OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post Mortem

13 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Does anyone know if we are in any danger of f**king our rankings/pots due to our results thus far in Autumn 2018?

Not that arsed about that, happy with how we played against Bosnia, but we were pretty awful this evening. Austria are not good, they were there for the taking.

1 hour ago, Villa Mike said:

This nations league thing is dopey, so I’m not arsed about relegation, but we were poor all over the park tonight. If I’m Liam Boyce, putting my time in for years, and some random stranger is getting off the bench ahead of me, I’d knock it on the head. Vassell looked clueless, caught under the ball like a Sunday league player. I suppose the only way is up.

Friendlies are sh*te! 

It wasn't a friendly, and I think you should know that by now. I think the Nations League is a good idea, personally, but it plainly hasn't caught the imagination of the casual football public. Had a couple of conversations tonight with people who had zero idea about what these games mean, what they lead to etc...it's a hard sell because it's quite complicated...however, the idea of playing teams at our level, often, instead of random friendlies is a sound one...

Agree with you (VM) about Boyce though...did someone say he's carrying an injury?

28 minutes ago, P.McCarroll said:

Agree with you (VM) about Boyce though...did someone say he's carrying an injury?

Michael said he was injured in his BBC interview.

6 hours ago, P.McCarroll said:

It wasn't a friendly, and I think you should know that by now. I think the Nations League is a good idea, personally, but it plainly hasn't caught the imagination of the casual football public. Had a couple of conversations tonight with people who had zero idea about what these games mean, what they lead to etc...it's a hard sell because it's quite complicated...however, the idea of playing teams at our level, often, instead of random friendlies is a sound one...

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the workings of the competition, but from what I've gathered I'm a ) not the only one and b ) like you said a lot of people seem to have absolutely no idea and think that it's just friendlies. 

I thought it was strange that Michael said in a post match interview that he wasn't bothered about this group and it was useful preparation for the qualifying which begins in March. It made it sound like he didn't know what it was all about either. I'm sure he does but I'd maybe using the approach that if we've got to bomb in a group it's better to do it now (whilst bedding in new players) than in qualification proper.

Didn't Martin O'Neill admit he didn't understand the Nation's League?

I think Michael just meant there wasn't a big difference being in league b or league c

Any decent side is built on a solid defence and a good spine down the middle of the team. We had 2 young players who are vastly inexperienced in our defence, our best centre back and our right back  [ I don't think it`s McNairs best position anyway ] are not getting much game time for their clubs. Our captain and the player who makes us tick is also not getting games for his club and is nowhere near showing the level he has done for us I the past.

Dallas and Ferguson for all their work rate and commitment don't give us the quality we need in wide areas so even against average teams we are going to find it hard. Whether people like him or not Lafferty is our best striker but when he decides he doesn`t want to play for what ever reason it doesn`t help matters.

Losing experienced players like Big G, Hughes and Brunt is going to be a loss and it will take time to get the new guys up to speed. We are in a transition period now and we just have to take these sort of results on the chin and move on. It will get better. 

Zero urgency in possession first half, no movement when we won the ball back. 

The goal was coming, they got in behind our full backs so many times. 

Austria weren't great, game was there to be won with a bit of positivity. 

How did that song for the keeper go? Something about ‘Our New Roy Carroll’?

32 minutes ago, bazza said:

How did that song for the keeper go? Something about ‘Our New Roy Carroll’?

To the tune of What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor...

Who's our new Roy Carroll?

Bailey Peacock-Farrell 

14 minutes ago, hughes18 said:

To the tune of What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor...

Bailey Peacock-Farrell 

Ta, couldn’t remember the tune at all. ?

I think Peacock Farrell is going to be very very good for us soon but right now hes not just good enough.  Showing too many signs of inexperience.  Should never have been collecting that backpass.  Lucky we didnt go 1-0 down right there.  Been a couple other instances in last couple of matches too.  But like I say I do think he will be really good in as soon as another year or two.

Grigg shows once again that he should be starting every game because he is one of those strikers who shows really good oppourtunism when he plays.  He should have scored last night.  His smart near post header showed sharpness and agility that we dont have when hes not on.

More frustration. A whisker away from 1-1.

In the aftermath, I was thinking 3-5-2 straight away for Bosnia but no Grigg or Boyce makes that tricky.

The full backs defensively are a liability. Lewis is raw and we can see him learning and improving. McNair is in the same boat - what is O'Neill's long term plan for him? 20 odd starts at RB and I'm sure he'll be fine but, ultimately, does he move to midfield (after Davis)? McLaughlin's never let us down at the back but the inclusion of McNair has an obvious upside in an attacking sense.

I thought both teams were poor last night. Bosnia also look to be a poor side. Are we in the weakest group?

With Lafferty  deciding to exclude himself, Grigg is easily our best option up front - though unfortunately he's now injured after his 15 minutes on the pitch!

Unfortunately Ferguson just isn't good enough to compete at this level.

Magennis ran himself into the ground but last night he proved to be better in defence than upfront.

For me, Jamal Lewis has proved to be the best of the youngsters brought in - a fast, attacking left back.

Peacock Farrell isn't the complete goalkeeper yet but he's probably the best we've got atm.

Regarding Steven Davis, he has been invaluable for us for years, but he really needs to be getting more game time at club level.

Paddy McNair has undoubted talent but I don't think he should be used as a right back.

Overall our passing/distribution was dreadful particularly in the first half but once we went a goal down things definitely improved.