OUR WEE COUNTRY
Sign in to follow this  
pjc

Best and worst - Vienna

Best

1. Stunning world class city, with amazing culture, heritage and history. Excellent transport system, superb buildings, and easy access to the Danube, Bratislava and (a little further away) Budapest.

2. Weather comparable to most good OWC summer days - I could even have done with sun cream!

3. Straightforward, cost effective travel combinations. Well, if I ignore the 0130 alarm clock to get ready, pick up mates, and get to Dublin airport for a 0645 departure.

4. Schnitzel and sachertorte, as well as excellent beer and (courtesy of the Serbian waiter in our pre match dinner venue), rakija. My vision eventually cleared but it was touch and go for a while.....?

5. The promise of my first away double header - footie, points, pints, goals maybe, and almost a week away from work!

Worst

1. Getting refused entry to the Oktoberfest type thing because we had football shirts on and were a bit like the English. I am only paraphrasing a bit. It put a right dampener on the first night there.

2. Despite having as much of the game as the Austrians - i.e. both pretty crap - we lost 1-0 and hit the woodwork.

3. Our booking for a "standard twin room" provided us with a nice double bed. Not an Austrian twin - I've been often enough to know the difference - and the hotel was booked out so they couldn't move us. Turns out a number of GAWA in our hotel were similarly impacted. Booking.com got the blame but at the end of the day, my mate ended up sleeping on the floor.

4. Even though we were in a big, comparatively empty stadium,, we were herded into the oxster of the ground. My eyesight isn't as good as it was admittedly but we were a distance away from the pitch. All the more galling when the section below us was bedecked by a large red Austrian fleg.

5. A general observation that the NL has been a bit of a horlicks really. Outplayed Bosnia at home - 0 points. No worse than Austria away - 0 points. All to do as we go to Sarajevo but we know what happened there. Roll on the Euro 2020 draw........

Jesus I remember when these threads were buzzing. It seems Facebook has well and truly taken over.

BEST

Nice wee stopover in Bratislava. Hasn't changed much in 10 years since we were last there, but it's a pleasant (and cheap) enough spot to spend a night in. Great views from the castle and a good catch-up with my uncle.

Boat down the Danube to Vienna. Beers on the deck, super scenery, there in two hours. Could have spent all evening on it. Weather was superb in both cities. I didn't see a great deal of Vienna but every building looked stunning. I'll be back.

Another game unbeaten for the fans' team after a 3-3 draw despite our team being on the Bucky. Well looked after at the local amateur club around the corner from the main stadium.

Wombats Hostel on Thursday night involving flaming Jagerbombs, a supersoaker, and the mysterious quantity that is Mr M Magee (anyone on the NI fans groups on Facebook will know who I mean). Best away trip night I've had in ages.

2,500 GAWA in the stands is still some sight. Thought we merited at least a draw on the pitch.

WORST

Goes without saying, but the access to the stadium was f**king atrocious. I got a text about 80 mins before KO saying to hurry up, and if it wasn't for that I reckon we'd have missed a large chunk like some other. 70 mins it took us to get in. Surely only having 3 turnstiles for so many people is against some sort of UEFA rule (more on this in Bosnia)?

The two injured parties in the stadium. Hopefully both make a full recovery. It's not nice at all to see a woman in a stretcher at half-time.

Bit gutted I missed the square and march to the stadium, pictures looked class.

Another loss. We're on a dodgy run, but I think we're rebuilding and we'll give the Euro 2020 qualifiers a decent shot.

Thought I’d f’d up somehow hughes18. Marty’s blue shorts are the key conversation point these days it would seem. 

2 hours ago, hughes18 said:

Goes without saying, but the access to the stadium was f**king atrocious. I got a text about 80 mins before KO saying to hurry up, and if it wasn't for that I reckon we'd have missed a large chunk like some other. 70 mins it took us to get in. Surely only having 3 turnstiles for so many people is against some sort of UEFA rule (more on this in Bosnia)?

I thought I was going to get smacked on the way in. Got near the front after about 45 minutes of queuing and two guys accused me of cutting in, thought I was getting hit then. Then a guy behind me starts singing anti Glenavon songs, the same two guys beside thought I must be a Glenavon fan and started getting aggressive towards me over that too (I said "Ballymoney" when they asked me what part of Lurgan I was from, possibly didn't help). Honestly thought I was getting pinged.

Best

- Nice one day/night stopover in Budapest, always a pleasure. Roman Aquincum was a bit disappointing though.

- didn't plan to do much in Vienna as I had a good hike around the place in 2005, now regret that a bit but I did see enough new things to be ok about it. Nice city.

- The Military museum was very impressive, loads of interesting stuff without being overloaded.

- nice food and drink, not expenive either, Beer Street was a good spot, had a cracking falafel feed on the Thursday night.

- drinking in a bowling alley post match.

- an Austrian guy miming along to Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus" in another bar after the game, he was giving it loads and he wasn't being ironic.

Worst

- The match\result, the lacklustre first half performance especially.

- the access to the stadium.

Best....

Beautiful city

Beautiful women

Lovely well dressed people and not a fattie in sight(Apart from plently of GAWA.)

Great food and great beer and nowhere near as dear as Switzerland last year.

Worst...

Same as above ,access to stadium was awful.

No entry to Octoberfest with taps on.

Getting lost after the match,spent nearly 2 hours before we found our hotel.

Result.

To all those who couldn't get into Beer Festival with football tops etc - we had been in it in the afternoon with football tops, and no issues. For some reason (beer?) we decided to head out for something to eat but on the way back in we were refused entry, even though we had been in earlier. Easy solution - slip in where people were coming out - simples!

Best

Lovely city. Had a bit of a dander around it. Liked it. Want to go back for a proper look.

Great weather. It was a hell of a contrast to the infamous Prague trip (same time of year, basically the same place).

The apartment. It was huge, and reasonably classy.

The Bermuda Bar. It was basically what you'd expect (rammed with GAWA, and a few locals, drinking beer) but it was all good natured.

The Lamee Rooftop Bar. Nice classy spot. I fitted in perfectly. The rest of the boys, not so much.

Naschmarkt. A outdoor market, with a lot of eateries. Had a wiener schnitzel. They're average enough, but I felt I should.

Worst

It's all about the match.

The fiasco getting in. I know they're only plastic Germans, but are they not supposed to be efficient too?

The stadium. I've been in worse, but it was a bit of a dump.

The performance/result. We didn't click, and the result was about right.

Observation

I've never asked 'Why are you all here? so often before. Odd.

Best

Great city, will be back

Unbelievable weather

Good prices

Great beer

Fairground

Bermuda bar

Great company and Gawa did us proud

Great Craic all round

Worst

Getting into the ground

Result but don’t worry out luck will change!

Best

Oktoberfest on Thursday night, had to take NI top off but it was funny just watching the locals in their gear

Super meal in the Central Cafe, finally a snitzel I enjoyed

Danube island day after the match, just to get away from it all in the great weather and a couple of nice riverside bars

Glad to get back to city centre after the match to knock back currywurst and some beers, I was ready for it

Weather great

Worst

The queue for a half empty stadium just ridiculous

Rugby club closed after the match

After getting delayed leaving the "square" had misfortune to sight the drunken arseholes left behind, shirts off singing sash and the wall song and bashing anything they could in sight. Hopefully they never made the match or got lifted !!

Best:

Only arrived in Vienna on the day so didn't get to see much as had to make the Fans Match.

3-3 draw with the Austrians which was a miracle considering how blitzed most players were.

The wee amateur club after the fans match for drinks and a few songs.

Went to the ground 20 minutes before kick off and seen the queue so headed back to the amateur club and had more drink, watched the anthems then walked back round and 5 minutes later was in the ground, don't know what all the fuss is about :whistling::biggrin:

Worst:

The result