OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post Mortem

I wouldn't have started Fergie. I would have played McLaughlin at right back and played Paddy wide right, and moved Dallas back over to the left.

More of the no plan B I'm afraid. Slug it out for a draw, then huff and puff with no end result when we concede. 

Was thinking on the way over for this game without the like of Brunt (albeit for good), Lafferty & Big G we would struggle an so it proved. Plenty of energy in the side but no real zip or creation of anything in attack. Felt we deserved a point at least, having watched back the highlights that chance Davis misses at 0-0 is criminal, also Grigg's header off the post could have landed to any number of NI players but bounced stright into the keepers hands.

We will be up against it in Bosnia especially being so light in attack. Can see a 0-0 draw myself.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:31 AM, richboy said:

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the workings of the competition, but from what I've gathered I'm a ) not the only one and b ) like you said a lot of people seem to have absolutely no idea and think that it's just friendlies. 

I thought it was strange that Michael said in a post match interview that he wasn't bothered about this group and it was useful preparation for the qualifying which begins in March. It made it sound like he didn't know what it was all about either. I'm sure he does but I'd maybe using the approach that if we've got to bomb in a group it's better to do it now (whilst bedding in new players) than in qualification proper.

Didn't Martin O'Neill admit he didn't understand the Nation's League?

I spent about 15 minutes reading about the competition prior to our first game. From what I read, it isn't that complicated.

My understanding is that there are 4 levels or tiers (calling it a league just muddies the water) and there are then groups within those levels. Finish bottom of your group and you're relegated to the level below. Win your group and you are promoted to the level above AND are into a knockout competition for a place at the Euros against the other group winners at the same level. 4 levels = 4 spots the the Euro finals. 

I think it is reasonably well thought out and means that at least one of the bottom ranked nations will be at the Euros.

Now time for someone to tell me I've missed something, and if only it were that simple. :biggrin:

42 minutes ago, GPJim said:

Now time for someone to tell me I've missed something, and if only it were that simple. :biggrin:

I think you got it spot on. ??

We may end up as 3rd seed despite successive top 2 finishes. Against that, we will likely get a play off in early 2020 even if finishing 4th or 5th in the main series next year.

So swings and roundabouts. Or friendlies and a half. If Michael sees them as a chance to experiment fair dos

4 hours ago, GPJim said:

I spent about 15 minutes reading about the competition prior to our first game. From what I read, it isn't that complicated.

My understanding is that there are 4 levels or tiers (calling it a league just muddies the water) and there are then groups within those levels. Finish bottom of your group and you're relegated to the level below. Win your group and you are promoted to the level above AND are into a knockout competition for a place at the Euros against the other group winners at the same level. 4 levels = 4 spots the the Euro finals. 

I think it is reasonably well thought out and means that at least one of the bottom ranked nations will be at the Euros.

That's my understanding of it too, along with the winner of the knockout in the top league being crowned the Nations League Champion?!?

I think it’s the Euro 2020 qualifying that is confusing.  You’d have to presume that most, if not all of the top tier will qualify through the qualifiers, so what happens then?  If say 1 group A time don’t qualify then who do they play - it would hardly be fair to the Group B winners to play a team from a higher tier, rather than a team of a comparable standard

Lets say 11 teams from League A 7 from B and 2 from C qualify as winners or runners up in the  main qualifiers. Play offs would then be

League D- 4 mini group winners

C-  best 4 teams from C ( unless the auto qualifiers are 1 or 2of them, if so replace with 5th and then 6th best

B- best 4 of 5  teams from B not already through

A- 1 team from A not already through plus 1 remaining team from B plus next two in line from C

So you work up from the  plankton and minnows. It's 'fair' to stronger C teams who play off against each other r/t say Germany or Italy- and of course a safety net for the latter and for the weakest B team.

Unfair to a B team who misses auto quali narrowly then loses a playoff- against that not making the top 20 isnt really 'unlucky' 

6 hours ago, GPJim said:

AND are into a knockout competition for a place at the Euros against the other group winners

Think this is where the confusion comes in. Obviously some of the group winners will already qualify through the normal qualification process so the full impact of nations league results won't be known until qualifiers have been played. 

Starting in league B means that should we not qualify directly the likelihood is that we would still get a play-off place even if we get relegated to league C.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Phil said:

More of the no plan B I'm afraid. Slug it out for a draw, then huff and puff with no end result when we concede. 

There was definitely a plan B (subs were made, and the formation changed).

I'd say the question mark relates more to plan A.

A few observations;

At full strength Magennis isn't a starter. it's most definitely Grigg time, and I'm not sure that he can't play as the lone striker if/when required.

McNair's athleticism would suggest he can play wide, but not at right back. Right midfield could be a good spot for him.

Playing a 3-5-2, with the players available, could be difficult. You need 3 CB's for that, and the jury is out on McAuley at the minute.

We really miss Big G, I hope the move to Rangers proves to be a good one for him (and us) and gets back to playing regularly as he miss his leadership, presence and threat from set-pieces.

Brunt is also a big loss, more so because of his set-piece delivery. Those 2 things mean we are much weaker at where our goal threat lies, from set-pieces.  

Maginnis should not be starting for. Does MON not like Will Grigg or Liam Boyce for that matter even Whyte. Big Josh should not have had so much game time as he had on Friday night.

Agreed. Big G is sorely missed at both ends of the park. There's no way we'd have conceded all of those three Nations League goals if he'd have been on the park.

(Edit: agreed with Dana82's last post that is)