OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
lisbellawloyal

Post mortem

You could see Michael's frustration in his comments last night.  You have to think if McGovern, McLaughlin, JEvans, Davo, Dallas, Ward, McNair and even Big G were all playing regularly we'd be a hell of a lot better than we are at the minute.

All that said, 45 goalscoring chances in 3 games and only 1 goal to show for it speaks for itself.

There are too many key players not playing enough football.

Jevans, McGovern, Big G, Davo and even Laffs before he threw the toys out of the pram. That lack of match sharpness/intensity has been very evident over our last 4 games (except for playing a bloody horrific Israel team)

The results have been a pain, but there have been positives. More positives than negatives from the football.

Lewis and Saville both really impressed me, Boycey held his own. Dallas did well. I am in two minds about BPF but think, with a bit more experience, he will become an asset.

Bpf needs to learn to kick with his right foot. Really annoys me that professional footballers are not two footed. Not that hard to practice considering you are training every day . Although I do think hr will be a very good player for us over the next 10-15 years.

Lewis has been at fault for two goals over the last two games but has still been probably our best player. 

If we are going to be negative and put a defensive player out wide I think McNair would be a better option than Corry Evans. If we are sticking with 4-3-3 I'd like to see McNair take Norwood's spot against Austria.

I thought Boyce held the ball up well and showed a few nice touches but lacked support.

Davis and Saville had better games than they did against Austria.

Dallas did what Dallas usually does.

I was very disappointed with Evans and Cathcart. Despite their experience neither seems to be capable of being the leader back there and they both look like they need Hughes or McAuley beside them .

Won't right him off just yet but Vassell looked awful. 

McNair at RB just isn't working.

Too many games in which Norwood just doesn't have an impact. I'd like to see McNair ahead of him against ROI/Austria (Think Norwood is suspended for Austria anyway). Davis' lack of game time is evident.

McNair looks awful at RB. Surprised there's no room for Conor McLaughlin in that team.

It seemed there was communication and organisation problems in that back line, centering from the BPF/Cathcart/JEvans triangle. It'll come good eventually, but it's unfortunately costing us points (and seeding places possibly) in the meantime.

It's been a long time since we've looked that fragile at the back. But Cathcart and Evans are our two best centre backs, and they'll just have to sort it out by the time the next stage of qualification comes round. And BPF looks technically sound, he just needs to gel with his back line.

I'm not getting too disheartened about the lack of goals just yet. We're playing some good football in the midfield and attacking third, and creating opportunities. Another quarter of a season in, hopefully a bit more game time at club level, and the attacking players will start putting them away.

BPF looks nervous every game, hopefully will improve with experience

J Evans needs to be more aggressive and slows the game down every time he receives the ball

McNair is not a right back, he stood and watched Dzeko drift into the box for the 1st goal

I thought Davis, Saville & Norwood were excellent the 1st half along with Boyce whose touch and awareness was brilliant

Hopefully everything will fall into place for the Euro Qualifiers

1 hour ago, Jack Russell said:

Was there an issue with Lewis' boots last night? Him and someone else both slipped leading up to the goal?

Steve Lomas was speculating that on Sky. He said he thought it was blades that were the issue and he wouldn't let any players wear them if he is managing a team.

We have built our recent success on having a mean defence and scoring at the other end, that defence is now in transition and will certainly take time to gel as the last 3 games testify. There is definitely the makings of a good team here and it will eventually click so as Mick said after the play off loss there will be bumps in the road and that's what we are having now. I still think we will get it right and qualify for Euro 2020 as we are formidable at Windsor and given the amount of chances we created away in the last two games, if we cut out out the daft mistakes, we can definitely take points away from home. There is plenty to be positive about as Neil Lennon summed up well on Sky last night. 

Very disappointed like everyone else but been watching us for a long time and i have seen  worse much worse. We are in a transitional period and it will take time to blend  but i honestly felt over the last 3 qualifying games that if we had taken our chances we could well be sitting top of the group. Things are not all bad some exciting new players coming through and we have a Manager who i believe will get us on track again . 

Way too much negativity on here guys, I've never seen us have such bad luck over 3 games as this, on another day we could be sitting on 9 points topping the group, I've never seen us create so many chances! My view is we can't always be so unlucky or plain poor in front of goal and it will all click into place for the real tournament coming up next year............the one that really matters!

I am very confident going forward from this and believe Grigg will be our man up front as hes the only out and out natural finisher, I don't think Vassel will last too long on the current showing, the rest of the younger squad will get better and all will be good:flag:

5 hours ago, dmcc_gfc said:

McNair looks awful at RB. Surprised there's no room for Conor McLaughlin in that team.

What's happened to Conor - has he fallen out of favour with Michael