Jump to content
OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, espana82 said:

Maginnis should not be starting for. Does MON not like Will Grigg or Liam Boyce for that matter even Whyte. Big Josh should not have had so much game time as he had on Friday night.

Whyte isn’t a striker. Boyce was injured and wasn’t stripped.

Grigg cannot play up front on his own. Can’t see where this argument is going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye dead on mate Whyte is a forward/winger. Wasn't sure about Boyce. Grigg not being able to play up front is your option. Josh Magennis was a goalkeeper.

That's where its going

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, espana82 said:

Aye dead on mate Whyte is a forward/winger. Wasn't sure about Boyce. Grigg not being able to play up front is your option. Josh Magennis was a goalkeeper.

That's where its going

 

Being a forward is different to a ‘striker’. I’ve watched Gavin at a range of levels over the years and he has always played on the wing.

If Boyce had of been fit he may have started with Magennis or Grigg. Not on his own. 

Josh being an ex-goalkeeper didn’t stop him scoring against Greece at home or setting up the second goal in Lyon.

Some of the criticism he has been getting has been quite frankly absurd. I’ve seen dozens of people hammering him on social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Being a forward is different to a ‘striker’. I’ve watched Gavin at a range of levels over the years and he has always played on the wing.

If Boyce had of been fit he may have started with Magennis or Grigg. Not on his own. 

Josh being an ex-goalkeeper didn’t stop him scoring against Greece at home or setting up the second goal in Lyon.

Some of the criticism he has been getting has been quite frankly absurd. I’ve seen dozens of people hammering him on social media.

Does Grigg not play up front on his own for Wigan? He has a lot more mobility than big Josh and, with the right type of service, I don't see why he couldn't do it.

Anybody 'hammering' Magennis needs to wise up, but I wouldn't pick him as a lone striker again (unless absolutely necessary).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

Being a forward is different to a ‘striker’. I’ve watched Gavin at a range of levels over the years and he has always played on the wing.

If Boyce had of been fit he may have started with Magennis or Grigg. Not on his own. 

Josh being an ex-goalkeeper didn’t stop him scoring against Greece at home or setting up the second goal in Lyon.

Some of the criticism he has been getting has been quite frankly absurd. I’ve seen dozens of people hammering him on social media.

100% - Josh may not be the most gifted striker we've ever had, but he is effective, and his contribution at times has proven that. While I don't totally understand why he's been played up front on his own, I can see how MON has tried to fit him into his gameplan v Austria. We all have the benefit of hindsight, but Michael had a plan prior to the game which didn't work on the night.

Magennis needs to be played up front with someone, either dropping or someone dropping off him to get onto the scraps (ie Grigg). Either way, I just don't understand how followers of the NI team can deem him to be useless, considering Michael O'Neill brings him into the squads ahead of others. Not to mention the fact that a Championship club in England have also put their faith in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem to play a 4-2-3-1 which would ensure they have more support for Grigg.

Would he have fared any better against the giant Austrian centre halves on Friday. I’d hazard a guess at no.

Agree 100% about the abuse Magennis is taking. We’ve had more talented players play in emerald green but no one can doubt Josh giving 100% every time he pulls on the jersey.

Some of the crap I’ve read on that ‘Everywhere we go’ Facebook page would nearly make you weep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He saved us in San Marino with 20 mins left and facing the unspeakable, against Austria was a thankless task as with no supply and no partner you are going to struggle away from home, if he plays tonight I hope Michael gives him some support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

They seem to play a 4-2-3-1 which would ensure they have more support for Grigg.

Would he have fared any better against the giant Austrian centre halves on Friday. I’d hazard a guess at no.

He had 10/15 minutes on the pitch, during which he managed to clip the post was a header. 

 

38 minutes ago, RichardM said:

He saved us in San Marino with 20 mins left and facing the unspeakable,

A very different opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Clint said:

He had 10/15 minutes on the pitch, during which he managed to clip the post was a header.

When there was a second striker on the pitch and we were pushing numbers forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeteM said:

100% - Josh may not be the most gifted striker we've ever had, but he is effective, and his contribution at times has proven that. While I don't totally understand why he's been played up front on his own, I can see how MON has tried to fit him into his gameplan v Austria. We all have the benefit of hindsight, but Michael had a plan prior to the game which didn't work on the night.

Magennis needs to be played up front with someone, either dropping or someone dropping off him to get onto the scraps (ie Grigg). Either way, I just don't understand how followers of the NI team can deem him to be useless, considering Michael O'Neill brings him into the squads ahead of others. Not to mention the fact that a Championship club in England have also put their faith in him.

For me Friday night would have been alot different if Dallas had been played on the left and big Josh on the right with Grigg upfront. I thought Michael was outclassed tactically by the Austrians on the night and I feel since euros he has been to slow to make changes!! Hopefully we have more of a go tonight but I suspect not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grigg can play up front on his own but not if we just hoof long balls at his head all night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could be on the cusp of sinking back into mediocrity but I prefer (!) to think we are transitioning to a new (and ultimately better) system that reflects the typeof player we now have.   It will take time and we will have to adapt.

The thing that gives me faith is the determination MON had to secure control over the long-term planning aspects of NI football when he re-signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, omaghexile said:

For me Friday night would have been alot different if Dallas had been played on the left and big Josh on the right with Grigg upfront. I thought Michael was outclassed tactically by the Austrians on the night and I feel since euros he has been to slow to make changes!! Hopefully we have more of a go tonight but I suspect not.

That's the one for me. Then we have an outlet on the left through direct dribbling through Dallas and the option of a diagonal ball to Magennis wide right.

I quite like Magennis wide right, particularly when their full-backs aren't too defensively minded and small. It then allows him to flick inside or head into box for a Grigg/AN Other.

What he was doing on Friday was flicking it on to space, where no one was anywhere near or anticipating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lisbellawloyal said:

When there was a second striker on the pitch and we were pushing numbers forward.

Not an unfair point.

1 hour ago, omaghexile said:

For me Friday night would have been alot different if Dallas had been played on the left and big Josh on the right with Grigg upfront.

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

Grigg can play up front on his own but not if we just hoof long balls at his head all night 

Totally agree with that too.

1 hour ago, dmcc_gfc said:

We could be on the cusp of sinking back into mediocrity but I prefer (!) to think we are transitioning to a new (and ultimately better) system that reflects the typeof player we now have.   It will take time and we will have to adapt.

The thing that gives me faith is the determination MON had to secure control over the long-term planning aspects of NI football when he re-signed. 

We are in the middle of a minor transition.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be akin to the post '86 transition, where everybody retired en masse and there was nobody to replace them. 

There might be a bump or two, but I think we'll be fine.

51 minutes ago, lisbellawloyal said:

I quite like Magennis wide right, particularly when their full-backs aren't too defensively minded and small. It then allows him to flick inside or head into box for a Grigg/AN Other.

Yeah, me too. Having said that, I'd be tempted to play McNair in that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct about a minor transition, it's about giving game time to the likes of BPF, Whyte, Lewis and Saville, I think Michael said recently that within the next 12-18 months a number of U21 players should also be ready for the step up so things are changing so performances and big game experience are key for him at the moment and not so much results, he's building towards the Euros and these games are perfect for that but with regard to our first two opening Nations League games we created 34 chances and only scored 1 goal which after tonight will probably be in the forties but hopefully with a lot more goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×