not like it, but that's what it's called.

Throw in the majority of football commentators who also refer to the FAI’s teams as Ireland.

The FAI could argue to be a de F*C*O all Ireland team based on their all Ireland selection policy. To further back that argument they have the GFA where over 70% of NI voters endorsed the right of the population to choose to be Irish citizens if they wish. Citizenship being the eligibility criteria to play for the ROI

I do occasionally correct people regarding the name of our southern friends’ team, but it’s like stopping the tide coming in. 

We have to call them "Republic of Ireland".

If nothing else, it distinguishes them from the "Ireland" Rugby team, for the benefit of all those who endorse the latter by their club memberships, participation and attendance etc.

You know, hard cash and all that...

On ROI football merchandise did Republic of start appearing in a smaller font and may now not appear.

10 hours ago, EalingGreen said:

We have to call them "Republic of Ireland".

If nothing else, it distinguishes them from the "Ireland" Rugby team, for the benefit of all those who endorse the latter by their club memberships, participation and attendance etc.

You know, hard cash and all that...

The IRFU is an all Ireland body. Just the same as hockey, boxing, cricket, equestrian etc. Their teams are all called Ireland. Big difference to how football is organised on the island. Not sure how any of these are linked to football?

6 hours ago, GPJim said:

The IRFU is an all Ireland body. Just the same as hockey, boxing, cricket, equestrian etc. Their teams are all called Ireland. Big difference to how football is organised on the island. Not sure how any of these are linked to football?

Although cricket is an all Ireland body a Northern Ireland cricket team were able play in the Commonwealth Games. In a recent Olympics the UK hockey side had two or three players from NI and the Ireland hockey team had the biggest representation from NI but in the Commonwealth Games two years later it was somehow impossible to organise  a NI team to compete.

Republic of Ireland is still used on programmes tickets etc.  It is on the website and on all the branding for the U17s.

Ireland is used a lot as much easier to say etc.  Our main SCs apart from a couple of exceptions (guess where they are from) are called Republic of Ireland .....

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/list-of-republic-of-ireland-supporters-clubs-worldwide

I can recall Ireland and Eire being used in the 70's and that was a bone of contention.  It was our fans then who used to insist on saying Northern Ireland.  

On 4/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, EalingGreen said:

The football team is NOT the state, regardless of what the latter chooses to call itself, or some might like to believe.

Exactly this. We are talking about the football team, not the bloody state. Its our duty to call this out as and when the FAI and others refer to the football team to as Ireland, as they are not - they are the Republic of Ireland.