OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
exhausted

Line up/match thread

The worry is that both of our international class strikers, Lafferty and Washington, pulled out of the squad and a third, Grigg, who could conceivably do a job if we tweak our system, also has history in that regard. We don't have the luxury of top drawer replacements - Josh is willing but limited, very early days but I fear Vassell is similar. Liam Boyce simply doesn't have the physicality to play international football, he was like a Sunday league fat lad with a hangover again tonight, just like in the Caribbean in the summer.

Bar Saville's shank, did we genuinely create a clear chance? Saville's second one, he did well to manufacture a shot but it a half chance at best, while Whyte's squinty was off a defensive howler and the final one against the woodwork would have been an og.

Lack of game time and sharpness from Stevie and Jonny in particular, which is another worry. If they don't play well, we're not going to win too many

If nothing else, we now know some of the “ new younger players” need more experience and some just won,t make it.

39 minutes ago, green port said:

Our present run of results isn't far away from what it was like when Micael came in, played some good stuff but did not getting the results. This down turn in results will change, Michael will sort things out and the experience gained by the new players will be good for them.

Was thinking that myself.  We'd rotten luck in Michael's 1st campaign and then came good the following campaign.  We've had no luck in this competition.

Suppose it showed we were missing our 3 main strikers tonight.  Not sure if Washington had a genuine reason to not travel but I'm abit more pissed off with lafferty than I was when he first pulled out, the big idiot has let us down.

A little confused about the new lad, Vassel, and what he brings to the squad.  

Still not madly impressed by Baily-Peacock but I'm sure he'll prove his worth in time.

fingers crossed we can beat that lot in Dublin and Austrians next month and get the feel good factor back again.

6 minutes ago, Rod said:

fingers crossed we can beat that lot in Dublin and Austrians next month and get the feel good factor back again.

I hope so as if the Austrians get anything that night we are relegated. It would be pretty crap to be relegated at the same time as having a bad night in Dublin.

20 minutes ago, the kop stop said:

We don't have any international class strikers mate, that's the problem.

Vassell looks a dud.

Is a Dud, never really want to see him again, hes totally out of his depth

Not sure Ive much confidence in BPF i think thats effecting our defence, but suppose he's the best of what we have, would have McGovern if he would get a loan and regular games

21 minutes ago, peteram79 said:

Liam Boyce simply doesn't have the physicality to play international football, he was like a Sunday league fat lad with a hangover again tonight, just like in the Caribbean in the summer.

The commentators were fawning over Boyces first half performance and I must say I agree. He holds up the ball well and his distribution was good. More of an attacking 10 that an out and out striker but he did fine. 

1 hour ago, Villa Mike said:

They’ve a £30m striker to finish their chances, that was pretty much the difference. Decent effort from NI. Really need one of our strikers to step up in the qualifiers. From what I’ve seen in these games I’d give Grigg the opportunity.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

I'd like to see if we can get Boyce and Grigg playing as a pair 

Yip.

There's a lot of negativity about here. I get that, we're on a losing streak, but some of the comments are a bit over the top.

Peacock-Farrell and Lewis are the future. They're both good players. We're lucky to have them.

Boyce had a good game, especially in the first half. 

Vassell, I don't know but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

There was good and bad in the game, in terms of both luck and play.

I've seen enough poor NI teams to be fairly sure this isn't one. Keep the faith, it'll be OK.

1 hour ago, chopper1 said:

Is a Dud, never really want to see him again, hes totally out of his depth

Not sure Ive much confidence in BPF i think thats effecting our defence, but suppose he's the best of what we have, would have McGovern if he would get a loan and regular games

Decision making goes a long way to determining whether goalkeepers are any good. Peacock-Farrell is very young and looks prone to making the occasional error. I think he'll do well for us but we need to recognise that he's nowhere near the finished article

1 hour ago, chopper1 said:

true though of  the goalposts were just a few cms wider we would have got something out of that double header

Its our defence numerous mistakes that im worried about

Yeah, defensive errors are killing us. Lewis' mistake for the first goal was really unfortunate. But actually I think Davis' sloppiness (that led to the free kick goal that was disallowed) was worse. An extremely experienced player making a schoolboy error. 

Still think there's lots of positive elements though. Just need to cut out the errors at both ends!