OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post mortem

1 hour ago, windsor dreamland said:

What's happened to Conor - has he fallen out of favour with Michael 

He's been a bit sh*t for Millwall. Got back into the team and quickly back out again 

One of the guys in work reckons that having 45 shots in 3 games and scoring only 1 goal shows three things:
1) The opposition were poor for allowing us to have so many shots and they were there for the taking
2) Our finishing is terrible
3) Our defense is bad

I tried to spin it in a positive way, but he shut me down pretty quickly.

I'm still feeling positive that we can get a decent win against Austria and avoid relegation.

2 hours ago, eightball said:

One of the guys in work reckons that having 45 shots in 3 games and scoring only 1 goal shows three things:
1) The opposition were poor for allowing us to have so many shots and they were there for the taking
2) Our finishing is terrible
3) Our defense is bad

I tried to spin it in a positive way, but he shut me down pretty quickly.

I'm still feeling positive that we can get a decent win against Austria and avoid relegation.

I wouldn't agree with point 1, the dominant team in a match should be getting at least 15 shots away, and you should be testing the keeper with about half of those. But over those last 3 competitive games, only 12 were on target, 8 of them in the B&H home game. Israel aside, we're going through a spell where our striking isn't great (I wouldn't say terrible, as we did have some bad luck).

But it will click soon. Once Michael has figured out his preferred personnel for the upcoming games, and how to use them, it'll get better. The same goes for the defense really.

Agree with your last paragraph, would love to see a Grigg/Boyce partnership form, they came on against Bosnia home and there looks to be something there. 

I think the big question is not the playing of Boyce + Grigg together or even just one of them, its how we can improve on the quality of service to them. If we play Dallas and Magennis wide they work their socks off for the team but the problem is neither of them offer too much in the way of the quality when its really needed. There is no point playing Grigg and or Boyce then lumping it up in the air to them.

Michaels team selections are going to be interesting now that the U21`s no longer have games at the same time as the senior team so plenty of options open to him.

Much more positive start than Vienna, heads went down for a while after they took the lead, then we woke up again for a while second half until the second went in. We didn't take our chances and got punished for our mistake(s). 

There's a few things for MO'N to think about, losing the confidence and belief we had could be our biggest problem. 

UEFA Stats (Bosnia first):

Total Attempts: 18 vs 12

On Target: 4 vs 3

Off Target: 8 vs 5

Blocked: 6 vs 4

Woodwork: 0 vs 3

Corners: 5 vs 2

Offsides: 2 vs 1

Possession: 53% vs 47%

Passing Accuracy: 82% vs 75%

Passes: 439 vs 365

Passes Completed: 360 vs 273

Balls Recovered: 29 vs 32

Tackles 0 vs 0 (Really!)

Blocks: 4 vs 6

Clearances: 0 vs 0 (Eh? Machine not working?)

Yellow Cards: 2 vs 2

Fouls committed: 13 vs 12

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000959/match=2024085/statistics/index.html?iv=true

On 10/16/2018 at 6:35 PM, windsor dreamland said:

What's happened to Conor - has he fallen out of favour with Michael 

I’d much prefer Conor back in there as well. 

18 hours ago, green port said:

If we play Dallas and Magennis wide they work their socks off for the team but the problem is neither of them offer too much in the way of the quality when its really needed.

Crossing is the weakest part of Dallas's game - which is odd for a wide man - but a primary reason for limiting him to where he's reached in his career.

Magennis, however, I rate as a good crosser from the right wing. Seen a lot of it when he was at Killie.

I don't think we are too far off the finished article. If Grigg can slot in alongside Boyce we could solve one problem. Given Big G and Hughesey's vintage the defence was going to need re-shuffled very soon anyway. A few games might get us out of this rut.

Agreed. And with any luck we haven't seen the last of GMac and Hughsie either...

39 minutes ago, Tarabonga said:

Agreed. And with any luck we haven't seen the last of [GMac and] Hughsie either...

One man's misfortune is another's opportunity?

"Hearts manager Craig Levein believes his summer signing spree means his side can compensate for the loss of injured pair John Souttar and Uche Ikpeazu.

Souttar started the season in partnership with Christophe Berra but both centre-backs will now be out until at least February with hip and hamstring problems respectively."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45905100

Having watched it again, Whyte's header on the initial cross before he knocks the rebound against the post is also a decent chance, he doesn't seem to get any power or direction on it. 

49 minutes ago, Richardh said:

Having watched it again, Whyte's header on the initial cross before he knocks the rebound against the post is also a decent chance, he doesn't seem to get any power or direction on it. 

Mistimes his jump and it hits him on the shoulder, no?

Anodyne match report from The Sarajevo Times:

grbavica-stadium-310x207.jpg

BiH national team defeated Northern Ireland and achieved the third consecutive victory in the League of Nations. The atmosphere at the stadium was great, and Adnan Fejzic decided to take a photo of the match from the air.

The amazing atmosphere was kept until the morning hours in BiH’s capital Sarajevo, and Northern Ireland fans had a good time while eating, drinking in the local pubs, and singing on Grbavica stadium during the match.

That Grbavica Stadium on Monday night was the center of Bosnia and Herzegovina is best described by the photo that Adnan Fejzic decided to publish.

To recall, BiH national team defeated visiting Northern Ireland 2-0 in the capital Sarajevo in the fourth round the UEFA Nations League group stage on Monday.

After low-intensity start to the match and with many mistakes in both teams, Haris Duljevic from BiH team adds the ball to Edin Visca, but he misses the goal in 11th minute. Four minutes later, Edin Dzeko from BiH team strikes the ball from 5 meters, but misses. Visiting team had a real chance to score the goal in 20th minute when George Saville hit the goalpost. Seven minutes later, after Jamal Lewis made a mistake, Edin Dzeko manages to take the ball and scores 1-0 for the host team.

The second half saw more intense play by the visiting team, and in 65thminute Gavin Whyte hit the goalpost while striking a ball from 3 meters. In 73rd minute, Miralem Pjanic sends ball from the center to Edin Dzeko who scores for the final result of 2-0 for the host team.

http://www.sarajevotimes.com/amazing-photo-of-grbavica-stadium-during-bih-northern-ireland-match/